Brandon Triche | Syracusefan.com

Brandon Triche

SWC75

Bored Historian
In his last 11 games, (not counting the exhibitions and going back to the Rutgers game last year), he's 33 for 103 from the field, (32.0%). He's 14 for 49 (28.6%) from outside the arc. He's 19 for 53 (35.8%) inside the arc.

Dion Waiters, in the same 11 games, is 41 for 76, (53.9%) overall, 11 for 29 outside the arc, (37.9%) and 30/47 (63.8%) inside of it.

Just sayin'

I will wholeheartedly agree Dion has been playing better. Triche seems to have confidence issues, moping around, putting his head down when he makes a mistake. If JB replaces Triche with Dion in the starting lineup, who's to say Triche goes into his shell and becomes even less confident in himself?

I think JB understand that and that is why Triche has continued to start, even going back to last year.

I will wholeheartedly agree Dion has been playing better. Triche seems to have confidence issues, moping around, putting his head down when he makes a mistake. If JB replaces Triche with Dion in the starting lineup, who's to say Triche goes into his shell and becomes even less confident in himself?

I think JB understand that and that is why Triche has continued to start, even going back to last year.

And maybe it's better to have the better offesnive player be the spark off the bench. Still, do you start guys because they would feel bad if you didn't? And if Brandon is moping around as a starter, what are you gaining? I do think Brandon is a better defender and I'm not sure he's moping. He's just not as effective a scorer playing a position where scoring is his #1 job.

We could extend this to Fab last year or CJ Fair and Rak this year, I don't think it is going too far out on a limb to say Fair is a better player right now than Rak. Why is Rak starting then? Some politics? Showing blue chip recruits that you can get playing time here as a frosh? I am not sure, but I have faith in JB that he will make the right decisions.

Having a spark off the bench is also important. Didn't the Dallas Mavericks have Jason Terry coming off the bench and he was averaging something like 20 points per game. I think there is an advantage having fresh legs that are adept in scoring coming into the game halfway through the first half when everyone else is starting to feel it.

I understand keeping Triche as a starter, because he would shatter into a million pieces if he lost his starting slot. But, his minutes have to come down if he is sulking out there.

If he misses his first 2 shots, he almost never recovers.

Maybe if he came off the bench he wouldnt carry the weight of the world on his shoulders.

I'd rather keep him as a starter but just throwing that out there.

Triche needs to pick up his shooting no doubt about it. He must make them in practice because he has the green light and JB wants him to be more aggressive.

I love that short floater he has made the last couple of games. He is our best defender in the 2-3 out top and pretty secure with the ball but he has to shoot better IMO.

Triche needs to pick up his shooting no doubt about it. He must make them in practice because he has the green light and JB wants him to be more aggressive.

I love that short floater he has made the last couple of games. He is our best defender in the 2-3 out top and pretty secure with the ball but he has to shoot better IMO.
he needs to stick with that floater

saying he is the best defender out top is just like your opinion man

Triche will find his game, give him some time. That's why it's nice that we have a soft schedule this time of year. The real games matter against Florida and the BE.

Triche will find his game, give him some time. That's why it's nice that we have a soft schedule this time of year. The real games matter against Florida and the BE.
I believe by the time we get to the Big East regular season you will see Brandon moved to starting point guard. Having Scoop come off the bench, I think Scoop will also be more effective. Dion and Brandon starting I think will be the best way to go.

he needs to stick with that floater

saying he is the best defender out top is just like your opinion man

LOL, feel free to add IMO after everything I post. It is my opinion but I think he is the best position wise and sceem wise in the 2-3. Dion has the ability to be better physically and MCW no doubt will be better eventually and possibly one of the best we have had defensively out top.

I believe by the time we get to the Big East regular season you will see Brandon moved to starting point guard. Having Scoop come off the bench, I think Scoop will also be more effective. Dion and Brandon starting I think will be the best way to go.

I don't think that will happen but I would love to see it.

And the Louisville game before that. Bumps him to 32% from 3 and 37% from field. Waiters still way better.

Though it would help if someone used linear regression (whatever that is) to analyze the data. Is anyone on here qualified to do that?

Brandon's biggest "issue" as always, is his level of inconsistency.
Yesterday we saw the hesitant, insecure, moping, non-confident Brandon, who went into his mini-shell after clanking a couple of shots. They showed a shot of his face as JB laced into him about something, & he looked...sad, like his feelings were hurt. Thats understandable when you're getting blasted by the HOF'er, but he quickly disappeared right after that.
Most troubling???? This is YEAR 3 of hearing JB's tirades, & they STILL affect him that much? Really?
The game against Fordham, we saw the assertive, confident, Alpha-like Brandon, who quickly set the tone on offense & defense.

Next game???? :noidea:

...this is really getting out there...BT was one of best players we had in BE last year...if you think he hasnt been good in these three games so far...listen to what JB has said...last night he praised all three for assts...oh, BT had as many as Waiters and Scoop...has more rebounds, has not shot as well; has played on court when team has outscored opponents by bigger #s than Scoop...so let's wait and see...

If you go back 12, WVU included. 13, Louisville. Both good Triche games.

I remembered that Triche was in a slump at the end of last season. This could be an unrelated bad start or a continuation. And Waiters spent most of last season floating around the perimeter, jacking up treys. Then, towards then end, he started showing the more explosive dribble penetration game he was reputed to have. And he's continuing to do it this year. So I decided to look at both of their numbers since the start of Triche's slump and found the difference quite striking.

There's nothing unusual in this approach. Last year Ryan Nassib in his first four games, was 61 for 105 (.581) for 860 yards, 9 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. He averaged 14.1 yards per completion, 8.2 yards per attempt and had a quarterback rating of 151.37. In his next 8 games he was 128 for 232 (.551) for 1235 yards, 7TDs and 6 picks. He averaged 9.6 yards per completion and 5.3 per attempt.with a QB rating of 104.67. He had a nice comeback in our bowl game but Nassib's performance in those last eight games was certainly a factor in how productive the offense was. Three of those first four games were gainst Akron, Maine and Colgate and that was also a factor in evaluating his season.

It could be that 11 games are not a substantial enough period or that there is no carry-over from last season. We'll see what happens as this season progresses. But if there continues to be a big difference in the offensive output of Triche and Waiters, I suspect that their relative playing time and the responsibilities they have on the team will be effected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom