Bowl Game in Boston? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bowl Game in Boston?

Yankee Stadium is a poor football venue, but as a destination city for a bowl game, New York offers a range of activity well beyond what Boston could ever hope to provide, especially in December. Not close.

And don't get mad at me Cuseregular. I would never stand between you and your North End pasta. :p

I just took my daughter to Boston in July, and they have done so much more on the tourism front than when I used to visit regularly as a college kid in the 70s and early 80s. The whole Freedom Trail / Fanuiel Hall area is awesome. Great restaurants (although not necessarily "New York" restaurants), the MFA is right up there as a world class fine art museum. There is great shopping in the Back Bay, live music and comedy.

December can be cold in Boston. That wind always seemed to make it colder than NYC. But there is great history in Boston and really great seafood (if you avoid the touristy places) to go with the Italian food in the North End.

Never been to Massimo's. We tended to end up at Giacomo if we could get in or Saraceno. Then Mike's Pastry, of course!

Giacomo's and Mike's sounds like a perfect evening. We try to get to Giacamo's when they open so we dont have to wait in lines so long. Great time!!

I just took my daughter to Boston in July, and they have done so much more on the tourism front than when I used to visit regularly as a college kid in the 70s and early 80s. The whole Freedom Trail / Fanuiel Hall area is awesome. Great restaurants (although not necessarily "New York" restaurants), the MFA is right up there as a world class fine art museum. There is great shopping in the Back Bay, live music and comedy.

December can be cold in Boston. That wind always seemed to make it colder than NYC. But there is great history in Boston and really great seafood (if you avoid the touristy places) to go with the Italian food in the North End.

I used to hit the North End every year, the night before the marathon. My traditional spot there was Mamma Maria, and I usually had the rabbit pappardelle.

Before they moved up the start time for the marathon, there was plenty of time to stroll around afterward, maybe even have a little gelato. Some good memories in Boston.

Not sure its a great fit given how sparse/expensive hotel rooms are here.

But TV is what matters most and Fenway is a popular backdrop for TV. Even if its empty. This could be very appealing to leagues that have crappy bowl tie ins. But again while a MAC alum would likely rather spend a weekend in Boston than Detroit one city would cost 50 bucks in gas to attend while the other is going to set you back a grand at least with flights and hotel.

I hope it happens because I love bowl games and likely would throw some money on it and attend. If it features P5 schools which I doubt even better.

If Syracuse is there, I'm there (If it's a P5 opponent).

Yankee Stadium is a poor football venue, but as a destination city for a bowl game, New York offers a range of activity well beyond what Boston could ever hope to provide, especially in December. Not close.

And don't get mad at me Cuseregular. I would never stand between you and your North End pasta. :p

I will say, though, that the bar scene around Fenway — and area in general — is superior to Yankee Stadium.

Good post and yep Boston’s version of “little Italy” on their north end is about 100x better to visit than what’s left of NYCs little Italy. As mentioned I’ll take any reason to visit (not to mention Legal Seafoods!).

Good post and yep Boston’s version of “little Italy” on their north end is about 100x better to visit and than what’s left of NYCs little Italy. As mentioned I’ll take any reason to visit (not to mention Legal Seafoods!).
This post is very true.

I'm going to Mike's Pastry's tomorrow.(not kidding ;-) ) You can't have have any. It's ALL MINE.

As someone who is in Boston a bunch, almost NO ONE is aware that college football exists. They just don't care. Decent town with things to do, yes. Do I want to see a bowl game there? Heck No. I'd rather spend 3K to go to Orlando(again), than $30 for Boston parking.
I hope the line is long :p

Seriously though, I hope you had a cannoli for me - or one of those lobster tails (or whatever they’re called).

Good post and yep Boston’s version of “little Italy” on their north end is about 100x better to visit than what’s left of NYCs little Italy. As mentioned I’ll take any reason to visit (not to mention Legal Seafoods!).

It's true, but New York just kills it 1,000 other ways.

Boston's not going to beat New York in a restaurant contest.

Few places are.

I will say, though, that the bar scene around Fenway — and area in general — is superior to Yankee Stadium.

I'll agree with that Cuseguy. You and I have both done plenty of research in that area.

We should have doctorates by now.

I'm going to Mike's Pastry's tomorrow.(not kidding ;-) ) You can't have have any. It's ALL MINE.

As someone who is in Boston a bunch, almost NO ONE is aware that college football exists. They just don't care. Decent town with things to do, yes. Do I want to see a bowl game there? Heck No. I'd rather spend 3K to go to Orlando(again), than $30 for Boston parking.
I worked at one of the largest DSG stores in the northeast and we were 7 miles from Chestnut Hill and didn’t even bother carrying BC gear.

As someone who is in Boston a bunch, almost NO ONE is aware that college football exists. They just don't care. Decent town with things to do, yes. Do I want to see a bowl game there? Heck No. I'd rather spend 3K to go to Orlando(again), than $30 for Boston parking.[/QUOTE]
send me an Oreo Canoli please

The Lahbstah bowl
The Beantown bowl
The Tawmy Brady bowl
The Wicked bowl
The Bubblah bowl

The "Whitey" Bulger Bowl would be a knock out, one Irish school must play in it annually

There is no way the ACC drops the Pinstripe and there is no way the Pinstripe is going anywhere.

They put that football field down in November and it gets used by a ton of HS and local colleges. They also usually fit a D1 game in there too.

I have no problem with a game at Fenway, I just expect it to be a shlitty bowl that I would want Cuse to be no part of.

Onward and upward...

Walking around the North End after the 1994 World Cup quarterfinal that Italy won in Foxboro was awesome.

Dinner at Joe Tecce's (RIP) and hitting up pastry shops at 4-5am while people were banging drums and playing music in the streets. One of the best sports experiences.

I'll still keep banging the drum to move our "rivalry" game to the Conference opener rather than Thanksgiving weekend with generally terrible weather, the team's fate pretty much decided and no students on campus. A late September / early October weekend in Boston sounds better to me than sitting on ice crusted bleachers.

that city doesn't excite me in December, Ill take any new ones in the south please

Not that Indianapolis is warm in December but a Bowl Game in Lucas Oil in the midwest would be fun
We need to move the game in Detroit to Indy. A big NOOOOO to Boston. NYC is cold enough.

We need to move the game in Detroit to Indy. A big NOOOOO to Boston. NYC is cold enough.
We need to move the game in Detroit back to America.

(And yes, I know Detroit is in Michigan...)

Yankee Stadium was built with the intention to accommodate football and even then its not the best atmosphere for a football game. Fenway is a complete novelty. If they want another northern bowl go to Indianapolis where you can play indoors.
I hear there’s even one in the Northeast. ;)

I worked at one of the largest DSG stores in the northeast and we were 7 miles from Chestnut Hill and didn’t even bother carrying BC gear.
With 54 colleges in Boston, Why would they? Boston University(cut football in 1997) has 26,000 more students, Harvard 20,000 more. BC is that small school that Doug Flutie went to.

Indy is a fine city with lots to offer. The "Hoosier Pa Hoosier Ma Bowl"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom