Brutal last 1:32 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Brutal last 1:32

Christine will go as far as JB alIows Cooney to carry it. By that I mean Cooney has to get some run in both halfs and be allowed to play. You can't have one three point threat on the floor.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

And you can't afford to have more turnovers, either.

I agree that they were gassed but do you really think Trevor can keep up with Siva, Smith, Ware and Hancock? I think JB went with the guys that gave us the best chance to win, gassed or not. We are nowhere near as deep as 'Ville at the guard position.
We're coming off two games against teams with similar talent where we folded down the stretch. At some point you adjust and try the alternative. It's not that our guys just aren't able to make the superlative plays, it's that they can't inbound or dribble without turning it over.

And while we're at it, if we know these are the guys who will be playing no matter what, we need to take a chance earlier when we're on a run and up by 4 or so to press and try to make that lead into 10.

Of course you can. But when Cooney turned the ball over in the last 10 minutes and the game wasn't close at the end, the crying here would be why did he play Cooney?

Gee, I guess will never know because he never got a chance. Did he now?

Didn't help that 4 of our guys hadn't subbed in the half. We were two steps slow at the end.

So they were gassed when we came back from 47-40 to take the lead 48-47?

Fatigue had nothing to do with it. Bad decision making did. You are not fatigued on an inbounds play.

So they werent gassed when we came back from 47-40 to take the lead 48-47?

Fatigue had nothing to do with it.

Then what did? The run was two MCW shots and four free throws. Just asking...

just an awful shot by MCW, maybe we should've called a TO. MCW just took the first shot that was there. There was plenty of time to score a 2, or work for a better 3.

Then what did? The run was two MCW shots and four free throws. Just asking...

CJ made the shot to go up 48-47 first of all.

What did was just a bad inbounds play., That triggered everything. So if we had a fresh player inbounding the ball it would have been a better result?

Come on

His point is that some people, when gassed, are still better than the sub that could take their place.
That's not true btw! A fresh bench player on this team is better than any gassed starter. Where do people come up with this stuff? It's the JB is right at all cost groupies! JB has lost many games because of player fatigue. that's my biggest gripe with him.

So say you.

You don't know how physically bushed Triche was. Boeheim is on the side lines. The assistants see him every day in practicce.

More Cooney wasn't the answer.
Cooney is beside the point. Whoever the sub is, is arbitrary. You just need to put SOMEONE in there to keep your starters fresh. Just give them a minute or two break midway through the second half so they can finish strong down the stretch.

What did was just a bad inbounds play., That triggered everything. So if we had a fresh player inbounding the ball it would have been a better result?

Come on

If we're thinking of the same play, MCW was somewhat nonchalant in his effort to go after the pass. Maybe he was tired...

BTW, how many turnovers did the team have on inbounds plays today?

Cooney is beside the point. Whoever the sub is, is arbitrary. You just need to put SOMEONE in there to keep your starters fresh. Just give them a minute or two break midway through the second half so they can finish strong down the stretch.
That's correct but don't second guess JB!

Come on
Separation on inbound plays was a problem the last 10 minutes. Fatigue could certainly be a factor. Actually, kudos to Pitino here. In game 1 he pressed early and we adjusted. In today's game, he didn't press until the 2nd half when we were wearing down. Worked fantastically for him.

If we're thinking of the same play, MCW was somewhat nonchalant in his effort to go after the pass. Maybe he was tired...

BTW, how many turnovers did the team have on inbounds plays today?

I counted 4 at least

It's a strategy that some coaches use. Who knows if it makes a difference or not, without something more than a feeling that it makes sense that resting players so they are fresh at the end of the game, means you will win more games. One thing for sure though, JB is adamant that young players can run all day. He preaches it whenever the question comes up and has coached that way pretty much his entire career. I'm guessing, it's not going to change. Definitely not this year anyway.

Come on
Marsh...my point is that our only two guards need a blow...each half.

Yeah. There was a dead ball at exactly 12 min left in the second half, I thought this would have been a good place to put Cooney in for one of the guards; give them until the next whistle plus the media timeout.

Marsh...my point is that our only two guards need a blow...each half.

I disagree. There are 4 TV timeouts and each team had called almost all of their timeouts. There are plenty of rest minutes in todays college game. Plus we were off for 4 days between games.

Not giving you a hard time but I am not buying that is the reason for our collapse.

It's a strategy that some coaches use. Who knows if it makes a difference or not, without something more than a feeling that it makes sense that resting players so they are fresh at the end of the game, means you will win more games. One thing for sure though, JB is adamant that young players can run all day. He preaches it whenever the question comes up and has coached that way pretty much his entire career. I'm guessing, it's not going to change. Definitely not this year anyway.

I get the logic behind his frequent example. Boeheim says that 40 minutes of Billy Owens is better than 35 of Owens + 5 of the guy behind him.

Be that as it may, that doesn't make it necessarily the case that (38 minutes of Triche + 2 minutes of Cooney) is better than (30 minutes of Triche + 10 minutes of Cooney). And that's just comparing what each has done on the court this week. The argument for Cooney is more compelling when player development and comfort level improvements are factored in.

Never expected the leopard to change his spots, but the handling of the bench has been disappointing this season. Now we're looking at the worst of both worlds: a record that doesn't reflect the fact that we rode our starters and a bench that's gotten too little game experience.

I disagree. There are 4 TV timeouts and each team had called almost all of their timeouts. There are plenty of rest minutes in todays college game. Plus we were off for 4 days between games.

Not giving you a hard time but I am not buying that is the reason for our collapse.

I don't know if it's the reason for the collapse or not.

But both teams are working with the same stoppages. When one coach uses them strategically to give players a rest and the other coach doesn't, one team is at an advantage.

Then what is?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom