Bob Chesney | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Bob Chesney

Bob Chesney coached at my college (Salve Regina) in the late 2000's early 2010s. I had the opportunity to meet him at some alumni events. He is incredibly dynamic and articulate, while giving off some PJ Fleck vibes minus the douchey and cliched attitude. He has been successful everywhere he has been. My concern is lack of FBS experience, ONLY a Northeast experience at that. Can't we do better? Can't we do more experienced? Can't we get someone who has done this before?
When you said PJ Fleck I immediately flinched, then you said minus the douchy and cliched attitude and I started to LOL, because that was the first thing I thought of when I thought of PJ

Coming from a small school and eventually moving up yes.
I’m talking about going straight from a Patriot League or similar school to a power conference and succeeding.
If that’s not rare, name me some examples please.

Where did all these coaches in P5 and the NFL come from then? Nobody said anything about going from patriot league to NFL. He's a head coach at one level and will eventually be hired as a HC at P5. That’s not rare.

Holy Cross is harder to win at than Syracuse?!

I feel like I’m in some kind of fever dream.
The Bob Chesney fan club is in full force folks.
You could say so, yes. That tiny school over in Worcester was anything but a power house. They’d been to the playoffs twice since 1980, Bob Chesney comes in and get them there in his 2nd year and takes them there 4 straight years. They had 6 conference titles since 1980, since Chesney got there in 18, he’s gotten them 5 more himself. You’re dismissing a very good coach that checks a lot of boxes for us for no reason other than no P5 experience.

I would put Sluka in the Greg Paulus basket if he comes with Chesney. He will keep us afloat for sure in year 1. Sluka would have the advantage of having played QB for 4 years and would know what Chesney needs from the position.

To me the transition would be seemless in that he would get involved with guys who are out of the HC range and are closer to the BC range in those catholic networking lanes high school wise. We need to bolster ourselves w those guys.

The portal will allow us to figure out skilled position guys not playing at bigger schools and grab them pronto.

Our trenches will need to be a recruiting initiative asap. The skilled guys will come if the trenches are stout.

I have to laugh. Every single person that has hated this mention it is someone that has 0 knowledge of what he has actually done or accomplished in his career. They hate it solely becauae he is not a D1 school. We hired a former P5 Cordinator in Robinson with a history in the NFL. We hired Marrone who was an OL/OC coach in the NFL and a former alum, we hired a MAC head coach that jumped program to program but put up great offense.

You know what we haven’t tried? A guy that builds programs up from nothing and turns them into dominant programs and national championship aspirations. And he has coached in the northeast for almost his entire coaching career and understands the limitations in our area.

Jim tressel, Lance leopold, I’m sure there are more examples. Why bother shooting for the moon, am I right? What the heck do we have to lose? GO HIRE HIM!!!

You could say so, yes. That tiny school over in Worcester was anything but a power house. They’d been to the playoffs twice since 1980, Bob Chesney comes in and get them there in his 2nd year and takes them there 4 straight years. They had 6 conference titles since 1980, since Chesney got there in 18, he’s gotten them 5 more himself. You’re dismissing a very good coach that checks a lot of boxes for us for no reason other than no P5 experience.
He lost to Lafayette to go to the playoffs this year. Lafayette.

Jim tressel, Lance leopold
He ought to accomplish something more than winning the Patriot league if your going to mention him with these guys.

Where did all these coaches in P5 and the NFL come from then? Nobody said anything about going from patriot league to NFL. He's a head coach at one level and will eventually be hired as a HC at P5. That’s not rare.

I’m sorry brother you are having trouble understanding what I’m saying or maybe I’m not communicating well enough. We’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

I’m not dismissing Bob Chesney. I think one day he may make a fine big time coach. I just don’t want to be a part of the experiment. Just like JW said we are on the cusp of potentially being a good ACC team. I don’t want to waste these years on a guy who may or may not be able to recruit D1 athletes.
If he fails we are set back into the Stone Age.

I’m not dismissing Bob Chesney. I think one day he may make a fine big time coach. I just don’t want to be a part of the experiment. Just like JW said we are on the cusp of potentially being a good ACC team. I don’t want to waste these years on a guy who may or may not be able to recruit D1 athletes.
If he fails we are set back into the Stone Age.
Bob is actually the perfect coach and checks a lot boxes, we aren’t getting a well established P5 coach, we would be getting a retread that is probably in their late 50’s, 60’s looking to score a paycheck. To me the right call is on a younger, energetic coach that can relate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom