Bold predictions for the NW game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bold predictions for the NW game

Don't forget that it's going to be windy, outside in Chicago with the sun going down. After that, I think we will see a rebound and I would not be surprised if we steal this one. Want to see some big runs!!

No it wouldn't.

not including the Pinstripe Bowl in which we didnt even attempt to pass because we were so ground dominant..we were only under 280 4 times last year. We had games with 482, 356, 385, 335 yards passing. I would consider that a below average day passing compared to last season. I realize its not the same team..it was just an observation.

2 out of the 4 games i referenced in which we passed for under 280 yards we lost. We beat Louisville and Temple without reaching that yardage in the air.

Would be interesting to know what other issues concern you about this game as you noted in the beginning of your post.

I'm worried about the team's mental state heading into this game. They put so much prep into Penn State, and I never liked that this particular road game was one week later.

I'm worried about Northwestern's RB. We did a great job on Zwinak, but this kid has more general talent. And if they can run, which teams tend to do better at home, we've got a real problem.

I'm worried about turnovers. Kind of goes with the intangibles thing, but Northwestern just has a way of forcing them. Neither pick 6 last week was anything you could blame too much on the QB. One deflection at the line and one dropped pass that just hung up there for the DB.

Mostly I'm worried that our offense isn't all that good right now, and won't improve much this week.

not including the Pinstripe Bowl in which we didnt even attempt to pass because we were so ground dominant..we were only under 280 4 times last year. We had games with 482, 356, 385, 335 yards passing. I would consider that a below average day passing compared to last season. I realize its not the same team..it was just an observation.

There were five games, not counting WVU, that were 250 yds or less and Cinci wad 286. The average for the 12 regular season games was 301. 280 is never a bad day.

All is not lost in week one or even week two, I thought you would have learned that by now.

http://syracusefan.com/threads/looking-at-the-remaining-schedule-does-anyone-see-4-or-5-wins.32912/

Who is saying all is lost, little bit of an overexaggeration there? My point is the schedule is significantly tougher then last year ie (FSU and Clemson) and road games at G Tech, Maryland, and NC State is a bit tougher then at Temple and at a terrible USF team. The offense needs to take a big step forward or this team will struggle to win games because the Defense can only hold up so long before injuries and constantly being on the field finally wears them down.

Wales scores a TD.

GMIII returns a kick.

Gulley runs for TD.

We lose 24- 40.

There's a lot of things I don't like about this game. Having said that, they gave up 450 yards passing last week to a true freshman, and lost one of their starting corners. So I hope we don't unfortunately find out just how truly bad our offense is this week.

Northwestern is one of those intangibles type teams you just hate to play. You can dominate them on the stat line and lose by 3. You can match them on the stat line and lose by 3 TDs.

I expect this to be no more than a 3 point game at the end of the 3rd quarter. No reason we shouldn't stick around that long. At that point, anything is possible, good or bad.

Mark not being healthy enough to return punts, and Jerome Smith not dropping backwards passes and staring down the ball would be a welcome way to save 21 Northwestern points this year.

I think we show great improvement on the offensive side this Saturday.

I think we can win the game.

Who is saying all is lost, little bit of an overexaggeration there? My point is the schedule is significantly tougher then last year ie (FSU and Clemson) and road games at G Tech, Maryland, and NC State is a bit tougher then at Temple and at a terrible USF team. The offense needs to take a big step forward or this team will struggle to win games because the Defense can only hold up so long before injuries and constantly being on the field finally wears them down.

Significantly tougher.

Cinci and Missouri better than any of those teams, Rutgers about the same level.

FSU and Clemson is better than anybody last year without a doubt, but the middle and bottom of the schedule is easier.

It's a win. We had an offense that was getting hit for the first time. The receivers were off key but I think working with Allen after another week will do wonders for our passing game. Go back to Kobena's long ball. Has anybody seen a better long pass thrown? Allen has one heck of an arm.

Bold predictions?

Big Ten Network announcers will get every SU player's name correct and pronounced accurately.

Most likely?

We will see the debut of WR Englebert Slappdyback.

Can't see us winning this game. They put up 42 points on us last year (I know a few of those were thanks to ST/DEF). Do you see us scoring 20?
Another TD was scored when smith didn't go after the backward pass...

Drew Allen will have a massive game with 280+ yards and 3 td's.

We lose the game to a very good opponent and the board goes into meltdown mode on McDonald, Shafer, Allen and Ben Lewis not playing enough in that order.

the crazy thing about that is that last year 280 yards would have been a bad game yardage-wise

True but last year we needed herculean efforts by Nassib to be in, and win a lot of games. 280 yards and 3 td's is big for a team that shouldn't be passing 50 times a game.

Not fair IO, with a post like this you just whored a bunch of likes ... and yes, I liked your post too :)

As the saying goes ... "I've got a feeling about this game and I'm ... " you know the rest :)

Can't see us winning this game. They put up 42 points on us last year (I know a few of those were thanks to ST/DEF). Do you see us scoring 20?

If a frosh QB at Cal can put up over 400 in the air while still throwing 3 pics ... then yes I can.

I predict I will not be drinking Old Style either before, during or after this game but will be swearing up a storm.

Penn game was like a practice after eating big meal. We were sluggish, most plays were hazy, and there was chaos. A couple more completions would have won us the game though. This year it's a new ball game for both us and NW. Anything can happen but I think we can only get better, and that's a good feeling.

All is not lost in week one or even week two, I thought you would have learned that by now.

http://syracusefan.com/threads/looking-at-the-remaining-schedule-does-anyone-see-4-or-5-wins.32912/

Looks like Barrel was the old voice of reason again in that thread!! :) The 2011 season on the other hand was not a good one for me

If we can get average offensive output 24-27 points versus NW and maybe a special or D TD, I think we can win.

I think we will need to score at least 28-31 points to win, again I think we match up better with NW but we also need to figure out how to mix up the run and pass because I don't think our line will be mauling anyone this year, we will need to be should I say MULTIPLE!!! ( Hate that word) No balance, no offense

Last edited:
There were five games, not counting WVU, that were 250 yds or less and Cinci wad 286. The average for the 12 regular season games was 301. 280 is never a bad day.
Actually there were 4 games not including Pinstripe. We had 251 against Uconn..not to nitpick

True but last year we needed herculean efforts by Nassib to be in, and win a lot of games. 280 yards and 3 td's is big for a team that shouldn't be passing 50 times a game.

i do agree with that

It's a win. We had an offense that was getting hit for the first time. The receivers were off key but I think working with Allen after another week will do wonders for our passing game. Go back to Kobena's long ball. Has anybody seen a better long pass thrown? Allen has one heck of an arm.
I've seen hundreds of better long passes. That ball was underthrown and Kobena having to slow up and adjust meant no TD on that play. If it was better thrown it would have been a TD.

***I'm not slating Allen, just responding to the bold part of your statement.

Actually there were 4 games not including Pinstripe. We had 251 against Uconn..not to nitpick

251, really? Five games, one more within 6 yards of 280. In other words 280 is not a bad day.

The offense needs to take a big step forward or this team will struggle to win games because the Defense can only hold up so long before injuries and constantly being on the field finally wears them down.
I agree that the offense needs to be better, but the notion that the defense was on the field "constantly" last week is wrong (Roger Praetorius also alluded, in his article, to the D being on the field way too long). TOP was essentially even (30:45 to 29:15).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom