Blue print is out on how to beat smoke and mirrors UK | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Blue print is out on how to beat smoke and mirrors UK

Kentucky is top-40 in the nation in 3pt FG% and has 3 players shooting over 38% from downtown. That includes the #8 player in the nation in 3pt FG% shooting 49% from deep in Doron Lamb.

I'd say it's possible that UK puts up some bricks against a 2-3 defense, but I'd say it's VERY, VERY, VERY improbable.
Lamb and Miller sure can shoot. The nice thing with the zone is the option to push out the guards farther to take away the outside shot, though you give up more on the inside. UK has a nice combo of inside out with slashers and runners, and good outside shooters. Would be interesting to see what gives first, the D or the O.

You know, my post WAS praising you guys. The SU zone will be nothing like the one Vandy or others have deployed against you.

your zone might be the most effective zone in the country, but it's still a zone. We'll still be able to put Miller and Lamb on the wings and work for an open shot they make 38% and 49% of the time, respectively.

BTW, I like your avatar.

UK definately can shoot. I dont want to see Miller and Lamb shooting open threes so I think we would extend the zone. That being said, I think our zone would frustrate them with our athletes and also because alot of their offense seems predicated (like ours) on one on one takes, trying to break down the defense. The zone with our length would prevent that. I would expect them to jack up alot of contested threes and we have to rebound. Also whenever each team gets into the paint, I see block party on both ends. Would be a freakishly athletic game.

I think CJ Fair would be the X factor in a game like this. If he can do damage in the paint and get some putbacks and just do the dirty work we would be in a good situation.

I think CJ Fair would be the X factor in a game like this. If he can do damage in the paint and get some putbacks and just do the dirty work we would be in a good situation.
If CJ's midrange game is on then yes, if not I just worry Anthony Davis will have 20 blocks.

your zone might be the most effective zone in the country, but it's still a zone. We'll still be able to put Miller and Lamb on the wings and work for an open shot they make 38% and 49% of the time, respectively.

BTW, I like your avatar.

Everybody says they are going to do this and then they don't. We have faced better 3pt shooting teams time and again and they don't hit near their average. The times we have lost by the 3 in recent years has been from one guy going off for way above his average. Two shooters aren't enough to tax this year's zone - you will need 4 on the floor at once. You're more likely to damage us with 2nd and 3rd chance points off of rebounds from missed 3s as we will push so far out that we only have 1-2 guys to rebound.

Everybody says they are going to do this and then they don't. We have faced better 3pt shooting teams time and again and they don't hit near their average. The times we have lost by the 3 in recent years has been from one guy going off for way above his average. Two shooters aren't enough to tax this year's zone - you will need 4 on the floor at once. You're more likely to damage us with 2nd and 3rd chance points off of rebounds from missed 3s as we will push so far out that we only have 1-2 guys to rebound.

There is truth to this. One could argue that Duke and Missouri could bust up our zone better than UK could.

Have the consensus #1 and #2 teams going into the tourney ever played eachother for the title?

In order to beat UK we need to go right at them. They do leave their feet and are obsessed with blocks. If we attack the paint and crash the boards we may be ok. We need to attack

On a neutral floor, Kentucky would be a 3.5 pt favorite against us. I also think North Carolina and Ohio State would be favored against us.

When I first saw this thread I thought it would be a parody of some douchey UK fans take on SU. Figured it would be something like "UK barely beat the worst team in the south. All you have to do to beat them is be able to make layups and defend a lamp post. I fear them about as much as DePaul."

When I first saw this thread I thought it would be a parody of some douchey UK fans take on SU. Figured it would be something like "UK barely beat the worst team in the south. All you have to do to beat them is be able to make layups and defend a lamp post. I fear them about as much as DePaul."
do you want me to make an edit? lol

No Left handers on UK that's a Plus, No Goose Givens or Tony Delk :D I doubt the 2 Team's will meet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom