Bob Diaco | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bob Diaco

New Jersey native would pay immediate dividends down there.

Then I'd recommend he hire ND coworker Harry Hiestand in some capacity.

Since he interviewed at BC, I"m assuming he would at least entertain HC offers?

The more you guys talk about him, this is the guy I want and it makes a lot of sense. Young guy, local ties, working at a big time program right now.

Any idea why BC didn't select him?
Because theyre BC and suck at football. Nah, they made a good hire with Addazzio but I think Diaco is higher risk/reward guy.

An article i read yesterday said BC thought he has come up through the ranks way to fast and is not ready. Anyone agree?

1996-1997 present Iowa (GA)
1999–2000 Western Illinois (RB/ST)
2001–2003 Eastern Michigan (RB/LB
2004 Western Michigan (LB/ST)
2005 Central Michigan (co-DC/LB)
2006–2008 Virginia (LB/ST)
2009 Cincinnati (DC
2010– present Notre Dame (DC)

Some guys are ready at the young age. For the Syracuse job, which is not in the bright lights of a 90,000 seat stadium or a huge city, his age and relative lack of experience may not be all that bad.

What he has going for him might work for Syracuse. He is the DC of undefeated ND, which is winning because of its D. He also was DC for 1 year at another Major conference program that reached a BCS bowl. He has 3 years experience as an assistant in the ACC. He has spent clearly impressed Brian Kelly, and Kelly is clearly in a small group of the best HCs in the game. He is also part of the Hayden Fry coaching tree, and Fry's former players and assistants have made some amazing HCs. He is a native of NJ.

Add all that up, and he would be an exciting hire, one who interests HS players and coaches in the northeast and down the coast into FL.

Since he interviewed at BC, I"m assuming he would at least entertain HC offers?

The more you guys talk about him, this is the guy I want and it makes a lot of sense. Young guy, local ties, working at a big time program right now.

Any idea why BC didn't select him?
googled him and one of the first articles to come up was from CBS Chicago in mid-December and titled:
Diaco Happy To Stay At Notre Dame If Head Coaching Offer Doesn’t Come

so yeah, I think he's open to becoming a HC somewhere this year ;)

An article i read yesterday said BC thought he has come up through the ranks way to fast and is not ready. Anyone agree?

1996-1997 present Iowa (GA)
1999–2000 Western Illinois (RB/ST)
2001–2003 Eastern Michigan (RB/LB
2004 Western Michigan (LB/ST)
2005 Central Michigan (co-DC/LB)
2006–2008 Virginia (LB/ST)
2009 Cincinnati (DC
2010– present Notre Dame (DC)
Did he cross paths with anyone on the current staff - particularly Schaefer at W. Mich.? I confuse the directional Michigans, but thought we had a couple who either played or coached at them.

I am sure he is a great assistant, but in looking at a few interviews online, he doesn't seem to interview terribly well. He may be a he'll of a coach, but his media interviews aren't the best. He may be great in a living room and with Xs and Os... that matters a lot.

I will actually miss Doug's pressers. When he spoke about what happened on the field, you know he knows his stuff...

I don't know much about him or the other "potential" candidates, but he sounds perfect. Big time recruiter with plenty of east coast ties, can probably increase recruiting (or at least keep it going), knows defense and is young and ready to be a HC. Obviously, he'd probably look at SU as a stepping stone, but that's ok. We aren't getting anyone that doesn't view the program that way. Diaco sounds like the absolute best option in terms of keeping the program headed in the right direction and sounds like a slam dunk. It appears he's ready to be a HC and more than willing to take a job like this one. Get on him!

With Diaco we might lose Schafer, but would likely keep Hackett, and therefore most of our recruits for the offense.

I think if Marrone and Hackett both leave, we will have a tougher time keeping Gus, Laray, etc.

Diaco is the kind of TGD splash hire that TGD always wanted to make. This time, he can actually make one.

Did he cross paths with anyone on the current staff - particularly Schaefer at W. Mich.? I confuse the directional Michigans, but thought we had a couple who either played or coached at them.

Here is Shaf's resume. Seems Shaf and Diaco were Co-DC's at Central Mich in 2005. Can anyone confirm?

1991–1992 Indiana (GA)
1993–1995 Rhode Island (DB)
1996–1999 Northern Illinois (DB)[1]
2000–2003 Northern Illinois (DC)
2004 Illinois (DB)[2]
2005–2006 Western Michigan (DC)[3]
2007 Stanford (DC/AHC) [4]
2008 Michigan (DC)[5]
2009–present Syracuse (DC)

Damnit, he's been too successful! Gotta love that logic.

Not saying I agree with the logic, just passing along what I read. He interviewed at BC, and they passed. Just saying

I really think this is the guy we as the university need to get at this time. A "splash" hire. On paper he seems just as qualified as the guys we have but will be coming from the #1 team in the nation playing in the championship game. Not that means that much to in reality but in perception to the national media and to recruits going forward it would mean a ton.

I really think this is the guy we as the university need to get at this time. A "splash" hire. On paper he seems just as qualified as the guys we have but will be coming from the #1 team in the nation playing in the championship game. Not that means that much to in reality but in perception to the national media and to recruits going forward it would mean a ton.

This!

With Diaco we might lose Schafer, but would likely keep Hackett, and therefore most of our recruits for the offense.

I think if Marrone and Hackett both leave, we will have a tougher time keeping Gus, Laray, etc.
With Diaco's recruiting track record, I'd bank on him keeping everyone recruiting wise even if shafer and hackett left.

I just want to see Diaco's name on the top of the board again

Where in the world is TGD? I am hoping in Miami planning to talk to Diaco as soon as the game ends.

Here is Shaf's resume. Seems Shaf and Diaco were Co-DC's at Central Mich in 2005. Can anyone confirm?

1991–1992 Indiana (GA)
1993–1995 Rhode Island (DB)
1996–1999 Northern Illinois (DB)[1]
2000–2003 Northern Illinois (DC)
2004 Illinois (DB)[2]
2005–2006 Western Michigan (DC)[3]
2007 Stanford (DC/AHC) [4]
2008 Michigan (DC)[5]
2009–present Syracuse (DC)
Shafer wasnt at Central Michigan. He started at Western Michigan in Dec. 2004 right after Diaco left.

Not saying I agree with the logic, just passing along what I read. He interviewed at BC, and they passed. Just saying

Wasn't assigning it to you, was assigning it to BC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom