BOOM! | Syracusefan.com

BOOM!

SWC75

Bored Historian
Deontay Wilder drives me crazy. he can look bad for round after round and then comes the big bomb and, literally with one punch -it's over. In his rematch with the dangerous Luis Ortiz, Wilder went through 6 rounds pawing with his jab, making an occasional effort at a left hook and keeping his right hand cocked and loaded but holding back from it, fearing that the left-handed Ortiz would throw a counter-punch. I had the fight 57-57 through six round. In the 7th round Wilder found the opening he was waiting for and hit Ortiz with a straight right hand, right down the pipe. It landed flush on Luis' face and he fell straight backwards onto his back, with his head against the ropes with a surprised look on his face. he blinked a couple of times, tried to get up but sank back down and the referee counted him out, as classic a one-punch knockout as you will ever see,

Deontay Wilder drives me crazy. he can look bad for round after round and then comes the big bomb and, literally with one punch -it's over. In his rematch with the dangerous Luis Ortiz, Wilder went through 6 rounds pawing with his jab, making an occasional effort at a left hook and keeping his right hand cocked and loaded but holding back from it, fearing that the left-handed Ortiz would throw a counter-punch. I had the fight 57-57 through six round. In the 7th round Wilder found the opening he was waiting for and hit Ortiz with a straight right hand, right down the pipe. It landed flush on Luis' face and he fell straight backwards onto his back, with his head against the ropes with a surprised look on his face. he blinked a couple of times, tried to get up but sank back down and the referee counted him out, as classic a one-punch knockout as you will ever see,

I had Ortiz winning five of the first six rds easily. But thought Wilder was smart by not trying to trade at a higher rate/volume this time (unlike the last fight). Ortiz almost stopped Wilder in their last fight because Wilder stayed in the pocket in the 7th and got countered. I believe Wilder’s game plan (this time) was to avoid contact and just wait for that right hand opening a southpaw presents sometime during a fight. And if you can crack like Wilder, that’s all you need...

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a high-level fighter like Wilder before. Mediocre balance, footwork and boxing skills (can sometimes appear very amateurish) but with an absolute one-punch eraser in his right hand. And the ability to deliver it (throws it from all angles - straight, overhand, half hook/looping, uppercut - with superior anticipatory timing, even when his feet are not completely set).

I once thought Tommy Hearns might be a good comparison (maybe Danny Lopez, Featherweight from late 70’s) but Hearns could control a fight with his jab, use his legs and box very effectively when he wanted to. Wilder really cannot when in the ring with a Grade-A opponent (Fury fight demonstrated that). But then again, he doesn’t seem to need to... At least thus far. At any rate, Wilder has definitely put public interest back on the Heavyweights. He seems willing to fight all comers and delivers the exciting ending...

Ssbriefcase said he was attending the fight in Vegas. Interested to hear his “live” impressions of the event...

I also had it 5 rounds to 1 before Wilder landed The Finisher.

I'm glad you guys are talking about the fight.
Because it's incredible how little traditional media attention boxing gets...even with an exciting heavyweight division and a guy like Wilder.

Last time I looked the story was still not in the NY Post or NY Times online. No mention in local radio or tv sports. Unbelievable... sad.

It is surprising that an athletic guy like Wilder with a great boxer like Mark Breland as his trainer didn't become a better boxer. He may need a little more skill against Fury.

But even Fury's trainer says Wilder may be the greatest pusher ever. And as Wilder said at the post-fight news conference...his opponents need to be prefect for 12 rounds. He just needs to be perfect for two seconds.

Ortiz is probably the third best heavyweight...I'd rate him ahead of Joshua and Ruiz. He can box and punch. Hope he can get another payday against someone other than Deontay.

I also had it 5 rounds to 1 before Wilder landed The Finisher.

I'm glad you guys are talking about the fight.
Because it's incredible how little traditional media attention boxing gets...even with an exciting heavyweight division and a guy like Wilder.

Last time I looked the story was still not in the NY Post or NY Times online. No mention in local radio or tv sports. Unbelievable... sad.

It is surprising that an athletic guy like Wilder with a great boxer like Mark Breland as his trainer didn't become a better boxer. He may need a little more skill against Fury.

But even Fury's trainer says Wilder may be the greatest pusher ever. And as Wilder said at the post-fight news conference...his opponents need to be prefect for 12 rounds. He just needs to be perfect for two seconds.

Ortiz is probably the third best heavyweight...I'd rate him ahead of Joshua and Ruiz. He can box and punch. Hope he can get another payday against someone other than Deontay.

Pusher?

So, that was a great night! There was a ton of energy in the arena walking around the concourse before hand. Seeing all kinds of stars, etc. So the crowd was pretty split on who they were rooting for. A lot of people around us rooting for Ortiz, of course I was Wilder. Didn't seem like a bad seat in there. I thought we had decent seats. As far as the fight, didn't really like what I saw from Wilder, but in the end it didn't matter. That KO was so fast and unexpected because of how the fight was going, there was a split second delay in reaction from the crowd it seemed.

So last night we get an Uber from the strip and start talking about the fight to the driver. He starts saying he's a pro fighter, we're like oh yeah? Turns out it's Prince Alahdin, young lightweight 4-0 or something like that, and signed to Mayweather's camp. I started laughing like yeah I saw you fight before, turns out he was on an undercard with one of Kaleb Plant's fights on FS1. He comes out wearing a pharaoh head piece for his fights. He starts telling us that he's met Wilder and knows Ortiz and got to hang around Ortiz's camp for this fight. He said Ortiz's game plan was since he was beating Wilder in the last fight and got gassed towards the end, he'd keep his exact game plan but improve his conditioning. Said he thought it was a good plan, but said almost the exact same thing as SWC on Wilder, that he's so frustrating because he can lose rounds and lose on scorecards but win on a KO. Also said if you noticed, the KO came from a punch to the forehead, which shocked a lot of boxers because none of them had ever seen anyone get KO'd like that. He said believe it or not, forehead punches dont hurt that bad, so when that happened they were in Awe. He was in floor seats with the other boxers. He said they've been talking in the camps that Wilder has the hardest heavyweight punch in history. One last thing, when we were talking about Fury in the first fight and how he got up after getting rocked, he suspected Fury was on something. I've said the same, that wasn't normal imo.

Highly recommend going to a high profile fight in Vegas. We already started looking at trying to go to the rematch with Fury in February.

So, that was a great night! There was a ton of energy in the arena walking around the concourse before hand. Seeing all kinds of stars, etc. So the crowd was pretty split on who they were rooting for. A lot of people around us rooting for Ortiz, of course I was Wilder. Didn't seem like a bad seat in there. I thought we had decent seats. As far as the fight, didn't really like what I saw from Wilder, but in the end it didn't matter. That KO was so fast and unexpected because of how the fight was going, there was a split second delay in reaction from the crowd it seemed.

So last night we get an Uber from the strip and start talking about the fight to the driver. He starts saying he's a pro fighter, we're like oh yeah? Turns out it's Prince Alahdin, young lightweight 4-0 or something like that, and signed to Mayweather's camp. I started laughing like yeah I saw you fight before, turns out he was on an undercard with one of Kaleb Plant's fights on FS1. He comes out wearing a pharaoh head piece for his fights. He starts telling us that he's met Wilder and knows Ortiz and got to hang around Ortiz's camp for this fight. He said Ortiz's game plan was since he was beating Wilder in the last fight and got gassed towards the end, he'd keep his exact game plan but improve his conditioning. Said he thought it was a good plan, but said almost the exact same thing as SWC on Wilder, that he's so frustrating because he can lose rounds and lose on scorecards but win on a KO. Also said if you noticed, the KO came from a punch to the forehead, which shocked a lot of boxers because none of them had ever seen anyone get KO'd like that. He said believe it or not, forehead punches dont hurt that bad, so when that happened they were in Awe. He was in floor seats with the other boxers. He said they've been talking in the camps that Wilder has the hardest heavyweight punch in history. One last thing, when we were talking about Fury in the first fight and how he got up after getting rocked, he suspected Fury was on something. I've said the same, that wasn't normal imo.

Highly recommend going to a high profile fight in Vegas. We already started looking at trying to go to the rematch with Fury in February.

Fury actually got up from being decked by Wilder twice. I've never seen anyone else do that once.

Here's a question: If you had a great punch like Wilder and you wanted to use it to take out a guy with one shot, what part of the head or body would you most want to hit? The temple? the point of the jaw? The nose? The ear? The solar plexus? The liver? (Of course if you could really hit like Wilder, maybe it doesn't matter.)

Fury actually got up from being decked by Wilder twice. I've never seen anyone else do that once.

Here's a question: If you had a great punch like Wilder and you wanted to use it to take out a guy with one shot, what part of the head or body would you most want to hit? The temple? the point of the jaw? The nose? The ear? The solar plexus? The liver? (Of course if you could really hit like Wilder, maybe it doesn't matter.)

Not addressed to me, but my response - Point of the chin...
Solar Plexus / Liver shot is debilitating (paralyze the legs - can’t get to your feet to beat the count), but doesn’t “knock” one unconscious. The chin (sometimes the temple and rabbit punch behind the ear) does.

Like you said, with Wilder, doesn’t seem to matter...

Temple, then point of chin. Temple is your point of balance, so that's what I'd take if given a choice. I've become a big fan of a KO from liver shots. What there's been about 3 of those this year I've seen?

Not addressed to me, but my response - Point of the chin...
Solar Plexus / Liver shot is debilitating (paralyze the legs - can’t get to your feet to beat the count), but doesn’t “knock” one unconscious. The chin (sometimes the temple and rabbit punch behind the ear) does.

Like you said, with Wilder, doesn’t seem to matter...

So this guy should definitely not become a boxer:

1574792481485.png

I'm not surprised by very much...let alone shocked.
But I was shocked when Fury got up from the 12th round knockdown.
He got hit with that sledgehammer right and then a left hook on his way down.
Not only did he get up but he proceeded to win the rest of the round.
One of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a high-level fighter like Wilder before. Mediocre balance, footwork and boxing skills (can sometimes appear very amateurish) but with an absolute one-punch eraser in his right hand.
40+ george foreman in his 2nd comeback?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom