Blaming the Wrong Boeheim... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Blaming the Wrong Boeheim...

Great thread and actually some good debate.

Sending screenshots of random plays is a bit much. The ones above were definitely from a broken down break, not a half court setting. Long games with many possessions, you’ll find all sorts of stuff. I’ve watched a few FSU games this year. They are a pretty scrambling defense. You see guys leaving their primary covers all the time to go for surprise steals etc. Its interesting but appears to work for them (for now). The length and number of bodies they play helps.

As for buddy- guy missed shots. Means nothing to me because it happens in basketball. My main thought on it all is I think subbing him out late and playing Hughes up top might have been a better play. When we built the 4pt lead, that strengthens the defense up top and gives more size down low for rebounding. With 3 minutes left, it would have been interesting going offense/defense.
Good post...on your comment about buddy missing shots, it depends why he missed shots. If he is getting good looks, you stay with the shooter, if you are missing on poor looks because his defender overmatched him, then why put him back in a game when the team is doing well wo him.

i have defended buddy in the past, early last season when he started horribly and others said he should be benched, I said he had good form and his shots would start to fall. In this particular game, that was not going to happen.

thread is called blaming boeheim. i don't blame buddy . he has one skill and does it well. blame the coach for not developing options out top when it ain't working . playing your backcourt 80 minutes is insane.

Sending screenshots of random plays is a bit much. The ones above were definitely from a broken down break, not a half court setting. Long games with many possessions, you’ll find all sorts of stuff. I’ve watched a few FSU games this year. They are a pretty scrambling defense. You see guys leaving their primary covers all the time to go for surprise steals etc. Its interesting but appears to work for them (for now). The length and number of bodies they play helps.

As for buddy- guy missed shots. Means nothing to me because it happens in basketball. My main thought on it all is I think subbing him out late and playing Hughes up top might have been a better play. When we built the 4pt lead, that strengthens the defense up top and gives more size down low for rebounding. With 3 minutes left, it would have been interesting going offense/defense.
No doubt, that was definitely a transition opportunity for SU - which resulted in 2 defenders scrambling to cover Buddy - which directly led to an open 3-pointer for Joe. If people want to say it wasn't a double-team - whatever, I don't really care. But 2 guys went to Buddy - for whatever reason (pretty sure I know the reason) - and we got a wide-open look as a result.

I never claimed that it was a half-court set where the Seminoles had two guys face-guarding Buddy to prevent him from getting the ball. If that's the only acceptable definition of a double-team, then I guess we don't get doubled too much after all.

buddy was not doubled teamed all game. that was in no way florida states plan. watch the game.

thread is called blaming boeheim. i don't blame buddy . he has one skill and does it well. blame the coach for not developing options out top when it ain't working . playing your backcourt 80 minutes is insane.
No issues whatsoever w/ Buddy- he’s the player and will always try & perform to the best of his ability, and of course, he wants to play as much as possible.

What sucks is I feel like JB will structure the next 2 years teams to ensure Buddy plays 35+ per game.

If we lose Eli the best solution is to get a big time PG grad transfer and have JG3 play 2 and Buddy 3. But we all know there is no way JB does this.

Buddy would do great in that role competing for minutes at 2 spots and I doubt he’d lose out but JB wouldn’t bet on him and take the risk.

They asked JB about playing Hughes at the 2 in the zone in a presser, maybe this one, he said he's never considered it.

They asked JB about playing Hughes at the 2 in the zone in a presser, maybe this one, he said he's never considered it.
Hughes has been up top a couple times in very spot situations, usually with game on the line on final possession.

Hughes has been up top a couple times in very spot situations, usually with game on the line on final possession.

Really? That's curious - I don't recall.

Really? That's curious - I don't recall.

It absolutely happened recently.

Of course, it took all 3 of CDB, Marek, and Q to foul out for JB to even consider it.

ps - Buddy played the 3 in that lineup.

elijah and joe bring the ball up every possession . why not pair them in the back court ? go donna .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom