Broyld's Speed | Syracusefan.com

Broyld's Speed

CUSU

Starter
In my opinion I feel a lot of people are under rating Broylds speed. I don't think he's a burner like Estime but I think he is faster than most people give him credit for. He has a unique running style which I think makes him appear a little slower. I would be really interested in what his 20, 40, and 60 yard splits are.

I agree he is more elusive than fast but I still think he is faster than most give him credit for.

I would like to see him catch some slants like the ones Alec used to take to the house. Similar speed and toughness but needs to work on the hands.

In my opinion I feel a lot of people are under rating Broylds speed. I don't think he's a burner like Estime but I think he is faster than most people give him credit for. He has a unique running style which I think makes him appear a little slower. I would be really interested in what his 20, 40, and 60 yard splits are.

Recruiting sites listed him as 4.5 forty. Whether this is true or not I have no idea. When I watch him he looks like he has good but not burner speed - certainly not as fast as Brisly.

I am a big fan of AB's ever since the CT game last year when as a RB he ran three plays in a row into the line and hit the hole quickly, made quick moves and was difficult to tackle. That is what I expected to see for the next three years. However, he had trouble with blocking assignments and the staff moved him to the slot to get him in space.

I saw four games this year, which allowed me to watch the pass patterns. Broyld is good at getting open but he doesn't run past people. He has average hands (not bad hands) and he will probably become more reliable as he gets more experience.

Defenses have to account for him, which will be very helpful as we get better receivers. He should have a very productive career at SU.

I agree he is more elusive than fast but I still think he is faster than most give him credit for.

For the most part though I haven't really seen him make too many guys miss. Against Minny for example he was tackled by one guy out in the flat on one play in particular. If he makes that guy miss he was in business for a big play. If he is to become a great player for 'cuse, he cannot let one guy alone out in space take him down. From my experience I have not seen elusiveness from him on a consistent basis. He certainly has the physical tools to be a difference maker, time for him to step up! Perhaps next year is the breakout year for him.

Recruiting sites listed him as 4.5 forty. Whether this is true or not I have no idea. When I watch him he looks like he has good but not burner speed - certainly not as fast as Brisly.

I am a big fan of AB's ever since the CT game last year when as a RB he ran three plays in a row into the line and hit the hole quickly, made quick moves and was difficult to tackle. That is what I expected to see for the next three years. However, he had trouble with blocking assignments and the staff moved him to the slot to get him in space.

I saw four games this year, which allowed me to watch the pass patterns. Broyld is good at getting open but he doesn't run past people. He has average hands (not bad hands) and he will probably become more reliable as he gets more experience.

Defenses have to account for him, which will be very helpful as we get better receivers. He should have a very productive career at SU.

For me if you go back and look at last year when he was at RB he runs harder. To me it doesn't seem like he runs as hard when running routes, maybe he is concentrating on the route idk.

For the most part though I haven't really seen him make too many guys miss. Against Minny for example he was tackled by one guy out in the flat on one play in particular. If he makes that guy miss he was in business for a big play. If he is to become a great player for 'cuse, he cannot let one guy alone out in space take him down. From my experience I have not seen elusiveness from him on a consistent basis. He certainly has the physical tools to be a difference maker, time for him to step up! Perhaps next year is the breakout year for him.

He seemed more elusive when at RB I think because he's better with a "head of steam".

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8382672

He seemed more elusive when at RB I think because he's better with a "head of steam".

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8382672
Or maybe because the guys on the other team in that clip are playing for a SUNY school. Let's face it this guy is a good athlete but has been moved around a lot and is learning a new position seemingly every year. Personally I think that by itself is pretty impressive and speaks to his athleticism and I'm looking forward to what he can do to build upon the good start to his career as a WR. He has two more years to answer the question of will he be good enough to collect a paycheck playing football. Today the answer is probably not- but he still has time. I'd like to see him moved around- slot, backfield, out wide and get some more opportunities in space to show his elusiveness. Hopefully with a full year and offseason under his belt OCGM and the offense will improve upon the foundation of '13 and open it up more and more.

upperdeck said:
maybe someday we see him in space, until then it wont really matter

He was in space on every flanker screen and has shown the ability to make one guy miss. I think he is a TE hybrid. He does not jitter bug like Estime, but he us big and has surprising wiggle for his size.

It always looks like he's not in space because he is not as quick as safeties and CB... I'd like to see him over the middle vs linebackers.

Or maybe because the guys on the other team in that clip are playing for a SUNY school. Let's face it this guy is a good athlete but has been moved around a lot and is learning a new position seemingly every year. Personally I think that by itself is pretty impressive and speaks to his athleticism and I'm looking forward to what he can do to build upon the good start to his career as a WR. He has two more years to answer the question of will he be good enough to collect a paycheck playing football. Today the answer is probably not- but he still has time. I'd like to see him moved around- slot, backfield, out wide and get some more opportunities in space to show his elusiveness. Hopefully with a full year and offseason under his belt OCGM and the offense will improve upon the foundation of '13 and open it up more and more.
I would love to see him in more of a TE role it'd be such a mismatch. I do think he needs to just stick to one position for a while though.

I would love to see him in more of a TE role it'd be such a mismatch. I do think he needs to just stick to one position for a while though.
I'm all for the coaches placing AB where he will be most productive. But...PLEASE, put him somewhere and leave him there for the remainder of his career. He'd make a killer safety or LB.

I'd say he's in the 4.8 range. He just has great wiggle, can make people miss with a quick few step burst but he'd be hard pressed to break one and out run people. He's more like mcNabb in that respect.

For a kid who came in as a QB, switched to RB and then a receiver, he is doing great. He is not used to catching the ball and running routes but he did a solid job for us this season. If he stays in that role, I would expect more see more catches, more yards, more yards after catch and some scores. I don't think we have seen all of what he can do because he is still learning. Once he is comfortable in his knowledge of what he is doing and what is going on, we will see more runs after catch like we saw on his first reception in the Minny game.

In that game, he made the catch and gritted out a first down, setting the gritty mindset of the Orange in the game. That is what I expect of him. He will use his natural abilities and tough competitiveness to get the extra yards and scores. His hands improved steadily over the year.

If he is better suited for TE, then so be it, move him there and let him settle in. If HCSS moves him to LB or DB, then do so now. He is a diamond in the rough and will play on Sundays if he does not lose focus and sticks with the moves. His attitude is infectious in a good way.

For a kid who came in as a QB, switched to RB and then a receiver, he is doing great. He is not used to catching the ball and running routes but he did a solid job for us this season. If he stays in that role, I would expect more see more catches, more yards, more yards after catch and some scores. I don't think we have seen all of what he can do because he is still learning. Once he is comfortable in his knowledge of what he is doing and what is going on, we will see more runs after catch like we saw on his first reception in the Minny game.

In that game, he made the catch and gritted out a first down, setting the gritty mindset of the Orange in the game. That is what I expect of him. He will use his natural abilities and tough competitiveness to get the extra yards and scores. His hands improved steadily over the year.

If he is better suited for TE, then so be it, move him there and let him settle in. If HCSS moves him to LB or DB, then do so now. He is a diamond in the rough and will play on Sundays if he does not lose focus and sticks with the moves. His attitude is infectious in a good way.
One role AB has the potential to excel at is downfield blocking. With high level talent coming in at WR, good downfield blocking can make the difference between a 12 yard gain and a 50 yard gain. Explosive offenses so often serve up great downfield blocking.

I don't think AB has the mindset of a defensive player. While he may physically look like a linebacker, he's just not that physical. He needs to be on offense, and he needs to be able to get the ball. The WR/TE hybrid is the perfect role for him. He is going into hi s junior year, and would not be served by being moved again. I expect he will have a great year this fall and be a major contributor on a more productive offense for SU.

I have always been a big fan of AB -- and agree the coaches have found his best role. It is more slot receiver/WR -- not so much TE.

That said, how much upside it there for Ashton, compared to what we saw this year?

Ideally, Estime continues to expand his role, Cornelius & one or more of the in-coming WRs take over Clark's role and more. West & Flemming return. We should have a better set of weapons in 2014. I expect our OC goes for balance -- meaning AB would do well to match his 2013 stats.

If he can get faster upstairs in learning what he needs to do, he might be in position more often to make a play with said speed.

I really wish he could have redshirted last year

At times he gave up on the play way to early. I think that several of the times he gave up, the result was an interception. I was at the MD game, and It sure looked like he gave up on at least 3 passes to him.

I have a problem with him, if that is true. I don't want any player on the field, if they are going to give up at any time prior to the whistle blowing the play dead. SU does not have enough of a talent advantage to allow any of the players that option.

I agree with most of everything said in this thread.

At times he gave up on the play way to early. I think that several of the times he gave up, the result was an interception. I was at the MD game, and It sure looked like he gave up on at least 3 passes to him.

I have a problem with him, if that is true. I don't want any player on the field, if they are going to give up at any time prior to the whistle blowing the play dead. SU does not have enough of a talent advantage to allow any of the players that option.

I agree in the first half of the season, he came up an a couple of routes early. He had a drop or two for the first 4 or 5 games as well. Had some problems lining up early, and struggled blocking early.

Thought he improved steadily as the year progressed. Caught the ball a lot better, blocked a lot better, ran routes much better, etc.

Thought his progress was hindered when he was asked to switch to the outside in the latter part of the seaso as WR after WR washed out or got hurt. But I thought he made a quick adjustment there as well. Also had the mini meltdown in the Texas Bowl, which I saw better watching the replay the other day.

I thought that overall he did a terrific job switching to a position he was clearly not comfortable playing early. He is probably always going to be a bit of a wild card and do some things he wishes later he didn't, but I love his raw athletic ability and most of all, his competitive fire. The kid is a winner and needs to be on the field.

I agree in the first half of the season, he came up an a couple of routes early. He had a drop or two for the first 4 or 5 games as well. Had some problems lining up early, and struggled blocking early.

Thought he improved steadily as the year progressed. Caught the ball a lot better, blocked a lot better, ran routes much better, etc.

Thought his progress was hindered when he was asked to switch to the outside in the latter part of the seaso as WR after WR washed out or got hurt. But I thought he made a quick adjustment there as well. Also had the mini meltdown in the Texas Bowl, which I saw better watching the replay the other day.

I thought that overall he did a terrific job switching to a position he was clearly not comfortable playing early. He is probably always going to be a bit of a wild card and do some things he wishes later he didn't, but I love his raw athletic ability and most of all, his competitive fire. The kid is a winner and needs to be on the field.
Your last sentence sums up AB very well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom