block below the waste | Syracusefan.com

block below the waste

upperdeck

Living Legend
maybe i am blind. the rule states contact must initiate with the opp having 1 or both feet on the ground. looks like air to me.

upload_2017-10-16_15-1-25.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-16_15-0-44.png
    upload_2017-10-16_15-0-44.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
maybe i am blind. the rule states contact must initiate with the opp having 1 or both feet on the ground. looks like air to me.

View attachment 112749

one frame prior the opp probably has a foot on the ground. it almost looks like the opp has both feet off the ground because he got hit below the waist.

i froze it multiple times and slowed it down and never could get contact with either foot on the ground.. full speed it probably looked worse

i'm thinking he's off the ground because of the block but it doesn't look like the block started below the waist. looks like it's at the waist.

I don't think whether he's on the ground or not is relevant. I think the ref must've determined that the block didn't take place from the front, or it took place with ball outside of the tacklebox and that Pierce was blocking him back toward the SU goal. I don't think either was true. Here's the relevant section of the NCAA rulebook.

Blocking Below the Waist ARTICLE 6. a.
Team A prior to a change of team possession:.
1. While the ball is inside the tackle box, the following players may legally block below the waist inside the tackle box until they leave the tackle box: linemen completely inside the tackle box, and stationary backs at least partially inside the tackle box and at least partially inside the frame of the body of the second lineman from the snapper. (A.R. 9-1-6-V)

2. While the ball is inside the tackle box, all other players (i.e., those not covered in paragraph 1), and all players after the ball has left the tackle box, are allowed to block below the waist only if the force of the initial contact is directed from the front. “Directed from the front” means within the clock-face region between “10 o’clock and 2 o’clock” forward of the player being blocked. Exceptions are given in paragraphs 3 and 4. (A.R. 9-1-6-I-II, IV, VII-VIII)

3. Players not covered in paragraph 1 (above) may not block below the waist toward the original position of the ball at the snap until the ball carrier is clearly beyond the neutral zone.

4. Once the ball has left the tackle box a player may not block below the waist toward his own end line. (A.R. 9-1-6-III)

from rule book

A block below the waist is a block in which the force of the
initial contact is below the waist of an opponent who has one or both feet on
the ground.

from rule book

A block below the waist is a block in which the force of the
initial contact is below the waist of an opponent who has one or both feet on
the ground.

There isn't a question of whether the block was below the waist or not (it was). The question is whether it was legal or not.

Blocks below the waist are only legal on certain parts of the field.. Since it was not a block below the waist by definition it cant be an illegal block.

Blocks below the waist are only legal on certain parts of the field.. Since it was not a block below the waist by definition it cant be an illegal block.
Huh?

It's clearly below the waist, and the defender was not mid-jump, so it is a block below the waist. But blocks below the waist ARE legal as long as they fall within the rules described in the rules posted above.

read the rule.. its only a block below the waist if the defender is in contact with the ground when the contact initiates.. if not then its just a block no matter if its ankles, knees, thighs. symantecs.

read the rule.. its only a block below the waist if the defender is in contact with the ground when the contact initiates.. if not then its just a block no matter if its ankles, knees, thighs. symantecs.
I hear you, I read the whole rule. I think you believe that there shouldn't have been a flag because the defenders feet were both off the ground. I think it shouldn't have been a flag because Pierce was legally permitted to block below the waist in that situation.

hmm. it wasnt in the tackle box, the ball wasnt in the tackle box and he wasnt going away from our end either. it hurt us but it didnt cost us.

Ball is beyond the tackle box, block is below the waist and toward his own end zone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom