Boeheim speaks on grant... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim speaks on grant...

He was there to help raise money for a charity -- not to talk about SU basketball. This is why many public figures will NOT help raise money for charity. They are they there for a purpose. Not to be harassed about their day jobs.
The value he brought to the charity event was being the head basketball coach at Syracuse University and a very large public persona. It was public, it was covered by the media so it was totally appropriate. And as far as his purpose...his purpose was not just to support the charity but also to receive an award basically for being a good benevolent public person. This was not a Jim Gray moment or any other sort of investigative journalistic fervor. This was nuts and bolts reporting and opportunity. Other than the appropriateness the question and answer themselves were pretty benign and people are trying to read non-existent messages in the words.

I'm not a big fan of G at the point, and I don't think he's particularly comfortable there. I've always seen G as more of a combo 2/3.

We should bring in another point. But I don't get the sense we will.

bringing in another pg doesn't solve anything. at this stage he'd be a kid that everyone else has passed over. david patrick type. it won't help.

joseph will be the point. backed up by committee. how many teams have quality backup point guards anyway?

That was pretty shitty. Ambushing him at a charity event where he was doing something good for the community. That is all I wll say.
yeah, this^^ and making an article out of a single "we'll see what happens" brushoff quote in that environment is almost as irresponsible.

He was there to help raise money for a charity -- not to talk about SU basketball. This is why many public figures will NOT help raise money for charity. They are they there for a purpose. Not to be harassed about their day jobs.

Would he have been invited to attend and speak were he not Jim Boeheim, SU Basketball HOF coach? He shows up, as invited, in his suited work clothes to raise money for charity. That doesn't mean he needs protection from his job while he's in the wild--he's doing an extension of his job in the community. Last I looked he was all grown up and didn't need coddling. Equating a job-related question with harassment is just a wee bit hysterical. Harassment would have been if he were badgered about some rumored scandal in his personal life. As for public figures electing not to raise money for charity because they fear exposure to job-related question... Q:"Mr. Boeheim, will you speak at our fundraiser?" A: "Of course, I'd be pleased to help, but no questions from the press, you got that?" It's difficult to imagine that exchange took place either explicitly or implicitly.

Interesting debate on the board about the possibilities and preferences for adding another pg. I'm of the opinion, unless the right pg transfer who is preferably a one or two year player who has value added to the team, falls into our lap we should be satisfied with who we have. We do have potentially 4 guards next year who can contribute. We know that Gbinije is a competent replacement who still could make a leap from what he provided this past season. Who knows, he could be the starter at pg.

Interesting debate on the board about the possibilities and preferences for adding another pg. I'm of the opinion, unless the right pg transfer who is preferably a one or two year player who has value added to the team, falls into our lap we should be satisfied with who we have. We do have potentially 4 guards next year who can contribute. We know that Gbinije is a competent replacement who still could make a leap from what he provided this past season. Who knows, he could be the starter at pg.

I don't think he was competent last year. I think he could improve and be competent. He's playing out of position. He was in there as an emergency last year because they were so thin and weren't considering Patterson.

PhatOrange said:
bringing in another pg doesn't solve anything. at this stage he'd be a kid that everyone else has passed over. david patrick type. it won't help. joseph will be the point. backed up by committee. how many teams have quality backup point guards anyway?

Really? So if Joseph suffers an injury, you're okay with G running the point. I'm not. We can do better. We got lucky last year..

Really? So if Joseph suffers an injury, you're okay with G running the point. I'm not. We can do better. We got lucky last year..

PG is the most overrated position in regards to positions, especially with Syracuse.

Combo guards can be a PG just fine. We broke the press with passing b/w the guards. Plays are run and the players just need to be in the right spots. As long as our combo guards can penetrate, they will be fine.

I think if there is a 5th year G available or Graham, we take him. Not b/c they are a point, but b/c I think another G (especially a true combo G), would be huge for this team.

The reason the offense took a step back when Ennis came out was not because G was running the point. It was because Ennis is a significantly better player then G.

timkay99 said:
PG is the most overrated position in regards to positions, especially with Syracuse. Combo guards can be a PG just fine. We broke the press with passing b/w the guards. Plays are run and the players just need to be in the right spots. As long as our combo guards can penetrate, they will be fine. I think if there is a 5th year G available or Graham, we take him. Not b/c they are a point, but b/c I think another G (especially a true combo G), would be huge for this team. The reason the offense took a step back when Ennis came out was not because G was running the point. It was because Ennis is a significantly better player then G.

Right. And G will be our backup again.

PG is the most overrated position in regards to positions, especially with Syracuse.

Combo guards can be a PG just fine. We broke the press with passing b/w the guards. Plays are run and the players just need to be in the right spots. As long as our combo guards can penetrate, they will be fine.

I think if there is a 5th year G available or Graham, we take him. Not b/c they are a point, but b/c I think another G (especially a true combo G), would be huge for this team.

The reason the offense took a step back when Ennis came out was not because G was running the point. It was because Ennis is a significantly better player then G.
PG is not overrated when we have the most simplistic offense ever that relies on players to make plays.

bringing in another pg doesn't solve anything. at this stage he'd be a kid that everyone else has passed over. david patrick type. it won't help.

joseph will be the point. backed up by committee. how many teams have quality backup point guards anyway?

The really good teams have multiple good guard ball handlers. We had ONE on the whole team. One.

Last edited:
timkay99 said:

I think JB and many other coaches around the country would disagree with you. I think most of them would say PG is the most vital position on the team and having a good one is critical to a team's success.

I get your point, but also if Boeheim was a dentist instead of a high profile basketball coach would the attendance still be the same?

Did the charity put out a notice saying no talk of Syracuse basketball was to be expected?.

The charity had him come on board as the top dog in the event and this charity was trying to cash in because of his celebrity which there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
I think JB and many other coaches around the country would disagree with you. I think most of them would say PG is the most vital position on the team and having a good one is critical to a team's success.

Sure having a reliable starting PG is important, but after that we have gone with primarily combo guards the last decade. When you have guys like Ennis, Carter-Williams, Flynn it's tough to recruit back up guards. He finds guys like Billy Eidlen, Brandon Triche, Andy Rautins, Dion Waiters, Mike Gbnijle, Franklin Howard extremely critical

Sure having a reliable starting PG is important, but after that we have gone with primarily combo guards the last decade. When you have guys like Ennis, Carter-Williams, Flynn it's tough to recruit back up guards. He finds guys like Billy Eidlen, Brandon Triche, Andy Rautins, Dion Waiters, Mike Gbnijle, Franklin Howard extremely critical

Our last three pgs have been primary pgs.

timkay99 said:
Competition... If G doesn't get better, Bus could pass him. If G gets better, then he is better

Buss isn't passing anyone.

I know but we won't have a pure pg next year,which is a bit worrisome .
the best team that JB has ever fielded did not have a true PG, either - starters Triche & Rautins and sixth man Jardine were all combos

there are more than enough tools in next year's shed.

I'm not a big fan of G at the point, and I don't think he's particularly comfortable there. I've always seen G as more of a combo 2/3.

We should bring in another point. But I don't get the sense we will.
sure . . . I hear there's a sale down at Points 'R Us . . . pick up 2 while we're at it

the best team that JB has ever fielded did not have a true PG, either - starters Triche & Rautins and sixth man Jardine were all combos

there are more than enough tools in next year's shed.

That team had a lot more talent than next years team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom