Boeheim's Army / TBT 2023 | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim's Army / TBT 2023

I hate to harp on this, but this is hardly an SU alumni team at this point. Without Tyus and Malachi, there’s 4 players on this team who finished their college careers at Cuse. Additionally, if it’s anything like last year, most of the starters and significant contributors will have no Cuse ties. Just don’t have it be an “SU alumni team” if less that 1/3 of the players are even SU alums.

EDIT: 5 players who finished school from Cuse, so just over 1/3rd of the team. Point still stands though.

Is what it is but can't see this team accomplishing much when it's been musical chairs down the wire to the first game.

Is what it is but can't see this team accomplishing much when it's been musical chairs down the wire to the first game.
That’s what happens when you get very good players looking for contracts. They get them and want to keep the sure $ and not risk injury before collecting. Makes sense to me.

That’s what happens when you get very good players looking for contracts. They get them and want to keep the sure $ and not risk injury before collecting. Makes sense to me.

Don't discount or challenge it for a second. Just is the reality of this and unfortunately is working out against us.

My AAU team gave his Syracuse Select team a hell of a game at Le Moyne back in the day. I was an above average Class B player and got recruited juco but that game was the first time I stepped on a basketball court and knew I didn’t belong.

His scoring performance in the state finals was the best I’ve ever seen in high school hoops. Dude is such a bucket.
My son was on both of those teams they didn’t play in to many competitive games.

My son was on both of those teams they didn’t play in to many competitive games.
That crop of talent in Section 3 was legit. I was on a team mostly out of the Utica area with some real talent on it but that team was just another level.

I got revenge on the Ludden big guys when they had to come to our hick baseball field in sectionals and they were on the bump, at least. But Ryan Roland and Westhill got us in the finals at OCC on a strik-em-out-throw-em-out. Only game of anything that still haunts me. Hungover rant over.

That crop of talent in Section 3 was legit. I was on a team mostly out of the Utica area with some real talent on it but that team was just another level.

I got revenge on the Ludden big guys when they had to come to our hick baseball field in sectionals and they were on the bump, at least. But Ryan Roland and Westhill got us in the finals at OCC on a strik-em-out-throw-em-out. Only game of anything that still haunts me. Hungover rant over.
Who was on your Utica area team and what year?

I hate to harp on this, but this is hardly an SU alumni team at this point. Without Tyus and Malachi, there’s 4 players on this team who finished their college careers at Cuse. Additionally, if it’s anything like last year, most of the starters and significant contributors will have no Cuse ties. Just don’t have it be an “SU alumni team” if less that 1/3 of the players are even SU alums.

EDIT: 5 players who finished school from Cuse, so just over 1/3rd of the team. Point still stands though.
You don’t have to watch.

You don’t have to watch.
I guess everyone is different. I'll watch one random dude playing overseas in the middle of the night if it's available. So, of course, I'm going to watch a team named after a coach I followed the last 47 years sprinkled with a few of his former players, including his son. Looking forward to seeing what Chukwu and Xmas bring to the table.

You don’t have to watch.
Of course they don’t have to watch, but it sounds like they want to watch and just miss the old product.
I will say once you get past the first round of games I think the play is really solid. Good level of talent so far.

I always look forward to BA, although I don't watch any TBT games that "we" aren't playing in. If BA loses, my interest in the rest of the TBT games drops to zero.

It would be great to see an all-Orange BA but that will never happen again. College ball has totally changed with the portal, NIL, and early NBA entry. As a result, 4 or even 3 year players are going the way of the dinosaur. If a player doesn't ever see himself starting, he will hit the portal. Often after his sophomore year. If a coach doesn't see the player ever starting or becoming a major contributor, he has "the talk" with him. Often after his sophomore year. Too many other shiny objects out there in the portal.

I like watching BA for the same reason that I enjoyed watching the Old Timers' games that used to accompany a regular season SU game once a year...to see former players once again. Perhaps they may have lost some of their talent, but it is nice to see their face once more.

We may have a team with only half (or fewer) former Orangemen, but I'll watch a Trailblazer's game to see only one Jerami Grant. So this would be more players...

Rak, Andrew, BJ, Chris, Jimmy, Paschal, Malachi...welcome back. Great to see you again.

It is a mid-summer Orange fix, and that is more than fine with me.

You don’t have to watch.

Cool. Just because my post wasn’t in the rah-rah spirit doesn’t mean that I’m not going to watch or that I’m not interested in it for the Cuse players that are on the team.

Since this is intended to be a platform for discussion, what do you think, should a team be considered an alumni team when a majority of the players aren’t alumni?

I’m excited to watch the Cuse players tomorrow. Go Cuse!

I always look forward to BA, although I don't watch any TBT games that "we" aren't playing in. If BA loses, my interest in the rest of the TBT games drops to zero.

It would be great to see an all-Orange BA but that will never happen again. College ball has totally changed with the portal, NIL, and early NBA entry. As a result, 4 or even 3 year players are going the way of the dinosaur. If a player doesn't ever see himself starting, he will hit the portal. Often after his sophomore year. If a coach doesn't see the player ever starting or becoming a major contributor, he has "the talk" with him. Often after his sophomore year. Too many other shiny objects out there in the portal.

I like watching BA for the same reason that I enjoyed watching the Old Timers' games that used to accompany a regular season SU game once a year...to see former players once again. Perhaps they may have lost some of their talent, but it is nice to see their face once more.

We may have a team with only half (or fewer) former Orangemen, but I'll watch a Trailblazer's game to see only one Jerami Grant. So this would be more players...

Rak, Andrew, BJ, Chris, Jimmy, Paschal, Malachi...welcome back. Great to see you again.

It is a mid-summer Orange fix, and that is more than fine with me.

Unfortunately I think Malachi is a no go too.

Unfortunately I think Malachi is a no go too.
You're right. Hopefully, we will get Tyus if we advance far enough.

In theory, between Paschal and Rak (and Jimmy), we should always have an SU guy on the court at center. Between Chris and Jimmy, we should have an SU guy at the 4 at all times unless we go small. The other three spots are a crap shoot, except we have no bona fide SU point guard.

Plenty of other reasons to.

Rakeem Christmas, Andrew White, BJ Johnson (sort of), Chukwu, Malachi, McCullough.

Plus I am sure JB will be in attendance and possibly a lot of the current players.
One guy who both came here out of HS and stayed more than a year, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom