Boston College --last 10 years | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Boston College --last 10 years

Oy vey.

I grew up in Mass., my best friend's father was the VP of Student Affairs at BC for years, and I spent a ton of time on the BC campus as a kid. I know a lot of BC alums and work with many more.

They're fine.

Do we want to stereotype SU alums next? Because, believe me, it's worse than what you just flung out there about BC.

And please keep missing the point that the original post was making. It's fun to watch. "WE should accept nothing less than this performance". Keep reading that over and over.

Pssh, you're going to try to stereotype SU students as Jersey Shore tools and JAPs I'll bet, and from my experience at SU they're...

...wait, that's exactly what half the student population is like.

Oy vey.

I grew up in Mass., my best friend's father was the VP of Student Affairs at BC for years, and I spent a ton of time on the BC campus as a kid. I know a lot of BC alums and work with many more.

They're fine.

Do we want to stereotype SU alums next? Because, believe me, it's worse than what you just flung out there about BC.

And please keep missing the point that the original post was making. It's fun to watch. "WE should accept nothing less than this performance". Keep reading that over and over.

You are welcome to think BC and it's alumni base are fantastic. I think they generally are unimpressive, arrogant, and wish they'd gone to Notre Dame. That opinion was shared by the vast majority of my coworkers who did not go to BC. and yes that's stereotyping and generalizing that's the only way you can talk about a large group of people, point to some common characteristics. It's like saying most people under the age of 35 who live in Williamsburg are annoying trust fund hipsters from the midwest. Sure there are some who don't fit that profile, probably a lot. There may be some trust fund hipsters who come from the west coast, I'm not sure. But generally that's the status quo. You might think my definition of hipster is too broad or too derogatory or whatever else and you might define that group of people differently - but they definitely share as a group some common characteristics not the least of which is dudes who buy jeans so skinny it takes them longer to get dressed than it does their girlfriends.

I also think the football environment is weak in most every way and that BC is generally not respected despite some recent success. I think the ceiling for Syracuse's football reputation and output on the field is higher than for BC and I think the experience of going to a game can and should be much better at SU than at BC. You may feel differently.

I understood the original post quite clearly - the recent on the field results at BC have been great, they are a peer in that they are a northeastern private school, and so we should emulate them or strive to be as good as them. Given my opinions on BC's culture and how it's football program is viewed, I disagree - I think we can and should be better than BC in Football in a bunch of different ways.

You are welcome to think BC and it's alumni base are fantastic. I think they generally are unimpressive, arrogant, and wish they'd gone to Notre Dame. That opinion was shared by the vast majority of my coworkers who did not go to BC. and yes that's stereotyping and generalizing that's the only way you can talk about a large group of people, point to some common characteristics. It's like saying most people under the age of 35 who live in Williamsburg are annoying trust fund hipsters from the midwest. Sure there are some who don't fit that profile, probably a lot. There may be some trust fund hipsters who come from the west coast, I'm not sure. But generally that's the status quo. You might think my definition of hipster is too broad or too derogatory or whatever else and you might define that group of people differently - but they definitely share as a group some common characteristics not the least of which is dudes who buy jeans so skinny it takes them longer to get dressed than it does their girlfriends.

I also think the football environment is weak in most every way and that BC is generally not respected despite some recent success. I think the ceiling for Syracuse's football reputation and output on the field is higher than for BC and I think the experience of going to a game can and should be much better at SU than at BC. You may feel differently.

I understood the original post quite clearly - the recent on the field results at BC have been great, they are a peer in that they are a northeastern private school, and so we should emulate them or strive to be as good as them. Given my opinions on BC's culture and how it's football program is viewed, I disagree - I think we can and should be better than BC in Football in a bunch of different ways.
NOBODY IS ARGUING WITH YOU ABOUT THE CEILING FAN SUPPORT WISE. Right now we are performing even close to our potential and BC is a great team to shoot for football-wise and we know if we played on that level they were, we would draw larger crowds. The whole stereotyping thing is unnecessary and there are stereotypes, some true, some not, about every school.

"WE should accept nothing less than this performance"

Emphasis mine.

NOBODY IS ARGUING WITH YOU ABOUT THE CEILING FAN SUPPORT WISE. Right now we are performing even close to our potential and BC is a great team to shoot for football-wise and we know if we played on that level they were, we would draw larger crowds. The whole stereotyping thing is unnecessary and there are stereotypes, some true, some not, about every school.
"WE should accept nothing less than this performance"

Emphasis mine.

The part I object to is calling them a peer and then sort of accepting the crappy facilities and weak recruiting as a given. I agree that for us to rebound to BC level when it comes to winning and losing in the recent past, would be a good start. But I just don't like comparing our football program to theirs when it's put out there as something to strive for - because BC is anything but impressive in multiple ways. but there is a bunch of discussion on here, pops up now and then, about how great BC is doing and how Adazzio is the man etc. It makes me nauseous.

The part I object to is calling them a peer and then sort of accepting the crappy facilities and weak recruiting as a given. I agree that for us to rebound to BC level when it comes to winning and losing in the recent past, would be a good start. But I just don't like comparing our football program to theirs when it's put out there as something to strive for - because BC is anything but impressive in multiple ways. but there is a bunch of discussion on here, pops up now and then, about how great BC is doing and how Adazzio is the man etc. It makes me nauseous.

Wonderful.

So Alabama then? Or should we start with Oregon and work our way up?

;)

Wonderful.

So Alabama then? Or should we start with Oregon and work our way up?

;)

I don't know. Syracuse is sort of it's own thing, I'm not sure there is an obvious peer when it comes to football. We're private but have some characteristics of sort of public school given the potentially large local fan base. I'd say Miami but obviously the talent pool is just so much greater there and their crowds suck - they are more of a national brand . We can and should be better than Pitt. TCU and Vandy have some overlap with us. I don't see an obvious match. But the BC comparison just annoys the heck out of me.

I don't know. Syracuse is sort of it's own thing, I'm not sure there is an obvious peer when it comes to football. We're private but have some characteristics of sort of public school given the potentially large local fan base. I'd say Miami but obviously the talent pool is just so much greater there and their crowds suck - they are more of a national brand . We can and should be better than Pitt. TCU and Vandy have some overlap with us. I don't see an obvious match. But the BC comparison just annoys the heck out of me.
Seems like you don't like the comparison because you don't like the people there.

Seems like you don't like the comparison because you don't like the people there.

Kind of right. I think our football culture and alumni base is superior. College football is more than straight win and loss record...it's about identity. I don't identify with the BC football program or alumni base so while their recent win/loss ratio is something to strive for and eventually exceed, the comparison falls flat for me.

just so im clear...

tcu and vandy = peers

bc is not.

43046699.jpg

Kind of right. I think our football culture and alumni base is superior. College football is more than straight win and loss record...it's about identity. I don't identify with the BC football program or alumni base so while their recent win/loss ratio is something to strive for and eventually exceed, the comparison falls flat for me.
I get what you're saying there. I think the comparison was they have a similar amount of resources and put up X number of wins so we should too be able to put up X number of wins every year. Same region, both private schools, with similar amount of investment in the football program, we should be at or above their level at all times.

Feel free to hate them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom