Both Ohio State and Georgia would be favored over | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Both Ohio State and Georgia would be favored over

Top teams in the B12, B1G, P12 play 9 conference games, 1-2 P5 games, and 0.0 FCS teams. The SEC teams play 8 conference games, 1 P5, and 1FCS. You really don’t see a difference?
SEC teams have gamed system.
They play 3 tomato cans and 1 P5 game. The SEC East was good when it was Urban Meyer, Steve Spurrier, Mark Richt all good but since Urban left and Stephen Garcia left South Carolina the East was down till Smart took over Georgia.
However during that time the SEC never got hit perception wise because Alabama has been a beast and then LSU/Texas A&M/Auburn/Arkansas/Ole Miss/Mississippi State all taking turns being top 10 squads each year.
The West has been good the last decade and been keeping the brand high but the East teams don’t get dinged for their mediocrity.
The SEC is the best conference because It’s got 2 Superpower now.

The #1 criteria the committee uses is Conference Championship. Notre Dame didn't win one simply because they are greedy. Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State and Washington put it on the line and competed and satisfied that criteria. That is supposed to be the #1 determining factor "UNLESS a team is clearly better than the other teams." That would put Notre Dame ahead of Washington but not any of the other 4. Better maybe? Clearly better? Nope.

listening to Vsin and the guy at Ceasers who sets their lines, he thinks the ND line is too low and will go up..

i think OK and ND have a great shot because they both play a style on offense that the other teams struggle with.. NDs strength is the DBs and they have 4 weeks to prep for the FR QB.

Ok can throw on Ala and ala doesnt throw like the B12 teams do, they do it from other formations which will be easier for Ok to handle because they suck but they still have athletes.

Your right, Georgia has some decent wins but i think SU beats Missouri Kentucky and florida all three are super overrated, the south eastern bias is definitely real whether that is the SEC or ACC, in reality if the SEC was so much better than everyone else they would be 10-2 in their bowl games not 5-6.

I'm talking 2018 so let's see how they do this bowl season.

listening to Vsin and the guy at Ceasers who sets their lines, he thinks the ND line is too low and will go up..

i think OK and ND have a great shot because they both play a style on offense that the other teams struggle with.. NDs strength is the DBs and they have 4 weeks to prep for the FR QB.

Ok can throw on Ala and ala doesnt throw like the B12 teams do, they do it from other formations which will be easier for Ok to handle because they suck but they still have athletes.

I heard that too but I don't think the line will go any higher. It's absurd already.

How do we know that? SEC teams beat each other and go flying up the polls. The team that loses rarely drops. The SEC routinely plays weak OOC schedules. This somehow is never brought up. I think the SEC is the best conference but what have they done to prove they are “much better”? What had Florida and UK done to be ranked so high?

Which two teams had the most success moving the ball against Clemson and who gave them their toughest game? I admit it's very subjective but when I watch a typical SEC game and then watch the other power conferences play I see more talent and more depth of talent in terms of solid teams. jmo

Which two teams had the most success moving the ball against Clemson and who gave them their toughest game? I admit it's very subjective but when I watch a typical SEC game and then watch the other power conferences play I see more talent and more depth of talent in terms of solid teams. jmo

I think Hurt would cause more problems for the Tigers than Tua due to his mobility.

Who did the SEC beat?
Kansas State, Texas Tech, Miami, Louisvillex2, Washington, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Purdue. Who did I miss?
Washington was a good win but the rest are meh.

Agree that list isn't murderers row but they beat the teams they had scheduled. I think if you were to line up the power rankings for each conference and go line by line the SEC would have the best team at each slot far more often than not.

For example, you said in another post what's the difference between BC or Wake from Missouri. Missouri would blow the doors off of both those teams. I mean just compare the losses and wins. Transitive property rarely works but BC got blown out by Purdue, Missouri beat Purdue. BC lost to Florida St., the next week FSU loses 41-14 to Florida which is a team Missouri beat.

Or like you compare UF and LSU to NC State, who did NC State beat this year that tells us that they are a good team? UF and LSU together have 5-7 wins better than NC State's best win.

Last edited:
Alabama plays a marquee team to open the season every single year (e.g. Wisconsin, Michigan, Va Tech), and usually blows their doors off. Obviously nobody expected Louisville to be this bad this year.

Florida plays FSU every single season who is usually a Top 10 team, and they played Michigan to open the year last year.

Auburn beat Washington to open this season. And they played a home-and-home against Clemson the prior two seasons.

LSU played Miami to open the season this year, and played Wisconsin at Lambeau before that. They have also played recent home-and-homes with WVU and Oregon.

A&M is playing a home-and-home with Clemson.

Georgia plays Ga Tech every year who is almost always a bowl team. They played at Notre Dame last year. They have played opening games against ranked UNC and Boise over the past few years.

The idea that the SEC plays a weak non-conference schedule is probably college football's most crazy cliche.

Some pretty fun home and homes being set up, albeit not for a few years. Bama is working on home and homes with Texas and ND. Georgia with a home and home against Texas and Clemson.

Agree that list isn't murderers row but they beat the teams they had scheduled. I think if you were to line up the power rankings for each conference and go line by line the SEC would have the best team at each slot far more often than not.

For example, you said in another post what's the difference between BC or Wake from Missouri. Missouri would blow the doors off of both those teams. I mean just compare the losses and wins. Transitive property rarely works but BC got blown out by Purdue, Missouri beat Purdue. BC lost to Florida St., the next week FSU loses 41-14 to Florida which is a team Missouri beat.

Or like you compare UF and LSU to NC State, who did NC State beat this year that tells us that they are a good team? UF and LSU together have 5-7 wins better than NC State's best win.

Excellent points. They beat who they had to beat. Another way to look at it is who did the SEC lose to? Yeah Mizzou would crush either one of those teams. They'd be double digit faves over either one.

Excellent points. They beat who they had to beat. Another way to look at it is who did the SEC lose to? Yeah Mizzou would crush either one of those teams. They'd be double digit faves over either one.

Exactly, the SEC is really strong this year. ACC looked awful in non-conference match ups then they all started beating eachother so people view teams more favorably. Opposite happened for SEC where they won non-conference except people think if they lose to eachother it means they aren't good teams.

That doesn't mean the ACC isn't a good football conference. It just means this year the ACC had a down year and the SEC was much stronger.

Exactly, the SEC is really strong this year. ACC looked awful in non-conference match ups then they all started beating eachother so people view teams more favorably. Opposite happened for SEC where they won non-conference except people think if they lose to eachother it means they aren't good teams.

That doesn't mean the ACC isn't a good football conference. It just means this year the ACC had a down year and the SEC was much stronger.
Or it could mean that the SEC did not play any quality non-conference games this year as previously documented.

Or it could mean that the SEC did not play any quality non-conference games this year as previously documented.

Maybe, but again, which conference has a case that it is better this year? Nobody really seems to be able to answer that.

Maybe, but again, which conference has a case that it is better this year? Nobody really seems to be able to answer that.

Every conference has a bunch of mediocre teams this year, the SEC included. No one is claiming the SEC is not the best. But SEC fan boys are arguing the SEC is much better which simply is not true. Bama is great. UGA is very good. Rest of the SEC is varying levels of mediocre.

Every conference has a bunch of mediocre teams this year, the SEC included. No one is claiming the SEC is not the best. But SEC fan boys are arguing the SEC is much better which simply is not true. Bama is great. UGA is very good. Rest of the SEC is varying levels of mediocre.

SEC fanboys lol.

If teams like MSU, TA&M, UK, FLA, LSU are mediocre then how would u classify NCS, UNC, Wake, Duke etc.? You could rank the top 12 ACC teams in order and I could do the same with the SEC (1 v 1 etc.) and the SEC would be favored in all 12 games. Doesn't mean they would win all 12 obviously but they're much better from top to bottom. Would be same thing for the B1G and B12 versus the SEC.

Are some of the SEC teams overrated in the CFP Poll? For sure. I'd say that three of them (LSU, FLA and UK) are each 3-5 spots higher than they should be but that doesn't change the fact it's a far superior league to the other power conferences.

SEC fanboys lol.

If teams like MSU, TA&M, UK, FLA, LSU are mediocre then how would u classify NCS, UNC, Wake, Duke etc.? You could rank the top 12 ACC teams in order and I could do the same with the SEC (1 v 1 etc.) and the SEC would be favored in all 12 games. Doesn't mean they would win all 12 obviously but they're much better from top to bottom. Would be same thing for the B1G and B12 versus the SEC.

Are some of the SEC teams overrated in the CFP Poll? For sure. I'd say that three of them (LSU, FLA and UK) are each 3-5 spots higher than they should be but that doesn't change the fact it's a far superior league to the other power conferences.

You pretty much just agreed with me there. Strange logic. If you drop those three school 4 spots each like you say, then..,

SEC has 4 of 14 teams in the Top 15
B12 has 3 of 10 teams in the Top 13
P12 3 of 12 teams in the Top 16
B1G 3 of 14 teams in the Top 10

So how exactly is that far superior?

You pretty much just agreed with me there. Strange logic. If you drop those three school 4 spots each like you say, then..,

Nah i think the question to be answered is how are those teams mediocre that u referenced above?

The P12? lol

The depth of the SEC is far superior. For the others it falls off a table after the top three. SEC is stronger at the top, in the middle and at the bottom. Other than that they're pretty close.

The depth of the SEC is far superior. For the others it falls off a table after the top three. SEC is stronger at the top, in the middle and at the bottom. Other than that they're pretty close.

That is false. Every conference this year has a very meaty middle. There are maybe a half dozen teams that are playoff worthy. Everyone else is basically the same. Do you really think SEC 3-13 is all that different than ACC 2-12? The SEC has two really good teams while the ACC only has one. The ACC has two really bad teams while the SEC only has one. The middle? Various degrees of mediocrity with the SEC being a little higher end. That all makes the SEC better. You can do the same with the rest of the P5.

As a side note I think Missouri is underrated. How are they 23rd and Florida’s 10th? They won at Purdue and beat Memphis. They lost to Bama, UGA, UK, SC and beat Florida.

Georgia Tech, Miami, Clemson, Washington, Notre Dame, Purdue, Memphis to name a few off the top of my head.

Last edited:
That is false. Every conference this year has a very meaty middle. There are maybe a half dozen teams that are playoff worthy. Everyone else is basically the same. Do you really think SEC 3-13 is all that different than ACC 2-12? The SEC has two really good teams while the ACC only has one. The ACC has two really bad teams while the SEC only has one. The middle? Various degrees of mediocrity with the SEC being a little higher end. That all makes the SEC better. You can do the same with the rest of the P5.

As a side note I think Missouri is underrated. How are they 23rd and Florida’s 10th? They won at Purdue and beat Memphis. They lost to Bama, UGA, UK, SC and beat Florida.

I agree with you on Mizzou plus they throttled FLA when they played.

I don't agree with you on the comparison of the ACC and SEC.

Match up your top 12 ACC teams against these teams and tell me where you'd be favored in any of the twelve games:

1. Bama 2. UGA 3. LSU 4. Miss State 5. Missouri 6. Texas A&M 7. Florida 8. Kentucky 9. Auburn 10. South Carolina 11. Vandy 12. Tennessee

SEC plays in 10 bowl games this year. they're favored in eight and many of them by a TD or more.

Oklahoma and Notre Dame. In my opinion, the committee failed in putting their money where there mouth is, as they had stated it was the principal objective placing the 4 best teams in the playoff. Maybe I'm just too dunce, but I've spent my entire life with the understanding that the team favored to win, is generally because it's the better team, especially when all things are considered equal, i.e. neutral field.

So, for all those that feel it's a "joke" Dino didn't get ACC coach of the year (which imo he clearly should've received) and that the voting committee lacked consistency, etc., I guess the same premise can be argued relative to this "selected" 4.

The 8 team (or larger) playoff can't get here soon enough.

Well, if the so called "best teams" don't produce on the field (UGA-2 losses/1 ugly & OSU (25 pt loss), then they don't belong in the playoff. It's that simple. Committee got it right.

Undefeated Notre Dame gets into the playoffs every single time.

I mean come on.

As they should THIS year. It's very unusual that Stanford, USC, and FSU all have a down year. The fact is that one blemish would have eliminated ND from contention. Don't be surprised to see OU & ND in the NC game.

Well, if the so called "best teams" don't produce on the field (UGA-2 losses/1 ugly & OSU (25 pt loss), then they don't belong in the playoff. It's that simple. Committee got it right.