Breakdown: 'FOR' the move, versus 'AGAINST' | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Breakdown: 'FOR' the move, versus 'AGAINST'

With only 8,900 seats when the Pavilion opens it'll be tough to get tickets, I'd imagine. It'd be nice to see a game in town. Clemson isn't that far away either.
Plenty of GT alums down here to snatch tix.

Father attended SU so I have been an SU BB fan since I was old enough to understand sports. Attended SU in 76/77 with the ECAC and games at Manely. I am very sad to see all the BE history and tradition go down the tubes. Plus I have been brianwashed by this board to hate ACC BB and all the announcer homers. But things as they are, its show me the money and if we did not jump, someone else would have.
Beats the heck out of the B10.

oo44

I've been following SU basketball since the Pearl was playing. I don't like the move at all. I get that there are forces at work that I don't fully understand. As a fan of Syracuse basketball though, I find that trading out of the greatest basketball league in history and the BET at MSG for a game against Duke and Carolina once per year is an incredibly hard pill to swallow. I fear that our recruiting could suffer and I fear our program could become marginalized by the move if the college althletics landscape doesn't evolve as some are predicting.

As to hobbit- no way that happens. Who is going to go to a Clemson vs. Kansas St. game in the garden? NFW. The best I could see for Syracuse is something like a home and home with Villanova where our home game is at MSG.

I know we're all 'Cuse homers here... but seriously... by most objective measures we're trading INTO the greatest college basketball league in history.

I know we're all 'Cuse homers here... but seriously... by most objective measures we're trading INTO the greatest college basketball league in history.
Like the avatar.

I totally agree with that last part. Similarly, I'd seen some here talk about how great it would be to play Maryland in hoops. Maryland? Really? Who gives a ****, what the hell have they done since their national title 10 years ago?

Speaking as a Tar Heel fan, Maryland has beat us twice on national television. Greivous (sp?) Vasquez just destroyed us; thank goodness that dude is gone.

Ain't joking people, when Maryland gets cookin', they can play with anybody.

Speaking as a Tar Heel fan, Maryland has beat us twice on national television. Greivous (sp?) Vasquez just destroyed us; thank goodness that dude is gone.

I think in terms of football BC will be SU's "rival", but in terms of basketball, I think Maryland has the best chance of being our rival until UConn joins sometime in the future.

Cheers,
Neil

I mean the current incarnation of the Big East, as we have been playing in it for the past 3 - 5 years has been the most dominant league in the history of the sport. Look we all know that the number of championships doesn't define the full measure of a league's power. UConn finished 9th in the BE and won the championship. That alone doesn't say much about the BE or rival conferences. Yes the ACC has historically been strong, but the Big East went 6 and 7 deep with powerhouse programs. We've had 4 to 5 teams camped out in the top 10 for the past three years. The ACC is very down outside of Duke/UNC. There is a major drop-off below that. I think people see this ACC move like we somehow are going to be squaring off with UNC and Duke every night. We'll play 35 games plus or minus every year; two of them will be against those teams. And for that we trade MSG, the BET, the history and grit and power of the Big East, all the prime matchups, Big Monday, owning NYC for a weekend every year, etc etc. I just don't think its a good trade.

I grew up in Syracuse, I have been a big fan since my dad let me watch tv only cause the Orange were on tv in the NCAA's during the Final Four run. I went away to school rather than stay at SU. I can't decide how I feel about the change. I imagined my conference staying strong and growing in power for many years. My team would never fear irrelevance.

We have all hated the ACC for so long, it is hard to accept our conferences best members being eaten by the hated enemy. But now we are the enemy. The ACC is the Big East football conference, plus the Old ACC. I hope we add UConn and some other Northern School. Being ruled by the North Carolina group will really suck. We might have had a crappy conference if everybody else left, but the Big East knew they needed us, even feared us. The ACC is going to make us scrape and bow. I am already sick about playing in UNC's gym in a "neutral site" just because they only play outside of NC every four years during the ACCT.

However, after we (the ACC) pick up a few more schools, we as Syracuse fans will no longer wonder why we have to go to Texas every year. I was sick after we added TCU, no matter their tradition (on cue: What Tradition?) of winning one BCS bid the year before we picked them up.

The Big East leadership was running around like children with Attention Deficit. They found something shiny, and made it clear they didn't have a plan by picking that shiny top5 team up, instead of making a long term positive end result possible.

We Are... ACC!

It hurts so bad to say so.

Class of 1985. My head says the move is a great one, was desperately needed and was an absolute no-brainer.

My heart is in complete disagreement. Feel bad for the schools we are leaving, feel bad for losing the long standing rivalries we all worked so hard to build from over the years, feel bad for losing the BET experience, feel bad for losing so much of the tradition we have been able to build in my lifetime.

I felt the same way in 2003.

I also know without question it will be to our advantage if UConn, Rutgers and West Virginia do not get invitations to the ACC and their programs are marginalized by this. But I still want them in the ACC, so it has a strong NE presence and so we can retain some of what we had in the Big East.

And I want to still play GTown, Nova and St Johns on an annual basis, even if this is not always going to be in our interest to do so. And so we can retain some of the past, along with all the good things the future brings being a member of the ACC.

I'm the Class of '90 and I feel the exact same way as Tomcat. We must do it. I actually think it will be great for football having Fl. State, Va Tech, Clemson, Ga Tech, BC, and Miami in the dome but a little less exciting for basketball other than Duke and NC. I suspect our attendance goes up in football and down in bball. Worst part is that I'm from Jersey and I need my fix that I got from Rutgers, Seton Hall, Nova, St. Johns, and the BET.

They've chosen to keep the burners off for much of the last 8 years. A lot of teams can "play with anybody" on their best day.

I'm the Class of '90 and I feel the exact same way as Tomcat. We must do it. I actually think it will be great for football having Fl. State, Va Tech, Clemson, Ga Tech, BC, and Miami in the dome but a little less exciting for basketball other than Duke and NC. I suspect our attendance goes up in football and down in bball. Worst part is that I'm from Jersey and I need my fix that I got from Rutgers, Seton Hall, Nova, St. Johns, and the BET.

A LOT less exciting. Sure, USF, DePaul, Rutgers, Providence and Seton Hall may not excite, but that was more than offset by UConn, Lville, Gtown, Nova, WV, Marquette and ND. After Duke, UNC and Pitt, nobody in the remaining TEN opponents has been very interesting in recent years.

A LOT less exciting. Sure, USF, DePaul, Rutgers, Providence and Seton Hall may not excite, but that was more than offset by UConn, Lville, Gtown, Nova, WV, Marquette and ND. After Duke, UNC and Pitt, nobody in the remaining TEN opponents has been very interesting in recent years.
We can still play our rivals, and we have new quality teams to play against, and we get some cake games.

They won a NC in 02 but its been downhill since. They can pull in a star or two but not enough to achieve enough depth to make another run. We out recruit them in their own backyard. With the exception of Puke and NC ACC basketbqall is second rate, no better than the A-10. I would have much preferred NC and Duke join the Big East, rather than the other way around, but then again I could care less about football. Football revenue has destroyed the best basketball conference ever assembled - the Big East.

The size of the Big East damaged our traditional rivalries but the level of competition will never be duplicated by the ACC. One telling statement from an ACC fan is that there is much promise due toall the new coaches. Results come from proven coaches like the ones featured in the Big East. New coaches are hit and miss. The ACC bottom dwellers are going no place as they will continue to be dominated. If a mickey dee wants the ACC he will now have 4 schools to choose from. This makes it even harder for the bottom dwellers. The ACC will become two divisions, both of whom go only two deep. It will be like the NBA - skip the season, because the only thing that will count is the playoffs. I would feel better if we played NC and Duke twice each, each year, to build up a rivalry, but its not happening.

Right. Isn't that what JB says about every Big East team?

“Every game is tough in this league. When you have lost two or three in a row, especially a couple maybe you could have won, especially one you should have won, you start thinking about it a little bit. Overall we came out ready and took control of the game early and just had a hard time at the end. DePaul’s a good basketball team."

http://www.suathletics.com/sports/2007/2/3/boeheimquotes020307.aspx

We can still play our rivals, and we have new quality teams to play against, and we get some cake games.

The conference slate will overall be weaker than what we've been accustomed to in recent years, and none of the teams outside of UNC or Duke are very exciting opponents. I'm not saying the move shouldn't have been done anyway, but it does have downsides for basketball, far and away SU's biggest program.

I keep reading that we hated the ACC. Was it really the ACC or 75% Duke, 20% NCarolina and 5% the conference?

Sounds nice with the higher profile programs. Not sure there'd be much draw for the other programs though unless they faced a regional opponent. BC, Florida St, NC St, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Miami etc. vs. SEC, PAC-10, Big 10, Big 12, by themselves could be a bust. You might have to pair one of those games up in a doubleheader with a team like SU, UNC, Duke or Pitt. Now, add St. John's, UCon (if they don't get an invite), or Nova to the mix as opponents and that could spruce things up.

Well my point was to make sure that when an ACC team plays in MSG, they play a Quality Opponent, one that will draw; thus a team that was ranked no lower than #30 or #40 the previous season, and preferably a much stronger one than that.

Carolina has always played at least 3 legitimate OOC powers in November and December. In 2009-2010 we brutalized ourselves; Michigan State (Heels won 89-82), 'Cuse (you killed us 87-71), Ohio State (Heels 77-73), Kentucky (lost by a bucket, 68-66) and Texas (took us down 103-90). So, why not play one of those games in MSG?

I like the idea of the double header too, wasn't this done a lot in MSG back in the '50s? So, put Clemson vs Stanford first, then Syracuse vs UCLA 2nd. You know, pair a less popular ACC team (Clemson, Wake Forest) and its tough opponent, with a guaranteed draw team (dook, UNC, Syracuse, probably Pitt, perhaps Maryland too) and ITS tough opponent.

Well my point was to make sure that when an ACC team plays in MSG, they play a Quality Opponent, one that will draw; thus a team that was ranked no lower than #30 or #40 the previous season, and preferably a much stronger one than that.

Carolina has always played at least 3 legitimate OOC powers in November and December. In 2009-2010 we brutalized ourselves; Michigan State (Heels won 89-82), 'Cuse (you killed us 87-71), Ohio State (Heels 77-73), Kentucky (lost by a bucket, 68-66) and Texas (took us down 103-90). So, why not play one of those games in MSG?

I like the idea of the double header too, wasn't this done a lot in MSG back in the '50s? So, put Clemson vs Stanford first, then Syracuse vs UCLA 2nd. You know, pair a less popular ACC team (Clemson, Wake Forest) and its tough opponent, with a guaranteed draw team (dook, UNC, Syracuse, probably Pitt, perhaps Maryland too) and ITS tough opponent.

I get what you were saying. My point was that say, Clemson vs. Stanford by itself might not do too well @ MSG.

I remember selling soda pop in the stands when I was 15 in 1972. I watched in horror as Bowling Green smacked us around. I have no problem going to the ACC.
Take a good look at our schedule before the Big East football started and you will notice that we played
Miami and Va tech every other year, one year around 1980 we played 6 acc teams.
We had a long history Maryland going back into the 1930's. NC and NC state popped up frequently on our schedule.
I am glad to be free of the Providence mafia.
Free at last to reignite rivalries lost.

No. You are not. I think SWC is 102 and GOSU is 87 ;)

I hear CTO is only 39 though.

As to the thread, it really doesn't matter. It is what it is. It certainly means I will have an obligation to visit minicuse more often :p

I'll be 58 next month. I also attended games at Manley and have some old copies of "Eastern basketball". I'm happy as a clam.

When the Big East was formed I sent in letters saying BC, SU, Penn State, Pitt, West Virignia, Virginia Tech, South Carolina, Georgia tech, Florida State and Miami were all indepedents, at the time) and would make an ideal conference- an eastern version fo the Pac 10, a bucnh of nrothern schools who love to recruit southern football players and southern schools who love to recruit northern basketball players. The Big East was great in the 80's whenh it was basketball only, with all home and home games. But that era is long gone. And even then I liked the "eastern Pac 10" idea much better.

Eight of the ten teams aobve ar ein this conferecne. If we wind up in an ACC North with BC, UCONN. Rutgers, Pitt, Va Tech, Virginia and Maryland, that will more resemble the Big East than the Big East will. And it will be home and home in basketball each year. They might even have us play two eams from the other division home and home so an all home and home schedule. Meanwhile, looking back at the Big East is like looking at the Titanic from a lifeboat.

If we'd had said "No", it would have been Pitt and Connecticut and we're on the Titanic. We are where we blong- and where we should have been all along.