Bob Chesney | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

Bob Chesney

Wildhack and Herm were in Chicago to cut a sweet deal to play Air Force at Wrigley. Obviously!

Chesney met with me to discuss houses in Solvay. He’s gonna love it!

He’s a young guy and he’ll be hungry to prove himself. With that in mind, I think he’ll chooses Assistance and coordinators carefully and make sure not to pick guys who are just “happy to be at this level.”

What kind of Offense does he run?
What kind of Defense does he run?

Most of the time we are looking at a defensive coach or an offensive coach but in reality, he is neither, his specialty is special teams. So what are his offensive and defensive philosophies?

Usually, coaches bring their coordinators with them or hire new ones not keep the ones currently here. Be interesting to see if he is bringing other coaches from Holy Cross with him. Without knowing his offensive or defensive philosophies it is hard to say who the coordinators would be.

Also, a concern when making a gamble like this is if we do have to hire new staff who does he know? Who knows him and will come to work for him who has P5 experience? Will hiring a staff before 12/4 be a challenge?

Lots of questions.

Arizona is a mid-tier state school who is $200 million in debt. Yet they are negotiating with Jedd Fisch on a contract extension that will make him the highest paid coach in school history. And we are hiring the guy from Holy Cross. I get the dynamics, i really do, but man that is so stark and depressing.

If you don't like Chesney because of what you know (FCS HC) and that's it, I don't think you understand how this works. He doesn't get any calls if the stuff you didn't know about sucked too. The fact that his name is getting elevated for our level of job is based on the stuff we don't know. That feels too risky (and to be fair is risky).

BUT, there are people who do know the stuff we don't and JW is privy to that and can get as much info as he wants to pursue, where we can't.

This is why it's a hard no for a lot of people. Risk averse based on limited knowledge is not a bad way to live. But JW is not in that boat.

Arizona is a mid-tier state school who is $200 million in debt. Yet they are negotiating with Jedd Fisch on a contract extension that will make him the highest paid coach in school history. And we are hiring the guy from Holy Cross. I get the dynamics, i really do, but man that is so stark and depressing.
Confused Thinking GIF

Lots of fun reading on here. And looking at this makes me really appreciate the layout of our board.

Question - When did Leipold leave Buffalo and if it was recent like within the last couple of years why didn't Buffalo take a chance on Chesney if he is so well thought of in the NE?
He's been selective about the next step. My guess is they re-upped him last year when UConn/UMass were sniffing around. This next step won't be glossed over with a renewed contract because the numbers begin to get out of whack.

Again, we don't know what we don't know. He may have been offered P5 coordinator jobs already and turned them down.

COACHES THAT WIN GAMES WITHOUT OVERWHELMING TALENT AND RESOURCES WILL WIN GAMES ANYPLACE THEY GO

Don't overthink it. It's not a complex thing.

Hire Chesney. Have competitive NIL. Win a chit ton of games.
This is only true to a certain point. You think you’re going to outcoach 5 stars consistently with 2/3 star talent?

Had a few minutes to kill, looking at the Holy Cross roster

New Jersey
26​
Massachusetts
18​
Florida
14​
Texas
7​
New York
7​
Illinois
5​
Pennsylvania
5​
Virginia
4​
New Hampshire
4​
Michigan
4​
Indiana
2​
California
2​
Ohio
2​
Maryland
1​
Missouri
1​
Georgia
1​
Rhode Island
1​
Tennessee
1​
Connecticut
1​
Canada
1​
St. Francis (N.Y.)

Notable High Schools

Saint IgnatiusOhio
CurtisNY
Don BoscoNJ
St Peters PrepNJ
St. Joseph RegionalNJ
Gulliver PrepFL
Brother RiceMI
DePaul CatholicNJ
Bergen CatholicNJ
DelbartonNJ
Christopher ColumbusFL
PlantFL
DwyerFL
SpartaNJ
West OrangeNJ
JesuitFL - Tampa

Many high level football playing Catholic schools. That's a good thing.

I’m back on the Chesney train. Hire him, get Sluka from the portal, and capitalize on the easier schedule next season. Three bowls in a row. Refill the QB room cupboard while we’re at it. 2025 will be rough.

Last edited:

New Jersey
26​
Massachusetts
18​
Florida
14​
Texas
7​
New York
7​
Illinois
5​
Pennsylvania
5​
Virginia
4​
New Hampshire
4​
Michigan
4​
Indiana
2​
California
2​
Ohio
2​
Maryland
1​
Missouri
1​
Georgia
1​
Rhode Island
1​
Tennessee
1​
Connecticut
1​
Canada
1​
St. Francis (N.Y.)

Notable High Schools

Saint IgnatiusOhio
CurtisNY
Don BoscoNJ
St Peters PrepNJ
St. Joseph RegionalNJ
Gulliver PrepFL
Brother RiceMI
DePaul CatholicNJ
Bergen CatholicNJ
DelbartonNJ
Christopher ColumbusFL
PlantFL
DwyerFL
SpartaNJ
West OrangeNJ
JesuitFL - Tampa

You can win lots of games in P5 football with those players.

New Jersey
26​
Massachusetts
18​
Florida
14​
Texas
7​
New York
7​
Illinois
5​
Pennsylvania
5​
Virginia
4​
New Hampshire
4​
Michigan
4​
Indiana
2​
California
2​
Ohio
2​
Maryland
1​
Missouri
1​
Georgia
1​
Rhode Island
1​
Tennessee
1​
Connecticut
1​
Canada
1​
St. Francis (N.Y.)

Notable High Schools

Saint IgnatiusOhio
CurtisNY
Don BoscoNJ
St Peters PrepNJ
St. Joseph RegionalNJ
Gulliver PrepFL
Brother RiceMI
DePaul CatholicNJ
Bergen CatholicNJ
DelbartonNJ
Christopher ColumbusFL
PlantFL
DwyerFL
SpartaNJ
West OrangeNJ
JesuitFL - Tampa

Good lord that is some serious connection into every major football factory in NJ it seems like

You can win lots of games in P5 football with those players.

Doesn't mean he can pull the P5 kids out of these schools but it's promising. Would also have to pick it up in the Southern portion of the ACC footprint (1 kid from GA, NC, SC) but it can be done with some key staff hires.

Doesn't mean he can pull the P5 kids out of these schools but it's promising. Would also have to pick it up in the Southern portion of the ACC footprint (1 kid from GA, NC, SC) but it can be done with some key staff hires.
Looking at just the heights and weights of the freshman class, there is some decent size there.

Seems like an awfully large freshman class as well.

Attachments

• su chesney.jpg
    su chesney.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 78
Good lord that is some serious connection into every major football factory in NJ it seems like
Do people really think Holy Cross recruits at schools that are minor leagues? D1AA guys are sensational high school players usually and the diff btw them and the guys at D1 is a slight size increase. The QB is inexact so they find their way into D1AA.

I have minimal worry about Chesney recruiting at Syracuse. My big issue with him is the beurocracy of moving into the machine that is SU football. It's not mom and pop at this level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom