Boeheim just smacked turgeon | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim just smacked turgeon

While that's a nice sentiment, the stark truth is that UNC and Duke have far and away the best recruiting classes next year in the ACC. Best is to prove having "had enough" on the court and in the game - next year won't be any easier to do that.

Got to factor in who stays and goes from the present rosters as well. If both Grant and Ennis leave along with Fair your point is more valid than if one or both stay one more year.

Cheers,
Neil

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/b...rankings/_/view/espnu100/sort/rank/class/2014

Check #1 and #4 and #15 and #20 - signed with Duke (Ranked #1 as a team).

Check #8, #10, and #16 - signed with UNC (Ranked #3 as a team).

All ahead of our Chris McCullough (#29) and Joseph (#49) (Ranked #22 as a team).

We are both right as I was talking about 2015 class not 2014. They have as yet no verbals for 2015. We have two. I had already moved on to the next class.
Those rankings are pretty meaningless though in my opinion, the proof is in their performance in the future which is often quite different than rankings.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/b...rankings/_/view/espnu100/sort/rank/class/2014

All ahead of our Chris McCullough (#29) and Joseph (#49) (Ranked #22 as a team).
I'll go on record and say that McCullough will have a bigger impact for us then any of the other freshmen will for their teams (unc and duke). Much like tyler Ennis who was ranked between 20-40 is now one of the top 5 freshmen, I respect the rankings but they are not the be all end all, Mcculough is a top 10 talent.

Rankings can be deceiving. Just look at the Kentucky experiment. They won it all one year and land in the NIT the next. Sure Duke has the top ranked class for next season, but they will be losing most key components of this year's squad. The 2003 squad only had two top recruits in Melo and Edelin. The rest of the team were not top 25 recruits. We would not have had Warrick if we did get top recruit Julius Hodge who ended up at NC State and playing overseas. Warrick won a title and has had a lengthy NBA career.

Donte Greene #3 PF (now out of the league)
Fab #1 C (NBA bust so far)
MCW #4 SG (ends up being a PG and a lottery pick)
Winfred Walton #1 overall (never made an NBA roster)
CJ #13 SF
Paul Harris #12 overall (never lived up to the hype)

Recruiting classes 1986-2010
http://www.nunesmagician.com/2010/12/1/1848998/recruiting-classes-throughout-the-years-1986-2010

Review's of some recent classes 2001-2012
http://www.nunesmagician.com/2013/5...ut-syracuse-basketballs-2013-recruiting-class

Thread completely hi-jacked.

If ACC fans are irritated with our Coach's antics, wait until our NYC Alumni contingent makes its way to Greensboro in a couple of weeks. All holy hell will break out if someone grabs a souzaphone and a rendition of Rock n Roll part II breaks out when we're up 20 on Va Tech.

Can't wait to witness a few battles of the y'guys vs the y'alls.

Last edited:
I'll go on record and say that McCullough will have a bigger impact for us then any of the other freshmen will for their teams (unc and duke). Much like tyler Ennis who was ranked between 20-40 is now one of the top 5 freshmen, I respect the rankings but they are not the be all end all, Mcculough is a top 10 talent.

This site's comment on McCullough is "Top 10 talent, sure HS AA." (from the recruiting link above). When he committed I recall hearing or reading that he was our best recruit since Carmelo and might be #1 in the class. Now he's #29?

This site's comment on McCullough is "Top 10 talent, sure HS AA." (from the recruiting link above). When he committed I recall hearing or reading that he was our best recruit since Carmelo and might be #1 in the class. Now he's #29?
Well he got kicked out of his prep school and missed a part of the season but has transferred to img academy in Florida where he is doing well, I think this and the fact that he seemed disinterested over the Aau season led to his drop.

Well, I certainly hope he plays better than his ranking - I know we all do. But to put it in perspective, Roberson was #31. God bless him, I hope Tyler pans out, but he hasn't made a difference yet. We'll never know till CM gets here and gets himself out on the court.

Here's my take on this.
1. Turgeon should probably shut his mouth. He's proven only he's a terrible in-game coach, with awful substitution patterns and inexplicable inability to recruit a true point guard.
1a. We stink this year, no one cares.
2.We're leaving the ACC, the Bojangles-eating Carolina boys hate us, no one is going to do us any favors. Again, Turgeon should probably just shut up because it's a pointless comment to make.
3. JB was fine in his critique of the officiating. Still love what he did at Cameron, good for him and good for you guys!

My only issue was the comment about the 18 turnovers. I see that as a dig against the kids, and that I'm not completely cool with. He's upset at the ACC officiating (if you're not a Carolina team, you will be), that's cool. Upset with Turgeon's mouth, again, no problem with that, but I didn't like the shot at our kids.

Here's my take on this.
1. Turgeon should probably shut his mouth. He's proven only he's a terrible in-game coach, with awful substitution patterns and inexplicable inability to recruit a true point guard.
1a. We stink this year, no one cares.
2.We're leaving the ACC, the Bojangles-eating Carolina boys hate us, no one is going to do us any favors. Again, Turgeon should probably just shut up because it's a pointless comment to make.
3. JB was fine in his critique of the officiating. Still love what he did at Cameron, good for him and good for you guys!

My only issue was the comment about the 18 turnovers. I see that as a dig against the kids, and that I'm not completely cool with. He's upset at the ACC officiating (if you're not a Carolina team, you will be), that's cool. Upset with Turgeon's mouth, again, no problem with that, but I didn't like the shot at our kids.

Its a shot at Turgeon not the kids. Turgeon as a coach should have found a way by game 28 or whatever to limit his teams turnovers but he has not. SU did nothing special against MD to get turnovers. We played our standard Defense but MD looked confused and sloppy. Once they called a TO came in tossed it to someone near the lane and then the other 4 guys stood there and watching him get stripped and battle for the ball all the way to the sideline before SU got it. That was out of TO Turgeon called. Kids can make bad decisions and do the wrong thing in games even great players but its on the coaches to get the team moving in a direction where that happens less and less as the season goes on.

My only issue was the comment about the 18 turnovers. I see that as a dig against the kids, and that I'm not completely cool with.

Nah - it's a dig at Turgeon.

Turnovers have been a huge problem for your team all year, no?

It's the coach's job to to correct that and taking care of the basketball is a mentality, understanding and focus thing - not a talent thing.

Turgeon should have your kids doing better at this by this point in the season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom