Boeheim's Army vs Gael Nation Game Thread | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim's Army vs Gael Nation Game Thread

I was pretty happy to be able to watch meaningful (to me) basketball again. Fun to see those guys playing.

Always neat to see these guys play.

Though seeing the ball skipped to Donte's wing while he and Devendorf stand like statues is both funny and a little painful.

Wow that game was something else. My observation is that unfortunately this team is dead in the water. With upsets happening around them, who knows what will happen, but they are not a good team as currently operating.

1. Donte Greene - holy cow he missed 14 shots en route to 31 points. That has NBA written all over it because all anyone looks at is the 31 points. He was so lazy it was amazing, just chucking. He had a size advantage on just about everybody and it was 26 footer after 26 footer.
2. Rick Jackson - If they got him the ball on 70% of all possessions, we'd win by 40. But the team is all chuckers. When Cooney is the only guy passing up 3's to get something better, you know you have some issues.
3. Gillon - Well, he is still Gillon. Goes from an amazing performance yesterday to hideous today. The inconsistency that we saw from him all last year. Still hits his FTs though.
4. Zone - The zone was actually effective for a large part of the game at generating steals, but the 3 ball has dominated this tournament since it's inception. I will also point out that a combo of Gillon and Devo at the top of the zone is possibly the worst incarnation of the SU zone in the history of the Ottoman Empire. While at the same time, Cooney and Triche up top is highly solid.
5. Triche - Dude did not miss a single shot in this game. 100% FG, 100% FT, 100% 3FG, and added 5 assists. Compare that to the efficiency of Greene.
6. Style of play - This team lacks any kind of discipline and their game strategy is non-existent. That catches up to you later in the tourney (as it has every year). Can't just win on size and better talent when you have a huge number of possessions with no passes and early shot clock deep 3's while up 12 points.
7. Adding Southerland - Maybe it will give some people a breather, but why do we need another guy jacking 3's? If he and Greene can use their size to post up and get o-rebs, this team could be unstoppable. Something tells me though that it will just be more bombs away.
8. Devo - Guy is tough as nails and still has blow by speed and craft moves.
9. CJ - seemed to be a no show last night. This type of tournament seems tailor made for him to dominate. I bet he will bounce back and lead the team in scoring at least one game if we play a couple more.

I wasn't able to watch the last 12 minutes of the game. We were still up 15 or so when I had to leave. It looked like early in the 2nd half we were focusing on moving the ball and not settling for 3's. Looking at the box score it looks like we only shot 6 3-fga in the 2nd half? What was the reason for that? Typically we have 4 shooters on the floor at once, I don't mind shooting a three on every possession if we find an open one.

In the first half I noticed Cooney and Donte getting into it a little bit, Donte was asking for the ball (shocking) and Cooney came down and drilled a 3. Next possession Donte whipped a bad pass at him that was a TO. I might have been looking too deeply into it though.

Rak or Arinze would be a big addition to the team, as much as I love Rick he has never really developed any post moves other than his lefty 1/2 hook shot.

Wow that game was something else. My observation is that unfortunately this team is dead in the water. With upsets happening around them, who knows what will happen, but they are not a good team as currently operating.

1. Donte Greene - holy cow he missed 14 shots en route to 31 points. That has NBA written all over it because all anyone looks at is the 31 points. He was so lazy it was amazing, just chucking. He had a size advantage on just about everybody and it was 26 footer after 26 footer.
2. Rick Jackson - If they got him the ball on 70% of all possessions, we'd win by 40. But the team is all chuckers. When Cooney is the only guy passing up 3's to get something better, you know you have some issues.
3. Gillon - Well, he is still Gillon. Goes from an amazing performance yesterday to hideous today. The inconsistency that we saw from him all last year. Still hits his FTs though.
4. Zone - The zone was actually effective for a large part of the game at generating steals, but the 3 ball has dominated this tournament since it's inception. I will also point out that a combo of Gillon and Devo at the top of the zone is possibly the worst incarnation of the SU zone in the history of the Ottoman Empire. While at the same time, Cooney and Triche up top is highly solid.
5. Triche - Dude did not miss a single shot in this game. 100% FG, 100% FT, 100% 3FG, and added 5 assists. Compare that to the efficiency of Greene.
6. Style of play - This team lacks any kind of discipline and their game strategy is non-existent. That catches up to you later in the tourney (as it has every year). Can't just win on size and better talent when you have a huge number of possessions with no passes and early shot clock deep 3's while up 12 points.
7. Adding Southerland - Maybe it will give some people a breather, but why do we need another guy jacking 3's? If he and Greene can use their size to post up and get o-rebs, this team could be unstoppable. Something tells me though that it will just be more bombs away.
8. Devo - Guy is tough as nails and still has blow by speed and craft moves.
9. CJ - seemed to be a no show last night. This type of tournament seems tailor made for him to dominate. I bet he will bounce back and lead the team in scoring at least one game if we play a couple more.
Dead in the water? I think you might be overreacting. Triche's injury was a huge factor in the second half. Obviously we missed his defense and offense, but the depth at guard has allowed Blackwell to go with three-guard lineups, which he couldn't do as much with Triche out. That meant extended minutes for Greene, Fair and Jackson, and as someone mentioned earlier, they were all gassed. Triche should be healthy for Team Fancy and the addition of Southerland will be huge. You said it yourself, the 3 ball has dominated this tournament, so I don't see the problem with having multiple outside shooters. Could there - should there - be better shot selection? Absolutely. Even so, we win by at least 30 if Triche is healthy, and then everyone is talking about a cakewalk to the championship. I like the wake-up call.

Yeah Donte had 32 pts today. 5-12 from 3. That's pretty good. Wouldn't have won without him.
He was 9/23 overall. That = less than 40%. He is a mixed blessing at best. Not good for team chemistry and team play. You don't shoot less than 40% and win too many games.

He was 9/23 overall. That = less than 40%. He is a mixed blessing at best. Not good for team chemistry and team play. You don't shoot less than 40% and win too many games.

Donte has always seemed like a likable guy off the court, but I really disliked his game at Cuse. The shot selection and defense were so frustrating. Sounds like he's still the same.

Donte may be the downfall if he just wants to stand around on D, and chuck on O. Trying to be the star. James can take his spot, and he can hit the pine, but doubt he gets taken out. I thought they would win it all when seeing the roster, but only a few play consistently hard.

We started out the game in man to man.
We switched to zone in the first half after we had a nice lead,

It doesn't really matter but we played zone the entire game yesterday. I don't think we played man for a single possession.

Donte may be the downfall if he just wants to stand around on D, and chuck on O. Trying to be the star. James can take his spot, and he can hit the pine, but doubt he gets taken out. I thought they would win it all when seeing the roster, but only a few play consistently hard.
You'd think nearly a quarter million for 6 pick-up basketball games would be enough of a motivator.

Dead in the water? I think you might be overreacting. Triche's injury was a huge factor in the second half. Obviously we missed his defense and offense, but the depth at guard has allowed Blackwell to go with three-guard lineups, which he couldn't do as much with Triche out. That meant extended minutes for Greene, Fair and Jackson, and as someone mentioned earlier, they were all gassed. Triche should be healthy for Team Fancy and the addition of Southerland will be huge. You said it yourself, the 3 ball has dominated this tournament, so I don't see the problem with having multiple outside shooters. Could there - should there - be better shot selection? Absolutely. Even so, we win by at least 30 if Triche is healthy, and then everyone is talking about a cakewalk to the championship. I like the wake-up call.

I'm not so much reacting to the comeback or anything. It is the same issues I am seeing that have prevented this squad from really being a player in this tournament in all previous years. They have no discipline, terrible shot selection, always take the easy way out on offense, and are far too lazy to play the zone very well. What I saw was Rick Jackson being essentially unstoppable and totally underused. I see no reason to think that won't continue. We'll see - if BA gets/stays hot from deep they will keep winning.

You'd think nearly a quarter million for 6 pick-up basketball games would be enough of a motivator.

Sure would, and he's still young so it shouldn't be an age thing. Same ole Donte. Just wants to shoot the ball. Not use his size to score, or battle on D down low.

He apparently shot 12 3s. Not sure what that translates in TS% but we as basketball fans need to stop using FG% as a measure when teams shoot so many 3s now.

I'm not so much reacting to the comeback or anything. It is the same issues I am seeing that have prevented this squad from really being a player in this tournament in all previous years. They have no discipline, terrible shot selection, always take the easy way out on offense, and are far too lazy to play the zone very well. What I saw was Rick Jackson being essentially unstoppable and totally underused. I see no reason to think that won't continue. We'll see - if BA gets/stays hot from deep they will keep winning.

Everything you said is why they need Triche on the court. He plays the best defense and is the one guy who isn't a chucker and gets it to Jackson. Fair didn't play well yesterday, but he tries on defense and is a willing passer as well.

Love Devo's scoring ability, but the Gillon/Devo combination on d is an abomination and Gillon never passes inside.

Most of them are not in playing shape. They were gassed. Expect more collapses unless we get more bodies like South and Triche coming back. It was not lack of effort. They want the money. They played at a faster pace than their bodies could sustain. They need to slow it down in the second half, lots of time outs and substitutions. Should have milked the lead. Let Greene take 3's when he has a decent look, but stop with the circus shots. He took nearly twice as many shots as anyone else. Use our height to control the boards. Sure could use XMAS or Mookie.

I disagree completely. His shot selection and lack of work inside is why it was close. Any of our guys could have scored if we actually worked the offense but that didn't happen at all whenever Greene got it. He just chucked. What was also sad was his flailing calling for the ball every times he didn't have it.

We're not winning 4 more if he plays that way for as many minutes every game.

Donte had 20 pts in the first half. We led by 15. I'll take that all day. 32 pts on 5-12 from 3 is excellent. Some of his 3's were really deep, but he hit a couple of them.

Donte had 20 pts in the first half. We led by 15. I'll take that all day. 32 pts on 5-12 from 3 is excellent. Some of his 3's were really deep, but he hit a couple of them.
his second half was atrocious. Maybe he is only good for 1/2?

When square, Donte's fine. But what he still hasn't learned is what a good shot is and what a bad one is. He was taking off-balanced 25 footers. That's always been my issue with him. Don't fault the kid for leaving, but even during his one year at SU it took him 15 shots to score 17.7 ppg.

his second half was atrocious. Maybe he is only good for 1/2?

"was able to cut a 22-point lead down to tie the game behind hot perimeter shooting and stellar defense. Baskets from Eric Devendorf and Greene helped keep the Army afloat"

"After a raucous dunk by GaelNation, Green sank two to tie the game again"

"Iona drew first blood in extra time with a deep three as the shot clock expired, but Donte answered with a triple of his own to tie the game again"

"CJ Fair then made two free throws after getting fouled and followed it up with a lob on the break to Donte, giving the army a four point cushion"

"After another stop, Greene was fouled and made two free throws, all but securing the victory."

12 pts in the 2nd half and overtimes. He made shots when it counted.

The worst thing that happened with Donte was being the only good offensive weapon we had that year. He had as big a green light as GMac in his last year. Same circumstances.

The worst thing that happened with Donte was being the only good offensive weapon we had that year. He had as big a green light as GMac in his last year. Same circumstances.

He was the only deep threat on the team after Devo went down. Jonny could shoot them and make them but that wasn't really his game. Donte had the green light from the staff plus there wasn't really anyone to replace his offense with off the bench. That may have been the least experienced JB team ever once Devo went down.

Freshman: Jonny, Scoop, Donte, Rick
Sophomore: Paul (most experienced player on the team) Arinze (off of his redshirt)
Junior: Kristof (JUCO)

He was the only deep threat on the team after Devo went down. Jonny could shoot them and make them but that wasn't really his game. Donte had the green light from the staff plus there wasn't really anyone to replace his offense with off the bench. That may have been the least experienced JB team ever once Devo went down.

Freshman: Jonny, Scoop, Donte, Rick
Sophomore: Paul (most experienced player on the team) Arinze (off of his redshirt)
Junior: Kristof (JUCO)

I think the problem wasn't necessarily him shooting a lot, but moreso him taking a lot of bad shots. You can shoot a lot and still have good shot selection. He just took way too many bad ones. But like you said, the whole team was young.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom