Bob Burton ... re UConn football, Coach P, etc... a must read... | Syracusefan.com

Bob Burton ... re UConn football, Coach P, etc... a must read...

So their top booster bailed on the program because he didn't like the coach they hired? Sounds like a class act

Funny that they refer to Yukon as a charter member of the BIg a East, but fail to mention that the huskies dragged their feet for a decade before deciding to jump in for football. Dopes.

Burton is an S-head. And his kid was a bust. Go ahead Burton, pour your money down that bottomless blackhole that is UCONN athletics (not to mention that 4th tier school).
I think his kid blew out his knee really bad horsing around in the locker room if I am correct

This article is fascinating. A guy gives a few bucks to a program... and thinks he should be calling the shots. I don't even express my opinion as to what color shoes our guys should wear.

http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article...aloni-firing-I-told-4857720.php?cmpid=twitter

Thanks for the link, CTO

"Now that Pasqualoni is out of the picture, Burton said he would donate money to UConn to hire a full-time person to promote the school's athletic programs to marquee conferences.
"That person should be out there selling the university and should be knowing every (athletic director)," Burton said. "UConn has a lot of opportunity here."

I have a feeling Burton is going to have say in who they hire this time.

I think his kid blew out his knee really bad horsing around in the locker room if I am correct
Joey Burton was/is a very nice young man. He was our starting center on our last really good team (2001) which lost only one game in the Big East. Don't cast the sins of the father on the son. Joey is a loyal SU alum who supports our program.

Last edited:
Joey Burton was/is a very nice young man. He was our starting center on our last really good team (2001) which lost only one game on the Big East. Don't cast the sins of the father on the son. Joey is a loyal SU alum and supports our program.

When Dad buys the farm, does Joey get the family fortune?

A few bucks more than just a few bucks, it seems. Silly for UConn to cut him out of the picture, though. Let him voice his opinion to the big wigs; they don't have to follow it. Kind of like when a child conjures up unrealistic or nonsensical theories, like cars really have wings people just don't use them. "Sure sure, kid (or sir), mmm hmmm... [In one ear then out the other.] Yes that's a great idea we'll look into that candidate. Now, that was 1 or did you say 2 million? Please sign that check, and thank you so much for your great ideas."

This article is fascinating. A guy gives a few bucks to a program... and thinks he should be calling the shots. I don't even express my opinion as to what color shoes our guys should wear.

http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article...aloni-firing-I-told-4857720.php?cmpid=twitter

You wonder why he wanted Steve Addazio the first time? I don't.

Joe Burton's Syracuse profile

Recruited by former SU assistant coach Steve Addazio

This guy is a clown. Just because your sons played college football doesn't mean you're an expert. (And I am not saying I don't agree with him about his stance on the Pasqualoni hiring - I think a blind man could have seen that probably wasn't going to work.)

Like him or not, Addazio would have been a better hire than Coach P. It should also be noted that the money he gave to UConn helped Edsall gain the success he had, and oh by the way, our own DG was bending over backwards to get Burton to contribute to SU's football program when this Coach P stuff went down two years ago.

While our friend Joyce is all class, sadly most big-time donors at most schools want a certain amount of influence. Usually a large amount. Burton is not unique in that regard.

His desire to market UConn to "marquee" conferences is freakin' hysterical though. Way to be 4 years too late to that party, bozo.

"The last time Robert Burton Sr. watched a UConn football game on television, the Huskies were playing Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl on New Year's Day 2011."

So he goes to every single game? Or hasn't watched since 2011?

While our friend Joyce is all class, sadly most big-time donors at most schools want a certain amount of influence. Usually a large amount. Burton is not unique in that regard.

His desire to market UConn to "marquee" conferences is freakin' hysterical though. Way to be 4 years too late to that party, bozo.
So untrue. I have it on good authority that Joyce 'strongly recommended' that JB play the 2-3 zone almost exclusively.

UConn should target an up-and-coming coordinator and proven motivator rather than go after a household name, Burton said.

Well, that's certainly one way to say it...

Reactions: cto