Boeheim's ejection 1 year later | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim's ejection 1 year later

After Boeheim was ejected last year at Duke, a lot of people here argued that it was actually a good thing it happened, because we have to stand up for ourselves to the officials who always seem to side with Duke.

My question is: do folks still agree with that assertion, or were people just caught up in the emotion of that game? I only ask because it seemed like the refs missed some very blatant calls Saturday night that hurt us.

well we are 19-13 since then which sounds more like a Florida State record than a Syracuse record.

It doesn't even have to be loss. The better you are grade out the better conferences you generally work, and conference tourneys and post season tourneys all bringing with them bonuses and pay raises. The worse you are you basically find your self never getting raises and banished to the far end of D1 bball.

I thought it was the conferences that hired refs.. not the NCAA. Conferences do oversight as they wish, and NCAA plays no role other than setting the rules / interpretations.

I loved it at the time, but the year since the ejection is among the worst stretches in Boeheim's career. Not claiming that the two are related as there are a ton of outside factors (i.e. early exits and injuries) but the fact remains.

After Boeheim was ejected last year at Duke, a lot of people here argued that it was actually a good thing it happened, because we have to stand up for ourselves to the officials who always seem to side with Duke.

My question is: do folks still agree with that assertion, or were people just caught up in the emotion of that game? I only ask because it seemed like the refs missed some very blatant calls Saturday night that hurt us.

Every basketball game I've ever been associated with the losing team feels the referees did a bad job. The winning team never complains about the refs.

Last year when the Orange beat Duke at home the foul ratio was 30 to 15 with Duke having 30 (I don't remember the exact numbers). Last year when Duke beat the Orange at Duke the foul ratio was 30 to 15 against the Orange. This year at home it was 16 fouls to 17 fouls.

I don't care how the referees call the game as long as they call it the same way at both ends of the court.

I just wish the rules around what is charge and what is a blocking foul was more clearly defined so that referees would not have such a big role in the outcome of big games. It just seems the referees more often than not end up making huge calls in favor of the home team.

Every basketball game I've ever been associated with the losing team feels the referees did a bad job. The winning team never complains about the refs.

Last year when the Orange beat Duke at home the foul ratio was 30 to 15 with Duke having 30 (I don't remember the exact numbers). Last year when Duke beat the Orange at Duke the foul ratio was 30 to 15 against the Orange. This year at home it was 16 fouls to 17 fouls.

I don't care how the referees call the game as long as they call it the same way at both ends of the court.

I just wish the rules around what is charge and what is a blocking foul was more clearly defined so that referees would not have such a big role in the outcome of big games. It just seems the referees more often than not end up making huge calls in favor of the home team.
The thing is, that game at the Dome Duke exclusively shot threes for their offense. You're not going to get the edge in fouls when you skew your offense to outside shooting that much.

The thing is, that game at the Dome Duke exclusively shot threes for their offense. You're not going to get the edge in fouls when you skew your offense to outside shooting that much.

I did check that. I just remember thinking they did to us what we did to them. Again, I wish the NCAA worked a little harder at getting referees to make charge and block calls more consistently and a little less time on whatever it is they do that got us banned.

I just liked the fire he showed at his age. I didn't expect things to change. It was just an incredibly horrendous call, especially given the circumstances and the fact that the ref had his back to it.

I read the post title "Boeheim's ejection 1 year later" And it got me thinking, Doesn't the commercial issue a caveat to call your Doctor if your ejection lasts more than 4 hours?

Not saying it was insurmountable. Just saying I don't think it cost us the game.

Fact is, if a player exhibited the lack of discipline that coach did at the end of that game, that player would have been roasted by everyone for years by us and the coach.

Fact is, if a player exhibited the lack of discipline that coach did at the end of that game, that player would have been roasted by everyone for years by us and the coach.

it's the job of the coach to react to calls, not the players. JB might have over-done it but the expectations for a coach and player are different.

It was a 2 point game with I believe 10 seconds left. Villanova beat us this year down 5 points with 13 seconds left.

Obviously it was a dire situation, but nowhere close to be insurmountable.
But, Nova had the ball. 3-pointer, bogus steal, layup. In Durham, Duke had the ball. If they make only one of two free throws, we need to go the length of the court for a Hail Mary 3 to get to OT.

There were about 10 seconds left, down 2 with Duke taking the ball out and with them shooting 2 FTs if they got fouled. There were several scenarios that would produce a win for SU, none of them were likely to happen obviously but it wasn't a 1 in a 100 chance of winning either.

I mean, it's a one possession game with 10 seconds to go - that's not impossible to overcome. SU might've even got 2 possessions in that time period if they played quick and smart.

Boeheim apologized to the team afterwards as he should have. He didn't cost them the game, he cost them a chance at winning the game. And, we'll never know what might've happened.

FYI to the "sending a message", "he had to do it", "good for him" crowd: the emotional outburst had zero impact on the refs in that game, every game since, and every game he will coach in the future.

It's on the coach to work (scream at) the refs, not the players. Not apples to apples.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom