Bryce and Manny... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Bryce and Manny...

I am the biggest A-Rod apologist there is (yes, we do exist), but he had plenty of protection in the line-up. Depending on the year, it was some combination of Sheffield, Matsui, Giambi, Abreu, Posada, etc. Those line-ups were stacked.

Of course, A-Rod’s bat wasn’t the only one that went silent in the post season.
Yeah. I’m not a fan or not. It’s just baseball is different. The defense controls the ball.

The Pujols contract is universally panned as stupid.
A-Rod’s contract was dumb and nobody but the Yankees give it to him in 2007. His MVP that year got him the deal.
Harper was 26 and will be signed thru 39.

Baseball teams aren’t giving stupid contracts anymore.
Nolan Arenado just signed thru his age 36.
Trout already got a huge deal. He isn’t going to get a 8-10 year contract when he will be 30 entering FA.
He will get a huge AAV with a 6-7 year contract.
artie moreno will put a 12/400 extension on the table this year

Did Manny Machado Get A Better Contract Than Bryce Harper?

"Arenado’s contract is worth the same as a 10-year deal for $280 million. Arenado’s taxes are going to be less than Harper’s are in Philadlephia (assuming rates stay the same), and that might add a few million to the valuation. In addition, Arenado has an opt-out after 2021 in his contract. While he will be the same age as Machado when he opts out, and he has more money owed to him ($164 million), there’s an argument to make that Arenado’s opt-out clause is more valuable than Machado’s. Between the two players, because Arenado’s opt-out comes first, he’s more likely to be playing at a level similar to his current performance and thus more likely to receive another massive payday. How much more is open to interpretation, but putting a $20 million valuation on it would make Arenado’s deal just as valuable as the contracts just signed by Harper and Machado. All three players signed huge contracts with different dollar figures attached, but in terms of value, there’s an argument to be made that all three are worth the exact same thing."

artie moreno will put a 12/400 extension on the table this year
not on the table yet, but floating it now and a little richer than i had thought

this proposed extension would pick up after his current deal runs out, so add 10/350 to 2/66.5 and you get 12/416.5

The Pujols contract is universally panned as stupid.
A-Rod’s contract was dumb and nobody but the Yankees give it to him in 2007. His MVP that year got him the deal.
Harper was 26 and will be signed thru 39.

Baseball teams aren’t giving stupid contracts anymore.
Nolan Arenado just signed thru his age 36.
Trout already got a huge deal. He isn’t going to get a 8-10 year contract when he will be 30 entering FA.
He will get a huge AAV with a 6-7 year contract.

Trout can decide whatever he wants. If he wants 10 then he'll get 10. Shorter contracts may apply to FA in general but there is 0 evidence to support you at all that it applies to the elite guys. In the past week Machado got 10, Arenado got 8+1, Bryce got 13. But you think Trout will be forced to accept 7? Not unless thats what he wants to do and thats unlikely.

Rules don't apply at that level of star player.

California is so happy today

Helps explain why philly signed Harper, they knew this was coming.
After taxes Trout will make 17 million dollars per year.
Harper will make 14 million.

It’s insane how much they lose to taxes.

After taxes Trout will make 17 million dollars per year.
Harper will make 14 million.

It’s insane how much they lose to taxes.

I pretty much refuse to live somewhere with state income tax now. After spending most of my life in NY and CA. Living in FL the past few years made me realize how ridiculous that is. Next move is to TX in a few months, wife was pushing for DC but not interested in being a poor.

Age matters. If Trout was becoming a FA at 26 he gets 12/13 yrs over 400 million.
He already got 144 million to buy out two of his FA years. It was smart for him and the Angels.
FA now is about your age becoming a FA to determine the years you will get.
Teams are using analytics to realize paying for years over 36 is stupid.
Harper got 13-330 to specifically beat Stanton.
He turned down an AAV of 30 million from the Nationals 10-300 offer for 25.4 for the Phillies offer.
Trout isn’t going to get the years. He is more likely to get closer to an AAV of 40 million per season than a 10 year 350 million dollar contract.

Trout blew Harper's contract out of the water.

Scott Boras really led Harper down a rabbit hole.

Boras is telling him now, don't worry, I got you 13 years, he only got 12, and to stop focusing on the extra ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS.

Scott Boras really led Harper down a rabbit hole.

Not sure what that means, Bryce did quite well for someone whose name is a lot bigger than their production. Khris Davis put up the same stats while actually not being a big time negative in the field.

Boras is telling him now, don't worry, I got you 13 years, he only got 12, and to stop focusing on the extra ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS.

I don't even know how the 2 are even comparable as baseball players. Even Bryce has to know that he's not close to Trout.

Not sure what that means, Bryce did quite well for someone whose name is a lot bigger than their production. Khris Davis put up the same stats while actually not being a big time negative in the field.

Bryce went through the last couple of seasons acting like the Dodgers, Yankees, and Cubs would be tripping and bidding over each other for his services. And Boras HAD TO break the Stanton record (like anyone outside of those two care). As someone who's followed him closely I don't get the impression that he went into free agency to have the Phillies bid against themselves for his game.

Bryce went through the last couple of seasons acting like the Dodgers, Yankees, and Cubs would be tripping and bidding over each other for his services. And Boras HAD TO break the Stanton record (like anyone outside of those two care). As someone who's followed him closely I don't get the impression that he went into free agency to have the Phillies bid against themselves for his game.

Phillies were always the most likely outcome. Cubs have no money to spend, the Dodgers won't give out long, dumb deals under Friedman's watch and the Yanks corner OF spots are clogged up for at least another half decade.

Phillies were always the most likely outcome. Cubs have no money to spend, the Dodgers won't give out long, dumb deals under Friedman's watch and the Yanks corner OF spots are clogged up for at least another half decade.

A few years ago, Harper thought he could potentially be the first $400M man. He and Boras weren't shy about saying it publicly.

Once the Yankees grabbed Stanton last year, all that was left for him to do was beat the Stanton contract. Which he held out for. His production drop didn't help him either.

I think he knew Trout would get a bigger deal, but I don't think he thought his record would only stand 19 days.

And you probably don't charge Boras rates! The winter meetings had all the guys on the MLB Network saying Bryce to LA. There was always whispers that had the Cubs asking for the last bid, it was all a farce.

And you probably don't charge Boras rates! The winter meetings had all the guys on the MLB Network saying Bryce to LA. There was always whispers that had the Cubs asking for the last bid, it was all a farce.

Yeah that's The Boras Agency pushing those things out there to try to drum up business. Dodgers were never going to go long term. They were way more likely to do 4 years at 40m then go anywhere near 10 at 30. Friedman came from the Rays and won't let them do any of those dumb deals. He'll gladly take Pollock and hope he stays healthy for a couple years and will likely produce similar WAR as Bryce over his deal. Cubs are stuck because they have no room or money. That Heyward deal is killing them and they have some huge decisions to make over the next few years.

Yeah that's The Boras Agency pushing those things out there to try to drum up business. Dodgers were never going to go long term. They were way more likely to do 4 years at 40m then go anywhere near 10 at 30. Friedman came from the Rays and won't let them do any of those dumb deals. He'll gladly take Pollock and hope he stays healthy for a couple years and will likely produce similar WAR as Bryce over his deal. Cubs are stuck because they have no room or money. That Heyward deal is killing them and they have some huge decisions to make over the next few years.

My annoyance with the whole thing is that Boras should know the market well enough for his guys before they enter FA. Bryce now is making 3 million more a year before taxes than he made last year. Doubt that was the end result they wanted.

My annoyance with the whole thing is that Boras should know the market well enough for his guys before they enter FA. Bryce now is making 3 million more a year before taxes than he made last year. Doubt that was the end result they wanted.

Depends on how it ended up being structured. The end game was that he's still going to be getting paid $20m a year more than he's worth in 2030.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom