Blue print is out on how to beat smoke and mirrors UK | Syracusefan.com

Blue print is out on how to beat smoke and mirrors UK

cusetown1

Taxi Squad
drag Davis away from the basket. Well it's obvious, just actually being able to do it also helps.

drag Davis away from the basket. Well it's obvious, just actually being able to do it also helps.
Dare I say that the Joseph/Southerland/Melo front court would be a nightmare for Kentucky?

Yes, I dare.

The Joseph/Southerland/Melo front court would be a nightmare for Kentucky.

Dare I say that the Joseph/Southerland/Melo front court would be a nightmare for Kentucky?

Yes, I dare.

Why would Southerland be a nightmare for any team, especially UK? Guy is his own worst enemy and would do very little to put pressure on UK's D.

Why would Southerland be a nightmare for any team, especially UK? Guy is his own worst enemy and would do very little to put pressure on UK's D.
You lack imagination, my friend.

There is no Syracuse line-up that would be a "nightmare" for Kentucky. But having said that, I believe we are the only team in the country that has an excellent shot of winning a 3, 5, or 7 game series against them. Unfortunately, the NCAAs are a one and done.

Cheers,
Neil

When Syracuse whens the title this year, it will be partially due to J South getting hot from outside in a couple games.

But I think he's saying that Dirty could be the guy to drag Davis on switches...

They are better athletically at every position than SU. We would really struggle to score against them.

When Syracuse whens the title this year, it will be partially due to J South getting hot from outside in a couple games.

But I think he's saying that Dirty could be the guy to drag Davis on switches...

Honestly, if does get hot, it will be either the first game against a weak #16 seed, or a mid-major 12 seed who beat the 5 and then the 4 to advance to the Sweet 16 game.

We know he won't do it against an NCAA caliber BCS team. Love Dirty, but I call them as I see them.

Cheers,
Neil

Teague is the key and a fifth year senior would have a chance to get in his head plus we have three guys who can give him fits. He is the only point guard on the team and if they run into a team like mich st izzo would pressure him all game with 2 or 3 guys. I'm not talking full court press but his guys would be upclose and personal all game long.

Teague is the key and a fifth year senior would have a chance to get in his head plus we have three guys who can give him fits. He is the only point guard on the team and if they run into a team like mich st izzo would pressure him all game with 2 or 3 guys. I'm not talking full court press but his guys would be upclose and personal all game long.
110% right. Scoop would own Teague. I just want a fairly called game in this potential matchup and I would be happy.

Teague has improved somewhat as the season as progressed. But the unsung hero for that squad is Kidd-Gilchrist. He's a winner.

Cheers,
Neil

Teague has improved somewhat as the season as progressed. But the unsung hero for that squad is Kidd-Gilchrist. He's a winner.

Cheers,
Neil
I don't know about winner, he's a good basketball player though.;)

My main concern against UK would be Melo getting into foul trouble. He leaves his feet too much. Davis can score, and we would have some exposure in the middle.

My main concern against UK would be Melo getting into foul trouble. He leaves his feet too much. Davis can score, and we would have some exposure in the middle.
We have 3 centers that are 6'10"+. There are fouls to give. I'd also think that Scoop, BT and Dion could push around UK's guards a bit, but they'd need to out-quick them into the lane and dish. Only way to beat UK is to consistently make that extra pass, because they're always going up to block shots, which also opens up the whole shot-fake, get to the line gameplan.

110% right. Scoop would own Teague. I just want a fairly called game in this potential matchup and I would be happy.

LOL. You can't just say that. Teague has done just fine. It's an intriguing matchup. Jones could really kill us working off of Davis. He has a few inches on Fair/Joseph and is much more explosive. They are the only team that matches us with athletes and some better athletes which is obvious if you actually watch basketball. Zone them and hope for the best with the defensive rebounding scenario. I think they would throw up a LOT of bricks but I think we would really struggle trying to score against them. Could be an ugly game.

We have 3 centers that are 6'10"+. There are fouls to give. I'd also think that Scoop, BT and Dion could push around UK's guards a bit, but they'd need to out-quick them into the lane and dish. Only way to beat UK is to consistently make that extra pass, because they're always going up to block shots, which also opens up the whole shot-fake, get to the line gameplan.

All fine in theory but we seldom make an extra pass and have good ball movement. Still, it's a winnable game.

In order to beat UK we need to go right at them. They do leave their feet and are obsessed with blocks. If we attack the paint and crash the boards we may be ok. We need to attack

Yes, I dare.

Be careful taking anymore of whatever you are popping.

I could see JS having a GMAC 03 NCG type first half where he goes all Jordan Blazers. However, he needs to start hitting some shots from now until then or else he wont be seeing the minutes.

In order to beat UK we need to go right at them. They do leave their feet and are obsessed with blocks. If we attack the paint and crash the boards we may be ok. We need to attack

I whole heartedly agree. The blueprint for beating UK has been there all along. Since we are an average shooting team, we have to nullify Davis' presence. Whether that be by dragging him away from the basket or going straight at him to draw fouls, attacking the paint is key. Davis is actually pretty disciplined and doesn't always leave his feet on head and shot fakes but he is not nearly as adept at taking charges as Melo. So, drawing contact is still key. I wonder if Coach Cal would be smart enough to show a good dose of zone since we have actually struggled at times against our own defensive style and to keep Davis from straying from the hoop. Regardless, the bottom line remains… attack the paint and go straight at Davis!

LOL. You can't just say that. Teague has done just fine. It's an intriguing matchup. Jones could really kill us working off of Davis. He has a few inches on Fair/Joseph and is much more explosive. They are the only team that matches us with athletes and some better athletes which is obvious if you actually watch basketball. Zone them and hope for the best with the defensive rebounding scenario. I think they would throw up a LOT of bricks but I think we would really struggle trying to score against them. Could be an ugly game.

Kentucky is top-40 in the nation in 3pt FG% and has 3 players shooting over 38% from downtown. That includes the #8 player in the nation in 3pt FG% shooting 49% from deep in Doron Lamb.

I'd say it's possible that UK puts up some bricks against a 2-3 defense, but I'd say it's VERY, VERY, VERY improbable.

Kentucky is top-40 in the nation in 3pt FG% and has 3 players shooting over 38% from downtown. That includes the #8 player in the nation in 3pt FG% shooting 49% from deep in Doron Lamb.

I'd say it's possible that UK puts up some bricks against a 2-3 defense, but I'd say it's VERY, VERY, VERY improbable.

You know, my post WAS praising you guys. The SU zone will be nothing like the one Vandy or others have deployed against you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom