Brisly Estime... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Brisly Estime...

Actually most of the flak you caught had to do with your assertions about the strength of various football programs ... after UCF went to the BCS you were awfully quiet ... yeah I know they wouldn't win a game in the ACC ... :rolleyes:

I'm just waiting for his Cooney thread on the b'ball board. Strange - he hasn't posted one. I wonder why?

Well said... Coaches are certainly NOT infallible, just like doctors...
You can absolutely question BOTH at times...

I have yet to meet a poster who says you can't question a coach ... hell everyone here does it ... however it is easy to do when you don't know why they do what they do ... heaven forbid they had a reason for handling him like they did ... because we don't know the real reason its easy to make stupid threads like this twice a season and proclaim yourself right about 1 player ... everyone here knew he had talent ... no one ever said he didn't ... however no one knows why he was handled they way he was ... as dynamic as he is he has had a few drops and a really bad fumble in plus territory that could have been catastrophic.

The guy also had a broken bone in his hand and for all we know had injury issues throughout the season. So instead of enjoying a successful season and being happy we have to start the obligatory I told you so thread to make ourself feel better for being right about one thing while at the same time being so categorically wrong about almost everything else that comes out of ones mouth ...

I'm just waiting for his Cooney thread on the b'ball board. Strange - he hasn't posted one. I wonder why?

Well great now you reminded him ... I'm sure it will be posted shortly.

Because Cooney is playing due to my campaign.

Well great now you reminded him ... I'm sure it will be posted shortly.

Somehow I doubt it - he was destroying Cooney preseason & then shut his mouth until after the St. John's game. I was saying it as...he reminds us when he's right, but not when he's wrong.

Not at all. Brisly should have played more this year. He was our go-to WR and return guy when it mattered. He could have brought us alot more. What people like you or Bnoro think is about as low on my priority list as anything can possibly be.
Didn't Brisly miss time (better part of two games, I think) due to injury? All things considered, he had a fine freshman year. Enough with the woulda, shoulda, coulda's. That's all conjecture at this point.

My biggest concern is keeping him eligible. If he takes care of the academics and avoids injury he'll have a great career here.

Somehow I doubt it - he was destroying Cooney preseason & then shut his mouth until after the St. John's game. I was saying it as...he reminds us when he's right, but not when he's wrong.

Ah yes reminds us when he is right ... is it that time of the year already?

Didn't Brisly miss time (better part of two games, I think) due to injury?
Well, yes, according to the coaches but what to they know?

He may have had a tough time adjusting academically. He also had to learn how to block which he still needs to do. No telling how many valid reasons there were for his PT. They also had to move Broyld over and have him learn yet another position.

He may have had a tough time adjusting academically. He also had to learn how to block which he still needs to do. No telling how many valid reasons there were for his PT. They also had to move Broyld over and have him learn yet another position.

Block ... block ... theres no blocking in football!

So we're back where we started. You think one thing. Other people think other things. There's no new evidence that you were right. No basis for an "I told you so".
And all this bickering after a fantastic weekend to be a Cuse fan! Got to luv the family, just hard to live with them.

Unfortunately, we (the Syracuse football fanbase) are a pretty small group with a very focused shared characteristic -- We root for and love Syracuse football. Sometimes we posters have different opinions on various topics and that is great, because it gives us something to talk about and debate. We aren't Alabama fans, who can debate whether our team would beat various NFL teams. We aren't FSU fans, who can debate by how much we are going to beat Auburn to win the National Championship and whether any other team out there (Baylor, Oregon, Alabama) could stay within 20 points of us. We are Syracuse fans. We have to debate things like: which QB ought to be playing, which WRs deserve minutes, why isn't Jerome Smith getting more touches, why isn't Bristly Estime returning all punts and KOs. If there was no debate, there wouldn't be much to talk about.

There was nothing wrong with the OP's original post. He was excited by Estime being featured in the game. I was, too. He pointed out that he wanted Estime to be featured earlier this season, as did I, and there is nothing wrong with that. Yes, he pointed out that many of us respond to challenges of coaching decisions with "the coach knows best". That happens often on this board and I'm glad it does. Its good to have trust and to be able to trust in your team's coaching staff. Its also good to sometimes challenge the staff's decisions, because they aren't always correct. The responses range from: "thanks for stating the obvious" to "if you express enough opinions, you are bound to be correct once in a while" to "don't challenge the coaches decisions" and to a little bit of actual debate about the opinion offered. I'm thankful for Bnoro's post of "everyone here brings something to the board", which I took to include the original post and poster.

I started what I thought was a relatively innocuous topic a few weeks ago in the dead period between the end of season and the bowl game when there otherwise wasn't much to talk about in which I went back and assessed opinions offered about Nick Montana - QB of Tulane - and his performance for the year. I poked at SUTomcat for his opinion based on Montana's performance. The responses ranged from how dare I poke at the venerable Tom to what a ridiculous topic to I have no tact and am a jerk and finally to a little bit of actual debate over Montana's performance. I, for one, love reading Tom's "My take" after each game as they are very informative since I live several states away and don't get to home games often. Tom graciously and thankfully responded and it appeared at least to me that he had not taken offense that I went back to evaluate an opinion he had offered. He then offered some additional info and debate on Montana's performance. That is the way it should be. He didn't scoff at the fact someone challenged his opinion. He didn't respond that I was a jerk.

Everyone here does bring something to the board. If you don't agree with an opinion, you counter it or you ignore it. If you don't think the topic is worth the original post, by all means, don't read it but there is no need to respond to it to say that you think its a stupid topic.

He had a show at a lot of receptions this year but due to his reported lack of knowledge of the playbook early on he didn't see the field for what seems like half of the season. He easily could have had 50 receptions this year if he was used early on.

He had a show at a lot of receptions this year but due to his reported lack of knowledge of the playbook early on he didn't see the field for what seems like half of the season. He easily could have had 50 receptions this year if he was used early on.
50? More like 100.

50? More like 100.
Eh maybe but I think 50 would be pretty good for a freshman in a run first offense on a team with QB controversy due to two struggling QBs.

Actually most of the flak you caught had to do with your assertions about the strength of various football programs ... after UCF went to the BCS you were awfully quiet ... yeah I know they wouldn't win a game in the ACC ... :rolleyes:

Or the flak he got from saying that the bowl game didn't matter to anyone inside or outside of Syracuse. Yeah, I remember that comment. One of the most classless things I've read on this board this year.

Last edited:
well I coach football so I always favor the coaches decision because they know and see estime everyday in practice. We dont. lol.. At the school I coach at we have athletic kids that can make a play at anytime. But those same kids can hurt us too. A mis judge ball or trying to make something out of nothing can get you in trouble and can change the momentum of the game. What the coaches have to ask themselves is the risk worth the reward? keep in mind of our limitations on offense we had up until the last couple games. We were very careful of how we threw the ball and such. The staff probably wanted to be safe until we had an offense that could make up for special team mistakes. When that happened, Estime was inserted. Thats my thinking of it.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, we (the Syracuse football fanbase) are a pretty small group with a very focused shared characteristic -- We root for and love Syracuse football. Sometimes we posters have different opinions on various topics and that is great, because it gives us something to talk about and debate. We aren't Alabama fans, who can debate whether our team would beat various NFL teams. We aren't FSU fans, who can debate by how much we are going to beat Auburn to win the National Championship and whether any other team out there (Baylor, Oregon, Alabama) could stay within 20 points of us. We are Syracuse fans. We have to debate things like: which QB ought to be playing, which WRs deserve minutes, why isn't Jerome Smith getting more touches, why isn't Bristly Estime returning all punts and KOs. If there was no debate, there wouldn't be much to talk about.

There was nothing wrong with the OP's original post. He was excited by Estime being featured in the game. I was, too. He pointed out that he wanted Estime to be featured earlier this season, as did I, and there is nothing wrong with that. Yes, he pointed out that many of us respond to challenges of coaching decisions with "the coach knows best". That happens often on this board and I'm glad it does. Its good to have trust and to be able to trust in your team's coaching staff. Its also good to sometimes challenge the staff's decisions, because they aren't always correct. The responses range from: "thanks for stating the obvious" to "if you express enough opinions, you are bound to be correct once in a while" to "don't challenge the coaches decisions" and to a little bit of actual debate about the opinion offered. I'm thankful for Bnoro's post of "everyone here brings something to the board", which I took to include the original post and poster.

I started what I thought was a relatively innocuous topic a few weeks ago in the dead period between the end of season and the bowl game when there otherwise wasn't much to talk about in which I went back and assessed opinions offered about Nick Montana - QB of Tulane - and his performance for the year. I poked at SUTomcat for his opinion based on Montana's performance. The responses ranged from how dare I poke at the venerable Tom to what a ridiculous topic to I have no tact and am a jerk and finally to a little bit of actual debate over Montana's performance. I, for one, love reading Tom's "My take" after each game as they are very informative since I live several states away and don't get to home games often. Tom graciously and thankfully responded and it appeared at least to me that he had not taken offense that I went back to evaluate an opinion he had offered. He then offered some additional info and debate on Montana's performance. That is the way it should be. He didn't scoff at the fact someone challenged his opinion. He didn't respond that I was a jerk.

Everyone here does bring something to the board. If you don't agree with an opinion, you counter it or you ignore it. If you don't think the topic is worth the original post, by all means, don't read it but there is no need to respond to it to say that you think its a stupid topic.

Look I get what you are saying but people who get on here and simply start an "I told you so" thread especially when directed at people either need to get out of their parent's basement or just weren't hugged enough as children .. I say, "I told you so" enough to my children don't need to do it to grown men on a message board and make a point to single people out while doing it either.

Really childish IMHO. See everyone is entitled to their opinion but you have to be pretty damn insecure to go ahead and wait a few months and then resurrect this ... like I said people just can't enjoy the season they need to light the occasional fire out of what seems like complete boredom.

Meh. I'm just glad for Estime. Hope he gets more game time in '14! LGO!

well I coach football so I always favor the coaches decision because they know and see estime everyday in practice. We dont. lol.. At the school I coach at we have athletic kids that can make a play at anytime. But those same kids can hurt us too. A mis judge ball or trying to make something out of nothing can get you in trouble and at times and change the momentum of the game. What the coaches have to ask themselves is the risk worth the reward? keep in mind of our limitations on offense we had up until the last couple games. We were very careful of how we threw the ball and such. The staff probably wanted to be safe until we had an offense that could make up for special team mistakes. When that happened, Estime was inserted. Thats my thinking of it.[/quote

That makes entirely too much sense to be true.

nah, those were different topics. I still dont think UCF is very good and expect them to lose by 30 in their bowl game. Agree to disagree.
Estime has great potential, but he needs greater strength, he has had trouble hanging on to the ball several times. I am betting this was the case in practice. The full year and off season in strength and conditioning should help solve these weaknesses in his game. I expect him to be very good going forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom