Boeheim | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim

A lot of people, myself included, aren't going to really appreciate how good we had things until JB retires.

Every time I go to a game and see him in person I am amazed about everything he is done. When I lived in Florida and would watch every game on TV at a bar and they popped his record onto the screen and show him I would get goosebumps. The man is a living legend, I do not look forward to the day he is gone, I think Hopkins would do well here but, there will NEVER be another JB.

Igor definitely carries the banner, but you could go back as little as 5 years ago and find plenty of people who saw more of what Boeheim hadn't accomplished than what he had. Sad really.

Well you can go back 5-8 years and find many prominent posters, including a couple of admins on this site, who thought JB was over the hill and maybe it was time to move on (BTW, you can expect just about everyone of them to deny it now - human nature). That was because SU was doing really poorly in the NCAA and wasn't exacting burning up the reg season either. In other words, the doubters had some justification.

Well you can go back 5-8 years and find many prominent posters, including a couple of admins on this site, who thought JB was over the hill and maybe it was time to move on (BTW, you can expect just about everyone of them to deny it now - human nature). That was because SU was doing really poorly in the NCAA and wasn't exacting burning up the reg season either. In other words, the doubters had some justification.

I continue to think a combo of the Melo Center and the Olympic coaching experience revitalized JB and the program. The Melo Center helped him bring in better talent and the Olympic experience has helped him utilize it better as far as sub patterns and rotations. This has helped the defense get better because guys aren't resting as much on D. The funny thing is, I think JB is still learning and getting better with the sub patterns. This team will be a big test of it.

Nice first post. And welcome to the paradise of basketball forums. :)
Hah, thanks. I've been mostly a lurker and very occasional poster on these boards going back to the AOL days - I think it was the Winfred Walton saga that hooked me. Just took this post to actually work up the energy to post on this iteration of the board.

Olympics and Melo Center help but most of our improved recruiting is due to the cumulative effect of program consistency, having a coach that has the second highest win total, and being a regular fixture at the Dance. All these factors adds up to enhanced recognition and recognition is the driving force in taking out recruitment to the long awaited next level. We have finally arrived and its been a long struggle. We should all be thankful, except Igor, whom we have all grown used to over the decades. Why ruin the image by going out of character at this late date? Recruiting is all about salesmanship and a good salesman is someone who is trusted. JB earned everyone's, (almost everyone) trust.

Just think of the football team. A succession of average and horrible coaches but when a good one comes along he moves on to greener pastures. JB has been a blessing to our program.

Not only am I a big fan of Boeheim I am also the president of the "Jim Boeheim Nose Pick Fan Fan Club Club". We disguise picking technique and bugar release.

I think it's even more interesting than that.

Before 2003 it was he couldn't win a championship. Then he did.

no he didn't; Carmelo did. I know it was Gerry hak craig or kueth. well, they were all here before or after. great players don't win every minute of every game, but usually does something significant to
make a difference..

Who gives a crap. We won the title. I dont care if Ariel Castro was the leader on that team. Give it a rest.

Well i was banging that drum as recently as right before last season.

Consider it an epic reverse jinx. You're welcome.

Hey genius: every coach in the modern era has needed an elite player (or two) to win it all.

Hey genius: every coach in the modern era has needed an elite player (or two) to win it all.

Look at all the titles Calhoun won without Walker, Gordon, Okafor and Hamilton.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

It's ironic that he cites the guy who hasn't won anything without a top two draft pick as his model.

nobody in the history of espn has been as good as carmelo

Durant was only better in every statistical category at Texas.
stats are for losers like u. in his elimination game, he was a long distant gunner.

nobody in the history of espn has been as good as carmelo
I thought was Johnny Flynn. Maybe it was Michael Jordan. Was it Len Bias? Isiah Thomas? Akeem Olajuwon? Clyde Drexler? Patrick Ewing? Alonzo Mourning? Ethan Cole? Sam Spann? Major Hyperbole?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

stats are for losers like u. in his elimination game, he was a long distant gunner.

I assume calling a board member a loser will get you banned for at least a month or two. By then, we'll already have won Maui, so you won't be posting. Then, when we're playing great ball, you won't post. So, maybe we'll see you early April when you're complaining that our dino ball kept Kentucky within 10 of us while JB was winning #2.

Boeheim is a better coach than he was five years! The changes he made to the zone in the 09-10 season were brilliant!

It really has gone unnoticed, too, at least by many other than the nerds like us that post here. The 96 and 2003 are night and day from today. Today, our athletes are much better (esp from 96) and is much more of an attacking zone, much more aggressive. I love our defense. I loved watching the Indiana game and seeing CJ, Grant and Baye all block their shots, over and over. The one play where all three blocked Zeller - priceless. That is a result of great coaching of def.

I think it's even more interesting than that.

Before 2003 it was he couldn't win a championship. Then he did.

Then for several years after that, it was he never had a team that was dominant wire-to-wire - even his best teams were 2 or 3 seeds. Then he got a 1 seed two out of three years.

Then it was his teams kept hitting the ceiling in the Sweet 16. Now he's made it past that two years in a row.

He's not perfect, but he's had a career that probably fewer than 10 coaches could match. And he's basically not had a bad team in 30 years, which is the one record that might never be matched.

Walt, you posted all the way back to the AOL days, correct? If so, welcome back!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom