Bourama Sidibe | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Bourama Sidibe

Wonder if that says O and Marek are going to play a lot at forward?
Well, we will rotate three guys at forward but yeah, maybe. Moyer will do whatever is asked of him so I'm not surprised they are trying him out in the middle.

Wonder if that says O and Marek are going to play a lot at forward?
Not sure if playing Moyer at the 2 or 5 says much. I think it's just practice, getting familiar with the roles and zone coverages.

Not sure if playing Moyer at the 2 or 5 says much. I think it's just practice, getting familiar with the roles and zone coverages.

I disagree. Moyer was with the guards group last year so he could develop his handle. This year, he's doing some work in the middle of the zone because JB might play him there some. He wouldn't put him there if he didn't think he might have to utilize him in that role.

I disagree. Moyer was with the guards group last year so he could develop his handle. This year, he's doing some work in the middle of the zone because JB might play him there some. He wouldn't put him there if he didn't think he might have to utilize him in that role.
ok. So it was practice last year (at the 2) and this year you think he could actually see time at the 5. I'm sure you're right. I have no idea what the staff's intentions are. I just hope we don't see him at the 5 much. Last couple years (of playing a F at center) were enough for my taste.

Honestly, the vibe I get with Moyer is that he will be a Swiss Army knife type guy for us for 4 years, then go to med school. You know, the kind of player on other teams where you say how freakin' long has he been there?!

ok. So it was practice last year (at the 2) and this year you think he could actually see time at the 5. I'm sure you're right. I have no idea what the staff's intentions are. I just hope we don't see him at the 5 much. Last couple years were enough.

Just to keep things in perspective, Moyer was tabbed as the emergency, deep reserve 2 due to depth limitations. Despite what Moyer himself described early last preseason, he was probably not going to see much [if any] time there, barring the unforeseen. He's similar to Blackwell in terms of handle / passing, but not quite as clean of a ball handler as Ryan was [no surprise there, Blackwell could really handle the ball]. His shooting form has improved dramatically, but it remains to be seen if he'll hit perimeter shots consistently. He's have to really show an expanded game to garner much time on the wing.

Versatile 4 who might have to chip in at 5 out of necessity, with an outside chance to develop into a 3 down the road.

ok. So it was practice last year (at the 2) and this year you think he could actually see time at the 5. I'm sure you're right. I have no idea what the staff's intentions are. I just hope we don't see him at the 5 much. Last couple years (of playing a at center) were enough for my taste.

It was only practice last year because he was redshirting and we were short-handed. This year, I think he's seeing some time at the 5 defensively out of need. I too don't want him inside at all but if PC doesn't help us there, what choice does JB have?

Last edited:
I could see him playing some at the 5 in certain situations. If SU is having problems scoring and really needs some points out of the post.

Or if we are playing a big, strong, not so tall center who is just too much for PC and BS to handle down low.

I could see him playing some at the 5 in certain situations. If SU is having problems scoring and really needs some points out of the post.

Or if we are playing a big, strong, not so tall center who is just too much for PC and BS to handle down low.

Problem is Moyer isn't exactly stoutly built himself.

Been years where Villanova successfully deployed 2 forwards and 3 guards.

Been years where Villanova successfully deployed 2 forwards and 3 guards.

True. Gotta have enough ballhandlers and shooters and a real tough/lunch pail guy inside. They seem to always have enough of those ballhandlers especially.

True. Gotta have enough ballhandlers and shooters and a real tough/lunch pail guy inside. They seem to always have enough of those ballhandlers especially.
Matt is going to be our strongest and toughest guy in the paint. It might not be ideal for his skill set but it is going to be something JB is going to need him to do.

He was up to 225 in April. I hope he is up above 230 now. That extra muscle is going to be needed.

Matthew Moyer transforms body, shooting stroke in Syracuse basketball redshirt year

Matt is going to be our strongest and toughest guy in the paint. It might not be ideal for his skill set but it is going to be something JB is going to need him to do.

He was up to 225 in April. I hope he is up above 230 now. That extra muscle is going to be needed.

Matthew Moyer transforms body, shooting stroke in Syracuse basketball redshirt year

Oy. I was thinking more along the lines of a Dante Cunningham type re: Nova. Hoping Bourama can hold it down. He probably has the best instincts of all the contenders.

Maybe but our best defender will be Bourama.
He better be. The bar is not set very high.

Regardless, he is not strong enough to handle some bigs we will face and he will get in foul trouble a lot, like all young bigs. There will be times when PC and BS are not enough.

Moyer will fill that void. Or at least try to fill it.

He better be. The bar is not set very high.

Regardless, he is not strong enough to handle some bigs we will face and he will get in foul trouble a lot, like all young bigs. There will be times when PC and BS are not enough.

Moyer will fill that void. Or at least try to fill it.

I agree with everything here. I am concerned about Sidibe's lack of strength too but his hoops IQ and positioning will help. I said in another post that he's good at staying out of foul trouble brought on by stupid fouls (or was in high school) but I think it could happen due to him overcompensating for being too weak.

I am very excited to watch Sidibe block shots and get a running game going. I think it's imperative JB gets our break going this year because we will lack suitable weapons in the half court.

Maybe but our best defender will be Bourama.
i think he's got immense potential; my last question though is who is going to have coaching responsibility for the centers this year? i assume either red or griff and I believe it will be the first time either has had that assignment.

i think he's got immense potential; my last question though is who is going to have coaching responsibility for the centers this year? i assume either red or griff and I believe it will be the first time either has had that assignment.

They announced that I think but I forgot. I know Gerry is staying with the guards.

Griff.

Well, we HAVE to have someone prepared to play the middle as a third center. Foul trouble or an potential injury really demands that. Of the forwards on the roster Matt has the most experience in the zone, certainly seems cerebral enough to understand the role and physically is about the same size as Lydon. Will certainly not be ideal but not a stretch to think he could give us some minutes in a pinch if needed.