Broyld, Estime in contention for H-back spot despite vast differences in size, skillset | Syracusefan.com

Broyld, Estime in contention for H-back spot despite vast differences in size, skillset

If McDonald can get the playmakers the ball it'll be a nice asset to have, especially if the offense can run the ball like they did last year. I would absolutely love to see a guy catch the ball in the flat and turn it on and go basically untouched 50+ yards to the end zone.

Good explanation by Shafer -- this is situational.

It doesn't fit easily into the depth chart, any more than a nickel back or a dime back.

Similar, I suspect, with calling AAM a FB. When you don't line up with a traditional blocking FB, can have AAM, or Broyld, or Estime as the second RB in the backfield, or on the wing, in different situations. And you mix it up depending on down & distance, what the opponent is doing, and what each can add to the offense.

Can't dope it out by the labels (H-back) -- have to see it when applied.

Very exicted for estime and the wiggle he has ESP if we can get him the ball In Space... He's going to have so much value this year in situational downs on O and in special teams.

Good explanation by Shafer -- this is situational.

It doesn't fit easily into the depth chart, any more than a nickel back or a dime back.

Similar, I suspect, with calling AAM a FB. When you don't line up with a traditional blocking FB, can have AAM, or Broyld, or Estime as the second RB in the backfield, or on the wing, in different situations. And you mix it up depending on down & distance, what the opponent is doing, and what each can add to the offense.

Can't dope it out by the labels (H-back) -- have to see it when applied.

That makes sense and one of the keys is to be able to play off of it as well. If one of these two are in the game and every time they are they get the ball, will the offense be able to manipulate the defenses and have them as decoys as well? If the offense can get 90+ snaps like last year I see this working very well but if there is a flow problem I wonder how well the coaches will be able to incorporate this.

I'm not into the semantics of it either...11 guys and you're trying to score each time you touch the ball.

This kind of stuff is SWC's two back dreamland!

That makes sense and one of the keys is to be able to play off of it as well. If one of these two are in the game and every time they are they get the ball, will the offense be able to manipulate the defenses and have them as decoys as well? If the offense can get 90+ snaps like last year I see this working very well but if there is a flow problem I wonder how well the coaches will be able to incorporate this.

I'm not into the semantics of it either...11 guys and you're trying to score each time you touch the ball.

Yes -- decoys a lot of the time.

If we had 3 top WRs, and a second TE with pass-catching skills, we could stay with a plain-vanilla line-up. I expect we will use a lot of "H-back" (Broyld & Estime, but also Morris, McFarlane) to supplement what we have or don't have in other spots. Use counters; throw to one of the backs etc. Just seems like the strength of this bunch on offense.

If McDonald can get the playmakers the ball it'll be a nice asset to have, especially if the offense can run the ball like they did last year. I would absolutely love to see a guy catch the ball in the flat and turn it on and go basically untouched 50+ yards to the end zone.

The best SU YAC guy I can remember is Qadry. Others?

The best SU YAC guy I can remember is Qadry. Others?

Kevin Johnson maybe? 98 or so was pretty much the end of explosive players on the hill, good players but no turn it into 6 from a distance.

YAC pre injury Spotwood...maybe I'm just thinking of his punt returns...Kevin Johnson?

What is hot is the idea of getting Estime against a linebacker on a wheel route. Syracuse used to throw to backs on wheels a bunch and I would like to see that a again.

Estime is the only true freshman listed on the depth chart, correct? If he and AB can catch the ball all over the field we could be in for some very good things offensively. If this o-line shapes up like I hope and think it can and these wr's do their thing...wow.

Really looking forward to seeing what McDonald designs offensively.

And it will be interesting to see how Broyld is used--would like to see him pass it occasionally.

After reading those articles, I'm more confused than ever. It sounded like they will be playing linebacker, too.

My experience over the years tells me that if you don't have a specialty that the team relies on you to do, we see less and less of you as the season goes along. Those "situations" they want to use you in seem to disappear. "H" back, "slash"- it doesn't matter. You are a player without a position, and that's not good.

I hope I'm wrong because I'd like to see more of Ashton, (how about a halfback option?) and Brisley, not less of them.

After reading those articles, I'm more confused than ever. It sounded like they will be playing linebacker, too.

My experience over the years tells me that if you don't have a specialty that the team relies on you to do, we see less and less of you as the season goes along. Those "situations" they want to use you in seem to disappear. "H" back, "slash"- it doesn't matter. You are a player without a position, and that's not good.

I hope I'm wrong because I'd like to see more of Ashton, (how about a halfback option?) and Brisley, not less of them.
Somebody explain to me why Broyld can't play WR. Everytime ESPN oohs and ahhs about 6' 4" WRs, I'm left wondering. What am I missing here?