Brazil v. Croatia | Syracusefan.com

Brazil v. Croatia

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Come on, man. That penalty was abysmal. Fred simply threw himself to the ground. That Japanese ref will not get any more games after the group stage. That was just terrible. Game likely would have been a draw. Croatia turned off in the late moments when Oscar got the third goal.

As a Chelsea fan, I liked what Oscar did last night in the middle of the park, and I happen to agree with Mourinho's assessment that Oscar was holding himself back at the end of the club season, trying to get healthy for the World Cup instead of pushing himself to try to win the Premier League or the Champions League. I am so happy that Chelsea picked up Fabregas, just so if Oscar switches off again next season, we have someone who can play the number 10 role and break down defenses with a sharp pass.

Croatia were chasing a goal (well i may add) at that point so a third goal was always likely to happen. The PK was aweful, the Croatia goal called off was almost as poor, and the third goal resulted after Rakitic got thrown to the ground in midfield and shouldve been a free kick the other way. Oh and Olic getting clipped going down field being ignored as well as Neymar elbow into Modric only getting a yellow were key moments.

Other side of the coin is Croatia are a VERY good team which I think was lost on a lot of folks in the build up. Those 2 teams are coming out of that group. Oscar looked great, and Neymar as well aside from his dirty tactics. Dani Alves is an absolute mess though and hangs their entire defense out. You simply can't be a right back and play 90% of the game in the offensive half. That flies at club level for him because he plays on a superior talented team but they'll get caught out, potentially in the round of 16 when they play Spain, Holland, or Chile.

Come on, man. That penalty was abysmal. Fred simply threw himself to the ground. That Japanese ref will not get any more games after the group stage. That was just terrible. Game likely would have been a draw. Croatia turned off in the late moments when Oscar got the third goal.

As a Chelsea fan, I liked what Oscar did last night in the middle of the park, and I happen to agree with Mourinho's assessment that Oscar was holding himself back at the end of the club season, trying to get healthy for the World Cup instead of pushing himself to try to win the Premier League or the Champions League. I am so happy that Chelsea picked up Fabregas, just so if Oscar switches off again next season, we have someone who can play the number 10 role and break down defenses with a sharp pass.

One of FIFA's biggest issues is the fact that it insists on using refs from all over the globe and using them for the most pressure-packed games imaginable.

It would be like the NFL or NBA pulling up high school refs to ref the play-offs. We saw what happened with replacement refs in the NFL.

The ref completely blew the call. But these types of things will continue to happen as long as FIFA insists on using minor league refs.

Oscar was the best player for Brazil last night. Neymar is immensely talented but he continually holds the ball too long, especially outside the final third - always looking to take somebody on rather than making the easy pass and letting the ball do the work. Alves and Marcello have zero interest in playing defense.

This was a different team than what we saw last summer at the Confederations Cup. They just didn't look smooth last night. Way too many easy give-aways and the intricate one- and two-touch play for which the Brazilians are so renowned was barely in evidence last night. Croatia was a decent goalie and one bad call away from winning that game last night.

I picked them to win it all and I still think they have a huge advantage playing at home but the way they played last night should not scare anyone.

The ref completely blew the call. But these types of things will continue to happen as long as FIFA insists on using minor league refs.

Yes and No. As football fans, you and I could both list off a ton of refs from major leagues that consistantly things up. Howard Webb, Phil Dowd, etc, etc

Croatia were chasing a goal (well i may add) at that point so a third goal was always likely to happen. The PK was aweful, the Croatia goal called off was almost as poor, and the third goal resulted after Rakitic got thrown to the ground in midfield and shouldve been a free kick the other way. Oh and Olic getting clipped going down field being ignored as well as Neymar elbow into Modric only getting a yellow were key moments.

Other side of the coin is Croatia are a VERY good team which I think was lost on a lot of folks in the build up. Those 2 teams are coming out of that group. Oscar looked great, and Neymar as well aside from his dirty tactics. Dani Alves is an absolute mess though and hangs their entire defense out. You simply can't be a right back and play 90% of the game in the offensive half. That flies at club level for him because he plays on a superior talented team but they'll get caught out, potentially in the round of 16 when they play Spain, Holland, or Chile.

No argument on all the bad calls, but a lot of things like flying elbows and rough tackles can get swept aside when compared to a penalty being awarded. I agree that Croatia was a good side. Imagine if they had Mandzukic up front at the point of attack. Another one or two of those early chances would have been capitalized on, and Brazil might have been in an even bigger hole.

Alves and Marcello have zero interest in playing defense.

This was a different team than what we saw last summer at the Confederations Cup. They just didn't look smooth last night. Way too many easy give-aways and the intricate one- and two-touch play for which the Brazilians are so renowned was barely in evidence last night. Croatia was a decent goalie and one bad call away from winning that game last night.

I picked them to win it all and I still think they have a huge advantage playing at home but the way they played last night should not scare anyone.

Forza, I agree about the lack of defense by Brazil. They are going to get smoked when they get out of the group stage if they don't really tighten up at the back. They were not doing obvious, simple, basic things like closing down on shooters. My pick was Germany, but the injuries are going to really hurt their offense. To me, Spain and Argentina are looking like the potential finalists.

Yes and No. As football fans, you and I could both list off a ton of refs from major leagues that consistantly things up. Howard Webb, Phil Dowd, etc, etc

Actually, I think of Howard Webb as one of the very best officials. And Phil Dowd isn't bad, either, although he has had his moments of controversy.

Actually, I think of Howard Webb as one of the very best officials. And Phil Dowd isn't bad, either, although he has had his moments of controversy.

Perhaps I have Webb confused with another but that fat oompa loompa Phil Dowd is terrible. He can't keep up with the play and ends up guessing at what he may or may not have saw.

Edit ~ It is Webb and I know why you don't mind him, he reffed our match at Stamford Bridge this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom