Boeheim must read this board | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim must read this board

This team is clearly going to be outmanned this season. If we are going to have sustained success we are going to have to scrap and do the things that we should be capable of doing better.....hitting free throws, taking care of the ball, rebounding and playing tough defense.

Our offense is going to run in streaks. When we shoot well its going to be pretty good like at the Atlantis. When we don't shoot well it's going to look a lot like last year only we don't have a post player to try to go to.

Tonight we didn't seem to have any spark in our step and Wisconsin beat us to just about every 50/50 ball. We are not good enough that we can allow ourselves to be outworked and outhustled by a team with similar talent. We will not win many games when that happens.

This is not a good Wisconsin team.

Just remember that.

"Boeheim must read this board"

I'm not a black and white kind of guy. I'm more into the gray area. I can see both sides of an argument. But about this I am absolutely certain: JB doesn't read this board.

JB needed scorers out there, and DC isn't a scorer. I did not agree with the KJ substitution, but we were screwed either way at that point. We have up the ghost when G and TC missed their FT's in regulation. Those guys MUST make FT's for us to be successful. Freakin 50% down the stretch won't cut it.
KJ offers nothing. Dc offers space. Space is better than nothing.

"Boeheim must read this board"

I'm not a black and white kind of guy. I'm more into the gray area. I can see both sides of an argument. But about this I am absolutely certain: JB doesn't read this board.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if JB doesn't even know how to go online. He might be the last coach in America that would read a fan message board.

That said, this team has severe limitations if DC can't give them 15+ minutes of quality play. TL will get mauled and worn down very quickly if he has to man the middle of the zone for 35 minutes. JB is a HOF coach but he's nuts if he is going to substitute as little as he did in this game. Btw seemed like Roberson was not properly focused tonight and did not play with his normal level of intensity.

Coleman's defense the 3 minutes he played was poor. They got the ball right into the lane for 2 lay ups. He's just slow.

They got lay ups all down the stretch too. He might've figured it out with more time.

Leaving him out almost the whole game while being outebounded 51-25 when Lydon didn't even do much offensively was pretty weird. I'm sure JB had a thought process for doing so, but it didn't work out.

JB has had the tough task of being undermanned the last couple of years. The result is trying to win battle after battle instead of winning the war. He has always played a short bench but there has been almost no garbage time or disposable games to groom the inexperienced. It's become a compounding problem. You need a Chino or a Howard or a BJJ to get to a place where they can contribute but the opportunity just seems to never be there. The only complaint I have is giving up on a player too early (imo) in a game. Ex: Coleman tonight.

The only way DC will earn time is if he starts boxing out or starts getting some offense. otherwise he better get comfy on the pine.

I don't think he's going to get any better by NOT playing.
Isn't there some lesson to be learned from how much of a turnaround there was in Rak's game, once he became a fixture, rather than an early yank? Different players, sure. Maybe DC just doesn't have the same upside. We're not going to know, though, if he doesn't get minutes.

Really wish JB would change his substitution/rotation style just for this season's team. Pick a starting five, and sub-out for rest and fouls, not for single mistakes. We have two extraordinarily different types of lineups in there, when he swaps DC for Joseph. Bahamas success shouldn't be the guide.

Often when I come along later and read through these threads, I find myself wondering, "Did they all watch the same game?" :)

Care to elaborate, Dr. Naismith?

It was a very low possession game. It barely got out of the 50's, with overtime. DC gives us nothing on Offense. Lydon does...most of the time. I understand why JB left him in. We were getting killed on the boards all game, but Wisc. still barely beat us. Actually, we beat ourselves IMO.

according to everyone Coleman played his best game against A&M and didnt play bad in his 5 minutes today.

Ive been very loud about lydon being a huge liability defensively and rebounding at the 5. Coleman is significantly better. That being said Lydon had been significantly better offensively than Coleman. But not tonight. Lydon was invisible offensively. We basically played 4 on 5 on offense with Roberson and Lydon each equaling 1/2 of a player.