Bo Ryan can't win the big one | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Bo Ryan can't win the big one

I think many of you are way off on what Ryan was talking about. Here's how I'd paraphrase his answer to the question about being close to his seniors:

We have our guys for four years so we're really close.
We don't do rent-a-players like taking fifth year transfers. That's fine to do that but we don't so I get to see players grow for four years.

He wasn't talking about Duke. He was talking about Wisconsin. He wasn't complaining and he specifically mentioned one-year transfers. Didn't say anything about one and dones.

I wish he spoke out when his school's football team rented Russell Wilson for a year.

Yes, and he also just made a "rent-a-player" reference. Grade-A . . . . . . . .

Coach K loses a tourney game and goes into the opponent's locker room to congratulate the victor.

Bo Ryan, leader of men.

Ugggh. This reads a little bit like that parody article on Grantland last yr that Andrew Sharp wrote - "Boeheim scum, K all class". Except you're apparently serious.

Most coaches are whining/barking/cursing at the refs all game long. These two guys are certainly no exception. Why society is so obsessed with parsing class with "when they have a mic on them" I'm not sure. It's a little like claiming whoever hires a better PR firm for their charity work is a better person.

K's halftime passive-aggressive "blaming the refs without blaming the refs" thing to me is transparent Calipari-level sleaze. I'm jealous that it helped them get every call in the 2nd half and worse yet, I wasn't even the least bit surprised.

BTW did I miss the memo that two fouls on a player in the 1st half is a big deal? Is this a Jim Nantz jedi mind trick? By those standards our bigs haven't not been in foul trouble since January of 1978.

So with this three year rule, would a player be able to go make $400,000 in Europe or Asia or are they stuck with college? It just seems like BS. If a player doesn't keep his grades up he isn't eligible for college and can't go to the NBA even if he's capable?

Of course they could go to Europe or Asia if they want. They already have that option today.

I'd like to see each NBA team eventually have a D-League team so that kids can get drafted from high school and be paid to play in the D-League as well. To me, that's the perfect scenario in my mind. Kids that think they're ready can go straight from high school like they want (but in a lot of cases, would probably end up playing for the D-League affiliate), or they can go overseas and be paid there for a few years if they wish. Others can choose to commit to a college for 2 or 3 years before they're eligible to jump to the NBA, which would benefit the quality of play in college IMO, and also help fans become more invested in their players since they'd be around for more than just one year.

I'm sure there's holes in this idea (outside of the fact that not every NBA team has a D-League team yet), but that's the best case scenario that I can come up with right now.

I think many of you are way off on what Ryan was talking about. Here's how I'd paraphrase his answer to the question about being close to his seniors:

We have our guys for four years so we're really close.
We don't do rent-a-players like taking fifth year transfers. That's fine to do that but we don't so I get to see players grow for four years.

He wasn't talking about Duke. He was talking about Wisconsin. He wasn't complaining and he specifically mentioned one-year transfers. Didn't say anything about one and dones.

I don't think so - I interpreted it as "we don't take rent-a-players, and we don't take 5th year transfers...". It seemed like a clear shot at the team that just beat his team.

IMO, he seems like a petty, bitter old man.

So with this three year rule, would a player be able to go make $400,000 in Europe or Asia or are they stuck with college? It just seems like BS. If a player doesn't keep his grades up he isn't eligible for college and can't go to the NBA even if he's capable?
As long as it's like the "one and done" it doesn't matter how you spend your time out of high school. Brandon Jennings went to Europe for a year before getting drafted. Obviously you want to go where you're going to get to play and be scouted.

I will never understand why it's ok for every other career to require a person to prove themselves, but people will fight tooth and nail to allow unproven high school kids to get a payday.

Ugggh. This reads a little bit like that parody article on Grantland last yr that Andrew Sharp wrote - "Boeheim scum, K all class". Except you're apparently serious.

Most coaches are whining/barking/cursing at the refs all game long. These two guys are certainly no exception. Why society is so obsessed with parsing class with "when they have a mic on them" I'm not sure. It's a little like claiming whoever hires a better PR firm for their charity work is a better person.

K's halftime passive-aggressive "blaming the refs without blaming the refs" thing to me is transparent Calipari-level sleaze. I'm jealous that it helped them get every call in the 2nd half and worse yet, I wasn't even the least bit surprised.

BTW did I miss the memo that two fouls on a player in the 1st half is a big deal? Is this a Jim Nantz jedi mind trick? By those standards our bigs haven't not been in foul trouble since January of 1978.

Sure, K's comments at halftime were meant to plant a seed. Despite people claiming "well, Wisconsin NEVER fouls", 2 team fouls in an entire half is absurdly low.

And K, JB, etc. all work the refs all game long.

I just think that Ryan (and his players, who frankly, by their reactions, seem to think that they never commit a foul) takes it over the top.

As for Ryan's reaction and comments after the loss, I'm not surprised in the least.

Sure, K's comments at halftime were meant to plant a seed. Despite people claiming "well, Wisconsin NEVER fouls", 2 team fouls in an entire half is absurdly low.

I just think that Ryan (and his players, who frankly, by their reactions, seem to think that they never commit a foul) takes it over the top.

As for Ryan's reaction and comments after the loss, I'm not surprised in the least.

I was reading that in practice, Bo Ryan calls offensive fouls when his players jump into defenders and in situations like the one where Winslow just plowed over #13 with his elbow to his face, so I can understand why the players might be surprised when those calls went the other way. It's also just kids being frustrated that they feel they were right there and had the championship snatched away from them with some egregious calls (and also poor play from themselves).

As I'd said in another thread, it's common knowledge around the B1G that Bo Ryan is a colossal douchebag.

so what? All coaches at that level and above in all sports are. They are ego driven and don't care about anything but themselves. That's how they survive at that level. become a GA at a high level college or a quality control coach in the NFL and you will see how they really are.

The NBA is rightfully concerned about the NBA product and making money more than about
I don't think so - I interpreted it as "we don't take rent-a-players, and we don't take 5th year transfers...". It seemed like a clear shot at the team that just beat his team.

IMO, he seems like a petty, bitter old man.

Of course he is bitter. They loose Kominski, Jackson, Gasser, Dukan and likely Decker who considered leaving last season. The stars were aligned for his program and system, he knows its pretty rare he is going to wind up with a Kominski and Decker on the same team again. Its no excuse but i'm sure he's very disappointed and bitter that Duke had 4 freshman who were super studs.

Ya it feels like the 2 fouls thing is like a Christmas gift from heaven as far as talking points for your camp tbh. It's not like Wiscy was in the double bonus halfway in, Duke had 7; so the 1st half foul discrepancy was 5. Maybe it should've only been 2 or 3. Maybe 1 of those was a shooting foul. Yawn. Not exactly grounds for the the 2nd half circus to happen and call it even.

the first half duke committed 12-15 got called for 7 , wisc commited 6-7 got called for 2. 2nd half Wisc committed 12-15 go called for 12, duke committed 12-15 got called for 5..

pretty easy to see which team during the game caused more contact and got away with far more

Ha, really? I was just making a joke because I really dislike the guy. Didn't know he was acting like a poor sport too.

I'm just curious why you have it in for the guy so badly.

He's not exactly Calipari or Coach K when it comes to inspiring hatred in others...

Ya it feels like the 2 fouls thing is like a Christmas gift from heaven as far as talking points for your camp tbh. It's not like Wiscy was in the double bonus halfway in, Duke had 7; so the 1st half foul discrepancy was 5. Maybe it should've only been 2 or 3. Maybe 1 of those was a shooting foul. Yawn. Not exactly grounds for the the 2nd half circus to happen and call it even.

What was the 2nd half foul discrepancy?

so what? All coaches at that level and above in all sports are. They are ego driven and don't care about anything but themselves. That's how they survive at that level. become a GA at a high level college or a quality control coach in the NFL and you will see how they really are.

He stands out in a cut of the average douchebaggery.

He also looks like Skeletor.

2444762-blog_skeletor_throne_04.jpg

he won multiple national titles in Division III, has been to the second weekend or beyond 4 of the last 5 years and now back to back Final Fours. All without drawing elite prep talent. Dude can coach. His personality has some rough edges, so what? So does our guy.

he won multiple national titles in Division III, has been to the second weekend or beyond 4 of the last 5 years and now back to back Final Fours. All without drawing elite prep talent. Dude can coach. His personality has some rough edges, so what? So does our guy.
Yeah, but Moqui, that's the thing - he isn't our guy.

Yeah, but Moqui, that's the thing - he isn't our guy.
and if he was then all would be forgiven? at the end of the day, is the Uthoff thing really any worse than the Ron Patterson saga?

and if he was then all would be forgiven? at the end of the day, is the Uthoff thing really any worse than the Ron Patterson saga?
Lots would be forgiven. The Patterson thing is bad. However, I'm not aware of JB actively making it difficult for Buss to find a new landing place or limiting his options to go elsewhere.

This is classic in-group out-group stuff for me. JB is in-group = I can accept a lot. Bo Ryan is out-group = 100% tool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom