Fran Brown is creating... | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown is creating...

BillSU

All American
a faster football team.

When I began doing Evaluations of each Offered Player as we moved into the Fran Brown era I noticed that there was a definite increase in the number of skill position players who ran 4.5’s or below into 4.4’s and the special players who could run elite speed into the 4.3’s.

I wanted to show the board what I believe Fran Brown has in mind with his new football program as far as speed goes. The faster the better at ANY position, but especially at the skill positions of WR, DB, RB, TE, and QB.

I hope this shows what Fran has begun to do at Syracuse getting ALL players at a decent speed but some others are Fast, Very Fast and Elite and this is great for Syracuse football.

The initial list is just the first group coming in with this class and transfers, but he’s begun to add speed to the team. When you are running a 4.39 or a 4.4 you are very, very fast. A WR or RB with that kind of speed and great hands is going to catch more balls and outrun any DB for scores. I’ve been there, and it’s good to be fast - along with Floyd we were the fastest on the team. We both ran the same 9.7 100 yard dash back in the day.

I started with the new commits for 2024 and will update new players as we go through the spring and summer. I think it would be good if I kept a list of skill players so we may see the addition of speed as we move towards this football season and then add to it the next group in December.

Please add any comments you’d like. I hope I can do this for the entire team with the DL’s and OL’s added. Sometimes it is asking a lot to get a 40 time on an OL unless his speed is unique to his position and that goes for DL’s and LB’s too. The average time, height and weight for a NFL LB today is 6’2” 245, 4.5+.

The origin of timing football players for 40 yards comes from the average distance of a punt and the time it takes to reach that distance. Punts average around 40 yards in distance from the line of scrimmage, and the hang-time (time of flight) averages approximately 4.5 seconds; therefore, if a player can run 40 yards in 4.5 seconds, they will be able to leave the line of scrimmage when a punt is kicked, and reach the point where the ball comes down just as it arrives.

40 Times for all QB’s, WR’s, DB’s, RB’s for 2024/ *FAST, **VERY FAST, ***ELITE

December Signees (19)

DB Marcellus Barnes Elizabeth HS, Elizabeth, NJ – (4.39 40)***
DL Caden Brown
LB Jayden Brown
LB Fatim Diggs
DL KingJoseph Edwards
OL Willie Goodacre
DB Ta’Ron Haile Millville HS, Millville, NJ – (4.63 40)*
RB Jaden Hart, Michigan City, IN – (4.5 40)*
WR Jaylan Hornsby, Winslow Township HS, Atco, NJ – (4.4 40)**
DL Jahide Lesaine Jr
DB Braheem Long, Camden HS, Camden, NJ – (4.99 40)
OL Noah Rosahac
WR Emanuel Ross, Red Bank, HS, Red Bank, NJ – (4.7 40)*
WR Ja'Meer Thomas, Bennet HS, Buffalo, NY – (4.4 40)**
TE Jamie Tremble – (4.5 40)*
TE Elijah Washington
DL Maraad Watson
QB Jakhari Williams - (4.7 40)*
RB Yasin Willis, Montvale HS, Montvale, NJ – (4.4 40)**

February Signees (4)

OL Travis Brown-Miller
WR Malachi James, Burlington HS, Burlinton, NJ – (4.39 40)***
DB Ibn McDaniels, Elizabeth, HS Elizabeth, NJ – (4.4 40)**
OL Xavier Miles

Transfers (12)
DB Duce Chestnut [LSU], Transfer – (4.5 40)*
DL Fadil Diggs [Texas A&M]
DB Devin Grant [UBuffalo] Transfer – (4.65 40)*
DL Isaiah Hastings [Alabama}
WR Zeed Haynes [Georgia] Transfer – (4.39 40) ***
LB James Heard [WVU]
QB Kyle McCord {Ohio St]
OL Josh Miller [Georgia]
WR Jackson Meeks [Georgia] Transfer – (4.59 40)*
DL Michael Nwokocha [JUCO]
OL Da’Metrius Weatherspoon [Howard]
DL Dion Wilson [New Mex St]

TIMES PER ABOVE:

July 2024 Enrollees

Emanuel Ross - WR (4.7 40)*

Red Bank, NJ - Red Bank Catholic HS

Jaylan Hornsby - WR (4.4 40)**
Atco, NJ - Winslow Township HS

Willie Goodacre - OT
Denton, TX - Guyer HS

Jamie Tremble - TE (4.5 40)*

Norcross, GA - Wesleyan School

Xavier Miles - OL/DL
Jersey City, NJ - St. Peter’s Prep

Jayden Brown - LB (4.5)*
Ramsey, NJ - Don Bosco Prep

Elijah Washington - TE
Norfolk, VA - Lake Taylor HS

Ja’Meer Thomas - WR ( 4.4 40)**
Buffalo, NY - Bennett High School

Malachi James - ATH (4.39 40)***
Burlington, NJ - Burlington City High School

Ibn McDaniels - DB (4.4 40)**
Elizabeth, NJ - Elizabeth High School

I hope Fran keeps getting faster and better players as he has started to do quickly so Syracuse can become one of the best teams in the country. ;)

a faster football team.

When I began doing Evaluations of each Offered Player as we moved into the Fran Brown era I noticed that there was a definite increase in the number of skill position players who ran 4.5’s or below into 4.4’s and the special players who could run elite speed into the 4.3’s.

I wanted to show the board what I believe Fran Brown has in mind with his new football program as far as speed goes. The faster the better at ANY position, but especially at the skill positions of WR, DB, RB, TE, and QB.

I hope this shows what Fran has begun to do at Syracuse getting ALL players at a decent speed but some others are Fast, Very Fast and Elite and this is great for Syracuse football.

The initial list is just the first group coming in with this class and transfers, but he’s begun to add speed to the team. When you are running a 4.39 or a 4.4 you are very, very fast. A WR or RB with that kind of speed and great hands is going to catch more balls and outrun any DB for scores. I’ve been there, and it’s good to be fast - along with Floyd we were the fastest on the team. We both ran the same 9.7 100 yard dash back in the day.

I started with the new commits for 2024 and will update new players as we go through the spring and summer. I think it would be good if I kept a list of skill players so we may see the addition of speed as we move towards this football season and then add to it the next group in December.

Please add any comments you’d like. I hope I can do this for the entire team with the DL’s and OL’s added. Sometimes it is asking a lot to get a 40 time on an OL unless his speed is unique to his position and that goes for DL’s and LB’s too. The average time, height and weight for a NFL LB today is 6’2” 245, 4.5+.

The origin of timing football players for 40 yards comes from the average distance of a punt and the time it takes to reach that distance. Punts average around 40 yards in distance from the line of scrimmage, and the hang-time (time of flight) averages approximately 4.5 seconds; therefore, if a player can run 40 yards in 4.5 seconds, they will be able to leave the line of scrimmage when a punt is kicked, and reach the point where the ball comes down just as it arrives.

December Signees (19)

DL Caden Brown
LB Jayden Brown
LB Fatim Diggs
DL KingJoseph Edwards
OL Willie Goodacre
DL Jahide Lesaine Jr
OL Noah Rosahac
TE Elijah Washington
DL Maraad Watson

February Signees (4)

OL Travis Brown-Miller
OL Xavier Miles

Transfers (12)
LB James Heard [WVU]
QB Kyle McCord {Ohio St]
OL Josh Miller [Georgia]

TIMES PER ABOVE:

July 2024 Enrollees

Willie Goodacre - OT
Denton, TX - Guyer HS

Xavier Miles - OL/DL

Jayden Brown - LB (4.5)*

Elijah Washington - TE

I hope Fran keeps getting faster and better players as he has started to do quickly so Syracuse can become one of the best teams in the country. ;)

Great post! Thanks for collating the info. Can't help but feel excited. Coach Brown continues to remind me of the Coach P days. Although there were many reasons for SU's rise to prominence during his and Coach Mac's tenure, I recall him emphasizing speed.
That and being "multiple."

Back in the 90s, I remember a lot of non-conference teams like Florida, Wisconsin, & Tennessee commenting after the games they didn’t expect the speed they saw from Syracuse. The way the game has evolved, speed is more critical than it was 20-30 years ago - getting back to where we were then speed-wise is likely critical to sustainable success.

Speed is a very important factor in
IMG_4491.gif

Speed on all exterior positions.

WR
CB
Edge
size and strength on the interior are a winning formula.

a faster football team.

December Signees (19)

DL Caden Brown
LB Jayden Brown
LB Fatim Diggs
DL KingJoseph Edwards
OL Willie Goodacre
DL Jahide Lesaine Jr
OL Noah Rosahac
TE Elijah Washington
DL Maraad Watson

February Signees (4)

OL Travis Brown-Miller
OL Xavier Miles

Transfers (12)
LB James Heard [WVU]
QB Kyle McCord {Ohio St]
OL Josh Miller [Georgia]

TIMES PER ABOVE:

July 2024 Enrollees

Willie Goodacre - OT
Denton, TX - Guyer HS

Xavier Miles - OL/DL

Jayden Brown - LB (4.5)*

Elijah Washington - TE

Wow what an amazing analysis!! Thank you!

I expect improvement but am dismayed that we are only picked to win half of our games. Hoping Coach brown can get the guys to take that as even more motivation, I would love to be a 10 win team and beat the tar out of an SEC foe in a bowl game so we can give that jerk, Paul Feinbaum a stroke.

Great post. I love speed, but the big weakness last year was against teams that could bully our D. That’s a big part of the difference in getting four star guys, they have both speed and strength, particularly for d players.

I expect improvement but am dismayed that we are only picked to win half of our games. Hoping Coach brown can get the guys to take that as even more motivation, I would love to be a 10 win team and beat the tar out of an SEC foe in a bowl game so we can give that jerk, Paul Feinbaum a stroke.

Paul is an AI and has been loaded with ChatSEC, he can't have a stroke.

Last edited:
forgive my speed ignorance...is that mediocre for early 2000s? He seemed unseemly fast on the old carrier dome turf on kick off returns.
He was definitely fast - he would have stuck on Carolina’s roster as a 7th rounder if not for the injuries. They actually kept him around for 3 years even with his chronic injuries because they liked his upside.

Not to discredit the entire post, but isn't there an enormous variance with how 40 times are measured? And aren't most of these self reported? If you're a HS coach trying to get your kid offers, does it benefit you to give their "real" time? Outside of the track kids, I'm a skeptic.

I'd also argue acceleration, change of direction, and reading the game are more important attributes than straight line speed.

Either way, we can agree we're getting a higher quality of athlete under Fran. That part is indisputable.

Not to discredit the entire post, but isn't there an enormous variance with how 40 times are measured? And aren't most of these self reported? If you're a HS coach trying to get your kid offers, does it benefit you to give their "real" time? Outside of the track kids, I'm a skeptic.

I'd also argue acceleration, change of direction, and reading the game are more important attributes than straight line speed.

Either way, we can agree we're getting a higher quality of athlete under Fran. That part is indisputable.
Case in point.

Hunter Renfro (4.59 40)

Last edited:

I'm with you on that. At those speed levels, I am a skeptic on anything that isn't electronically timed. Even if you assume honesty and transparency, the reaction speed of a human just makes the variables too great otherwise.

To me it gives a ballpark on the speed of a player, but to say someone is just faster because they got a 4.44 vs a 4.49 with hand timing is just speculation.

I’m all for speed. No doubt it makes a huge difference.

But if I’m HCFB, I’m looking for guys who have the “it” factor. I know we have discussed the intangible nature of that on this board ad nauseam. Still, I don’t see how it can be discounted.

And I’m looking for guys who will simply outwork other guys. Let’s face it, all these guys have god-given talent. But at the high college level, and even more so in the Pros, players succeed because they just put in more quality work and preparation.

It’s not football, I know, but I always think of Jason Hart in basketball. That kid was a very good SU player. But we’ve had lots of good players, many better PGs than Hart. But he gets to the NBA and just committed himself to outwork, and out-train everybody. He parlayed that ethic into a 10-year journeyman pro career. He’s basically the model for commitment to competing.

Anyway, good stuff on the speed analysis. I love the success FB has had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom