Boxscore for TGD: ACC Deal: Grandslam, GROB: Wiff. Enough ? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Boxscore for TGD: ACC Deal: Grandslam, GROB: Wiff. Enough ?

We were sued by Michigan State.

It was a groundless suit, that was settled with certain pretty benign terms.

We had to send them a case of Hoffman white hots and Dino BBQ sauce.

Docs done a very good job. I would give him a solid B at this point and he seems to get better each year on the job

Agree with that. A lot of the problems since circa 2000 might have been anticipated and perhaps avoided. Maybe we would not have had to suffer the total collapse of football. Seems the prior regime just got tired or complacent and were not willing to be proactive...funny isn't that also a significant criticism of the Big East Conference?
Donnie Webb reported (in the blog, not the paper) that Jake wanted to terminate P in 2003, after the at Rutgers-in-the-wind debacle, but the move was vetoed by Buzz. We probably would have been better off with Jake (who knew northeast football and coaches) making the decision on a new coach in 2003. If Jake's choice didn't work out, TGD would have been much better acclimated to make a change a few years later.

OrangePA; would it be reasonable to conclude that thinking/planning regarding facility upgrades was dependent/predicated on a move to the ACC back in early 2000's?

We had to send them a case of Hoffman white hots and Dino BBQ sauce.

Michigan State allowed the trademark to lapse.

SU took the trademark.

Michigan State brought a groundless lawsuit - rather than just agree to allow both schools to use the Block S.

Eventually a deal was struck. SU agreed that it would not use a white Block S.

So, you were close. "White" had something to do with the deal.

OrangePA; would it be reasonable to conclude that thinking/planning regarding facility upgrades was dependent/predicated on a move to the ACC back in early 2000's?

I really don't know the answer to that.

TGD.jpg

In terms of conference alignment i agree with you PA. Jake OR maybe SU as a whole was behind the curve with the upgrade of the facilities. I could be wrong though, you are more in the loop than i am.

I think it's right that those with the purse strings allowed the Program to fall behind in the facilities war.

That seems pretty clear. Whether they realized the ramifications of what they were not doing is not clear to me. It may be that they made a calculated decision, thinking that there were other financial priorities.

View attachment 835 View attachment 836View attachment 837

How original. (Maybe it should spell out Syracuse above or below). But then, the idea is a visual image that is instantly recognizable as Syracuse University. I wonder how many non-SU fans or alumni could identify which one is Syracuse. You would think the color would help but I'd love to see the percentage getting it correct.

Whether you run a Jimmy Johns or an athletic department, isn't it nice to accurately forecast incoming revenue? Wouldnt that be nice? The BE does not offer an equal share of revenue per full-time member. The ACC, on the other hand, does.

Of the Big East's eight schools that compete in basketball and football, Syracuse had the lowest share at $7.5 million in 2009-10. The next lowest share was Louisville at $8.02 million. The Big East's highest share was given to West Virginia at $10,427,259, still more than $400,000 less than the lowest share in the ACC.
Gross said that equal revenue sharing in the ACC has its advantages and disadvantages.
"You want to be able to say, ‘This is what we know we can expect this year,'" Gross said. "But what I applaud in the Big East was that it was a competitive deal. So if you finish first, you got rewarded for being first, and there was a structure like that."
For Andrew Zimbalist, a sports economist and the Robert A. Woods Professor of Economics at Smith College in Massachusetts, equal revenue sharing is the better model — and not just because it offers more financial stability to members. Zimbalist said dividing revenue based on performance is inappropriate and goes against the amateur ideal of college sports.

Disagree.

The Block S is great.

Just get it off the helmets!!!

Exactly right. Who could hate the block S? Beautifully collegiate. It does need to come off the helmets though.