Both Ohio State and Georgia would be favored over | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Both Ohio State and Georgia would be favored over

Florida beat LSU (the team that blew out Georgia), beat a very solid Mississippi State team, and beat a handful of other SEC bowl teams.
Purdue beat Ohio State 49-20 and Los at Minnesota 41-10.
Florida is the most overrated team in the nation and it’s not even close.

LSU has a garbage offense. They beat Georgia in their outlier game. Florida beat LSU in their outlier game.
If they were playing an engaged team in Michigan I would expect Florida to be destroyed. Michigan will likely sleep into the matchup disappointed and just get bye.

The SEC is overrated as a whole.
Alabama and Georgia are top 5 teams.
LSU, Florida, Kentucky, Mississippi State all have athletic rosters that don’t have good passing QBs and this rely on the running game. They are solid squads but they aren’t anywhere as highly rated as they all are.

Texas A&M is the program headed in the right direction as Monk is a good QB coming back and Jimbo can build a roster.
Missouri was underrrated which is almost impossible as an SEC team. They have an NFL QB. Missouri is like the 2012 Syracuse of the SEC.

Losing a game means something, you can go through all the what ifs that you want, Notre Dame went undefeated and 9 of the 12 teams they beat are going to a bowl game, they arguable have the best resume, clemsons best win is syracuse by 3 at home, notre beat syracuse by 33 in NYC. By no means does notre dame have some easy schedule, they travel all over the country, they had 1 "cupcake" game most teams have 3, some have 4. OSU has 1 good win against MICH who ND also beat, ND beat SU, Stanford and VT were still both ranked and considered good when ND beat them, Stanford was 8th. OSU lost by 29 to 6-6 purdue, LSU beat georgia by 20 and georgia has not beaten anyone, if the games were decided by what people thought they wouldn't play the games and most of the time people are guessing or wrong. Its time to give ND the respect they deserve, they beat a lot of very good teams while not losing and very clearly deserve to be in the playoff. Remember if these ESPN people were as smart as they think they are they wouldn't be making low 6 figures on ESPN they'd still be playing or coaching making millions

I agree with your overall point for sure - the lack of respect ND gets is amazing. I think the Clemson line is a joke. But I wouldn't say UGA beat nobody. Comfortable road wins over Mizzou and UK and a solid neutral site win over FLA ain't bad either. Also crushed one of the better ACC teams as well.

Last edited:

LSU has a garbage offense. They beat Georgia in their outlier game. Florida beat LSU in their outlier game.
If they were playing an engaged team in Michigan I would expect Florida to be destroyed. Michigan will likely sleep into the matchup disappointed and just get bye.

LSU, Florida, Kentucky, Mississippi State all have athletic rosters that don’t have good passing QBs and this rely on the running game. They are solid squads but they aren’t anywhere as highly rated as they all are.

Texas A&M is the program headed in the right direction as Monk is a good QB coming back and Jimbo can build a roster.
Missouri was underrrated which is almost impossible as an SEC team. They have an NFL QB. Missouri is like the 2012 Syracuse of the SEC.

That's the one good aspect of the bowl games. We'll find out who's overrated and who isn't. But the sleepwalking excuse for Michigan is not going to fly. That says your team and your head coach just isn't that good if they don't come to play.

Since you feel the SEC is overrated can you tell me which conference is better?

SEC was dominant in non-conference P5 match ups this season. I think they went 12-4 with all respectable losses being Vandy by 5 @ UND, A&M by 2 to Clemson, South Carolina @ Clemson, Tenn to WVU on neutral field. Might be missing one or two others but overall they showed very well.

Recent years SEC was pretty top heavy but this year it was a really good conference. Which conference do you think was better this year?

That's the one good aspect of the bowl games. We'll find out who's overrated and who isn't. But the sleepwalking excuse for Michigan is not going to fly. That says your team and your head coach just isn't that good if they don't come to play.

Since you feel the SEC is overrated can you tell me which conference is better?
I think Washington State is underrated.
I think Georgia and Alabama make the SEC the best conference.
I have watched LSU, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi State play they don’t have good passing games. They all take turns Cannibalizing the weaker SEC teams like Arkansas/Ole Miss/Tennessee/Vanderbilt then splitting with each other.
They aren’t garbage they are just overrated.

I don’t really see the evidence for UGa playing a weak schedule besides “I hate the SEC.”

And that’s fine, but just say that! I don’t like the SEC either.

Out of curiosity, What were the top P5 wins for the P5 conferences? Bama played 2-10 Louisville and that is theirs. Clemson beat A&M @ A&M and USCe. Let me also ask, how many had road wins? Or is that just something they harp on in basketball and since the big boys won't travel they ignore this part of the equation because it doesn't suit their agenda?

I think Washington State is underrated.
I think Georgia and Alabama make the SEC the best conference.
I have watched LSU, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi State play they don’t have good passing games. They all take turns Cannibalizing the weaker SEC teams like Arkansas/Ole Miss/Tennessee/Vanderbilt then splitting with each other.
They aren’t garbage they are just overrated.

Miss State is a very good team. If FLA had a QB they'd be right up there too but in any event they're heading up with Dan Mullins who recruited the studs that are at Miss State. UK also lacks a QB but they have a solid defense. So much more depth in the SEC. It's all relative and imo the other conferences just aren't that close.

Other than ND, I agree with you. ND immensely struggled with Ball State at South Bend early in the season, Ball frigging State. They had to pull off a last few minute score to beat Pitt, at ND, and was a one possession score late in the 4Q against NW. But hey, that's why the call them opinions. ;):)

Notre Dame is really an interesting case. They’re ranked 7th in Sagarin - but 3rd in his rankings that weight recent games more heavily. Part of what’s interesting is that (unshockingly) the weighting of the same data can have a huge impact on the resulting output.

I’ll stick with my opinion that a four team playoff is stupid and way too subjective..but that Alabama is going to render that moot this year as they win their next two games by double digits.

Uga is talented as anyone but they don't deserve to be there. Don't lose by 20 to lsu. Don't miss a chip shot fg and fake a punt on 4th and 11 and blow a 2 td lead.

I agree with your overall point for sure - the lack of respect ND gets is amazing. I think the Clemson line is a joke. But I wouldn't say UGA beat nobody. Comfortable road wins over Mizzou and UK and a solid neutral site win over FLA ain't bad either. Also crushed one of the better ACC teams as well.
Your right, Georgia has some decent wins but i think SU beats Missouri Kentucky and florida all three are super overrated, the south eastern bias is definitely real whether that is the SEC or ACC, in reality if the SEC was so much better than everyone else they would be 10-2 in their bowl games not 5-6.

It's a concept some here are unwilling to acknowledge but this year the SEC is just much better than the other power conferences so comparisons are not so simple.

How do we know that? SEC teams beat each other and go flying up the polls. The team that loses rarely drops. The SEC routinely plays weak OOC schedules. This somehow is never brought up. I think the SEC is the best conference but what have they done to prove they are “much better”? What had Florida and UK done to be ranked so high?

SEC was dominant in non-conference P5 match ups this season. I think they went 12-4 with all respectable losses being Vandy by 5 @ UND, A&M by 2 to Clemson, South Carolina @ Clemson, Tenn to WVU on neutral field. Might be missing one or two others but overall they showed very well.

Recent years SEC was pretty top heavy but this year it was a really good conference. Which conference do you think was better this year?
Who did the SEC beat?
Kansas State, Texas Tech, Miami, Louisvillex2, Washington, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Purdue. Who did I miss?
Washington was a good win but the rest are meh.

I don’t really see the evidence for UGa playing a weak schedule besides “I hate the SEC.”

And that’s fine, but just say that! I don’t like the SEC either.
They played a good not great schedule.
They played 3 tomato cans and Georgia Tech in the nonconference.
They play in the weaker SEC East and this year anyway Kentucky and Florida are not much different than Syracuse and NC State.
How are South Carolina and Missouri mulch different from Boston College and Wake Forest.
How are Tennessee and Vanderbilt much different than Florida State and Louisville.

Now Georgia did play at LSU which is a hard venue to win at. Auburn can be hard but this year they were overrated and really not that great.

Georgia’s talent was clearly top 4 worthy and if it was 4 best teams should have been in but this year the committee went with most deserving.

Oklahoma and Notre Dame. In my opinion, the committee failed in putting their money where there mouth is, as they had stated it was the principal objective placing the 4 best teams in the playoff. Maybe I'm just too dunce, but I've spent my entire life with the understanding that the team favored to win, is generally because it's the better team, especially when all things are considered equal, i.e. neutral field.

So, for all those that feel it's a "joke" Dino didn't get ACC coach of the year (which imo he clearly should've received) and that the voting committee lacked consistency, etc., I guess the same premise can be argued relative to this "selected" 4.

The 8 team (or larger) playoff can't get here soon enough.

I think 8 teams would be perfect. Thr committee had an impossible job this year but UGA had their shot and the bed like they did last year. Smart is turning out to be a monumentally bad game manager and gets schooled in bog moments. UGA had their shot and blew a big lead and got licked at LSU by 20.

OSU is the 2nd best team. Its simple eye test and you dont see scores like that vs UM. These are 18-22 yo kids, OSU had a bad night. It happens. Clemson did vs us last year and still got in.

I think ND beats Clemson.

I am with you. I jumped on the +12 last night. That spread will be under 7 by kick. Uou can make an argument Clemson is the weakest and most unproven of the 4. ND has the size, speed, and athletes to beat anyone and book is a player. He was really impressive against us.

The SEC routinely plays weak OOC schedules. This somehow is never brought up.

Do you have any data to support that argument? That feels like a cliche to me.

Opening weekend every single year the SEC plays all kinds of marquee games in Atlanta, Dallas, etc.

They play in the weaker SEC East and this year anyway Kentucky and Florida are not much different than Syracuse and NC State.
How are South Carolina and Missouri mulch different from Boston College and Wake Forest.
How are Tennessee and Vanderbilt much different than Florida State and Louisville.

Now Georgia did play at LSU which is a hard venue to win at. Auburn can be hard but this year they were overrated and really not that great.

Georgia’s talent was clearly top 4 worthy and if it was 4 best teams should have been in but this year the committee went with most deserving.

lol I didn’t read any of this because I know it’s wrong.

So how do you determine four best teams? Ohio State outside of the Michigan game looked like crap all year. Georgia beat no one and played a 1aa team. Should you punish a team for that? Oh and both got blown out in their losers.

This... they have looked very pedestrian at times and are a bit lucky to have the record they do TBH.

I have no idea how anyone can claim they are a favorite to beat ND...

IMO the SECE is overrated but the SECW is legit. The East teams benefit from the West eventhough they barely play those teams. The SECE and ACCA weren’t much different this year. Well besides UL quitting.

Alabama plays a marquee team to open the season every single year (e.g. Wisconsin, Michigan, Va Tech), and usually blows their doors off. Obviously nobody expected Louisville to be this bad this year.

Florida plays FSU every single season who is usually a Top 10 team, and they played Michigan to open the year last year.

Auburn beat Washington to open this season. And they played a home-and-home against Clemson the prior two seasons.

LSU played Miami to open the season this year, and played Wisconsin at Lambeau before that. They have also played recent home-and-homes with WVU and Oregon.

A&M is playing a home-and-home with Clemson.

Georgia plays Ga Tech every year who is almost always a bowl team. They played at Notre Dame last year. They have played opening games against ranked UNC and Boise over the past few years.

The idea that the SEC plays a weak non-conference schedule is probably college football's most crazy cliche.

The Clemson-Notre Dame line is high IMO.
I don’t think Clemson will blow them out but will win a one possession score game.
-11 is high. While I think the Clemson D will shut down the ND running game. The Clemson secondary isn’t as good as it has been in the past. Book can pass. Clemson 31 ND 28

Alabama outscores Oklahoma.
Bama 56 Oklahoma 38
Overall, I like Clemson's speed. I also like the notion that they don't consider themselves omnipotent... or chosen. Not going to book a score, because I stink at it, but I'll have the spit bucket in Swinney's corner.

Alabama plays a marquee team to open the season every single year (e.g. Wisconsin, Michigan, Va Tech), and usually blows their doors off. Obviously nobody expected Louisville to be this bad this year.

Florida plays FSU every single season who is usually a Top 10 team, and they played Michigan to open the year last year.

Auburn beat Washington to open this season. And they played a home-and-home against Clemson the prior two seasons.

LSU played Miami to open the season this year, and played Wisconsin at Lambeau before that. They have also played recent home-and-homes with WVU and Oregon.

Georgia plays Ga Tech every year who is almost always a bowl team. They played at Notre Dame last year. They have played opening games against ranked UNC and Boise over the past few years.

The idea that the SEC plays a weak non-conference schedule is probably college football's most crazy cliche.
The ACC had dominated Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky the last 5 years and got no credit for it.
Georgia has dominated Georgia Tech though.
The SEC teams don’t challenge themselves in the nonconference.
Florida last year played its first nonconference game outside of the state of Florida since 1992 against Syracuse when they played Michigan in the season opener.

Georgia atleast has mixed in home/homes with Colorado/Arizona State and Notre Dame last year.
The SEC East has been not that great recently until Kirby Smart got too Georgia 3 years ago.

Top teams in the B12, B1G, P12 play 9 conference games, 1-2 P5 games, and 0.0 FCS teams. The SEC teams play 8 conference games, 1 P5, and 1FCS. You really don’t see a difference?