Bob Chesney | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Bob Chesney

And now people are starting to post about the Holy Cross transfer portal kids, as if we should be bringing in patriot league level kids.
Would you have taken Carson wentz from NDSU? How about some of James Madison players who are now playing for a 1 loss FBS program? Talent is everywhere, doesn’t mean they’ll start but we are a bottom level p5 team in terms of roster talent and depth

as an aside, are we going to talk about their indoor practice facility. I didnt even know holy cross had a football team, let alone division 1. Their IPF is pretty nice.
I’ve been in it, their facilities are incredible. Olympic quality weight room too

I love the idea of Pasqualoni coming back as the yoda to Chesney's skywalker.

Be amazing to have that type of experience back in the building. Regardless of what you think about P, literally every NFL team has hired the guy. He's a teacher. I do think as i'm typing this we need a recruiting yoda more than a teaching yoda. Chesney seems to be a fundamental guy already.

Would you have taken Carson wentz from NDSU? How about some of James Madison players who are now playing for a 1 loss FBS program? Talent is everywhere, doesn’t mean they’ll start but we are a bottom level p5 team in terms of roster talent and depth
Holy Cross has probably as many skilled guys in the NFl as Syracuse right now..Kalif Raymond is a beast with Detroit

Read the room. Listen to Wildhack. There's excitement because he's an energetic young coach who has a track record of building winning programs. While the Patriot League isn't the SEC, it's a league made up of similarly skilled athletes - generally smaller and less athletic than D1 players - and his teams have dominated in a league of their peers. That demonstrates coaching acumen - something SU desperately needs.

Chesney checks all the boxes except for "has P5 coaching experience." So there is a risk in hiring a coach from a lower level. But if you're going to take that risk, imho, Chesney is an excellent candidate to take a chance on.
Forget about P5 experience-I'd feel better if he had any FBS experience like Leipold had at Buffalo. He's a gamble-High risk, possible high reward.

Last edited:

One off examples :rolleyes:

James Madison didn’t wake up one morning a division one program. Im sure there was some advance notice and they had been planning for it and recruiting for it.

I don't think we should be bringing in PL level kids but their QB and LB would not be out of place on our roster.
big fish eat the little fish. agree with your comment 100%. we have plenty of room for improvement in several areas on this team

I like Chesney's resume!...But, I may be going out on a limb here, but I am predicting our next coach will be Tony White! Why: 1. Wilhack has great respect for him already 2. His 3:3:5 worked at Syracuse and we need to keep that system 3. He is a NY guy and he understands the limitations of the Syracuse situation and so, he should be prepared. 4. He had a great relationship with his players and that is important for any Coach. 5. He is young and hungry!
I'm high on White for all the same reasons you cite. I think he'd be an excellent hire. But there is one obvious risk with White - no head coaching experience. Not all successful coordinators end up being good head coaches, so lacking HC experience is an undeniable red flag.

With Chesney, he checks the " has HC experience" box and has proven to be a more than capable head coach - 111-46/70% winning percentage. Regardless of the level of competition, that's outstanding. But there is one obvious risk with Chesney - no P5 coaching experience. Not all successful coaches at lower levels of competition succeed when they move up in class, so lacking P5 experience is also an undeniable red flag.

So if JW's choice is btwn White and Chesney, it really comes down to which red flag bothers you less. ADJW is looking for someone to rebuild his program. So do you pick the candidate who is a proven program builder - albeit at a lower level of competition with no experience in big boy football? Or do pick you pick the candidate who displays all the attributes to be a program builder, with the requisite experience and success in big boy football - albeit as a coordinator, not a head coach?

It's a tough call. But if it were my call to make, I think I'd lean towards the proven program builder over the projected program builder.

I think both men are going to be successful P5 head coaches at some point in their careers. The question is, will it be at Syracuse? Cant wait to learn JW's answer.

I'm high on White for all the same reasons you cite. I think he'd be an excellent hire. But there is one obvious risk with White - no head coaching experience. Not all successful coordinators end up being good head coaches, so lacking HC experience is an undeniable red flag.

With Chesney, he checks the " has HC experience" box and has proven to be a more than capable head coach - 111-46/70% winning percentage. Regardless of the level of competition, that's outstanding. But there is one obvious risk with Chesney - no P5 coaching experience. Not all successful coaches at lower levels of competition succeed when they move up in class, so lacking P5 experience is also an undeniable red flag.

So if JW's choice is btwn White and Chesney, it really comes down to which red flag bothers you less. ADJW is looking for someone to rebuild his program. So do you pick the candidate who is a proven program builder - albeit at a lower level of competition with no experience in big boy football? Or do pick you pick the candidate who displays all the attributes to be a program builder, with the requisite experience and success in big boy football - albeit as a coordinator, not a head coach?

It's a tough call. But if it were my call to make, I think I'd lean towards the proven program builder over the projected program builder.

I think both men are going to be successful P5 head coaches at some point in their careers. The question is, will it be at Syracuse? Cant wait to learn JW's answer.
I think you had better go back and listen to the presser. Wildhack didn't say this would be a rebuild. In fact he stated that it would not be a complete reboot. That we are not a 2-10 team.

That implies something completely different to me.

I don't want Chesney. You guys are out of your goddamn minds.

You Cant Fool Me Sheldon Cooper GIF by CBS

This isn't a knock on Chesney, just a note.

His QB had 37 and 27 carries the last 2 games. Has over 1,200 rushing yards in the 9 games he played.

I didn't look at past seasons so maybe it was just a necessity based on personnel. But at this level, we know that it's not a sustainable strategy unless you have a few of them you trust to both run and throw.

Athletic QB? Sure. QB who runs the ball more than the RB? No chance he stays healthy.

It is curious. Top 4 total offense but his passing O is outside the top 50.

Life's a risk. And sometimes you just have to take them - especially, well thought out calculated ones.
I agree. Sometimes you have to take risks. But sometimes you don't. It really depends what the other options are.

While that is true, in this case he lost to a team that won the conference at 9-2 and is ranked in the Top 20. Is that really a Double UTF?
When I was debating someone in here about Chesney yesterday, one of their counter arguments was he lost to Lafayette, and that told me I didn’t have to engage in that conversation anymore. Lafayette has a really good team this year, one of those losses were to Duke too. 9-1 in games they actually had a chance of winning.

I think you had better go back and listen to the presser. Wildhack didn't say this would be a rebuild. In fact he stated that it would not be a complete reboot. That we are not a 2-10 team.

That implies something completely different to me.
Imho, that's semantics. Whether you call it a "rebuild" or not, when your program is a national joke, perceived as a P5 bottom feeder and you just fire your coach - it's a rebuild. It may not be a "complete reboot" but when your trying to rebuild a once respected program and brand that is no longer respected, it's a rebuild.

This isn't a knock on Chesney, just a note.

His QB had 37 and 27 carries the last 2 games. Has over 1,200 rushing yards in the 9 games he played.

I didn't look at past seasons so maybe it was just a necessity based on personnel. But at this level, we know that it's not a sustainable strategy unless you have a few of them you trust to both run and throw.

Athletic QB? Sure. QB who runs the ball more than the RB? No chance he stays healthy.

I agree Chip and to me it is an area of concern as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom