Bryce and Manny... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Bryce and Manny...

Stats are fine. Rings are better. If you can't perform in the postseason then the stats don't matter all that much unless you're focused on fantasy.
all that really matters is if you're putting asses in the seats

Stats are fine. Rings are better. If you can't perform in the postseason then the stats don't matter all that much unless you're focused on fantasy.
Except in baseball, more than any sport, you can stop one guy from beating you, simply by the way you pitch to him.

all that really matters is if you're putting asses in the seats

Fair point. Those NYY teams had no problem with that prior to ARod's arrival.

Except in baseball, more than any sport, you can stop one guy from beating you, simply by the way you pitch to him.

I think that's true. In the postseason opposing pitchers went right after ARod and got him out.

I don’t share your ring-centric view of sports. I’ll take Kershaw over Bumgarner too.

I agree it's not all about rings. But if you're paying a guy $252 million over 10 years then you expect more in the postseason. Does that sound unreasonable to you?

I agree it's not all about rings. But if you're paying a guy $252 million over 10 years then you expect more in the postseason. Does that sound unreasonable to you?
I told you that I’m satisfied with his 51.7 WAR during that time period. You’re not. I get it.

I told you that I’m satisfied with his 51.7 WAR during that time period. You’re not. I get it.

I'm happy you're satisfied and I'll give you the last word. This discussion went far afield from it's origins.

I think that's true. In the postseason opposing pitchers went right after ARod and got him out.
No. It didn't get anything to hit. Then he got frustrated and chased, and got himself out.

No. It didn't get anything to hit. Then he got frustrated and chased, and got himself out.

Not my recollection (he left a ton of runners on base) but even if that's true why try to be the hero? Take the walk and move on. Yanks had plenty of other hitters in the lineup.

Not my recollection (he left a ton of runners on base) but even if that's true why try to be the hero? Take the walk and move on. Yanks had plenty of other hitters in the lineup.
Not being paid for walks. Expectations can be tough

Not being paid for walks. Expectations can be tough

That's what made Ortiz and Ramirez so dangerous in the clutch. They wouldn't get themselves out and would take the walk if they had to. Ultimately it led to seeing better pitches because pitchers knew they wouldn't chase.

Bryce to Philly - 13 for $330. Basically gets the 10/300 that Manny got with an added 3/30 for ages 36-39.

Bryce to Philly - 13 for $330. Basically gets the 10/300 that Manny got with an added 3/30 for ages 36-39.
Not sure about the math. Looks like average of about 25 million and change per year

Edit: Never mind, I get what you're saying now 300 million for the first 10 years and 30 million for the last 3, when he's wheelchair bound.

Last edited:
It’s clear all that Harper cares about was topping the Stanton contract and he did.
13-325 for Stanton and Harper got 13-330 million.

I can’t see any way where this ends well.

With a 10 year contract, I’d be worried that the last 3-4 years will be dicey. Here, worst case scenario, you could be looking at 7-8 years where he’s a waste of money?

I’d be concerned about his personality in Philly too. He seems like a douche. I predict by the time he’s 32-33, they’ll want to run him out of town.

That's what made Ortiz and Ramirez so dangerous in the clutch. They wouldn't get themselves out and would take the walk if they had to. Ultimately it led to seeing better pitches because pitchers knew they wouldn't chase.
Without looking at lineups, I think they had better protection in the line up. Plus, they never had the scrutiny that Arod had.

I feel like they were bidding against themselves these last few days. Boras knew the Phils were desparate, and found a couple of willing co-conspirators to bid them up.

Having said that, the Phils have only won a couple of WS. At my age, I'd be thankful for one or two more, and this deal makes it more likely that it will happen.

He was perfect for DC, the guy could be batting with a full count and runner on 3rd, 2 outs, swing at a pitch over his head after sailing a throw into the crowd the previous inning - and the 33K in the stadium would be more concerned with the craft beer selections.

I feel like they were bidding against themselves these last few days. Boras knew the Phils were desparate, and found a couple of willing co-conspirators to bid them up.

Having said that, the Phils have only won a couple of WS. At my age, I'd be thankful for one or two more, and this deal makes it more likely that it will happen.

They seemed hellbent on getting that biggest contract ever thing, and probably expected it would be a lot easier to get from the Yankees, Dodgers, or Cubs. But nope.

Trout will top it as soon as he’s on the market anyway, so not sure why they were so hung up on that.

Philly should be very good next year at least. Really hard to win it all, so if they do win one at some point you’d have to say it was worth it.

They seemed hellbent on getting that biggest contract ever thing, and probably expected it would be a lot easier to get from the Yankees, Dodgers, or Cubs. But nope.

Trout will top it as soon as he’s on the market anyway, so not sure why they were so hung up on that.

Philly should be very good next year at least. Really hard to win it all, so if they do win one at some point you’d have to say it was worth it.
this contract will never be worth it. 13 years?

Without looking at lineups, I think they had better protection in the line up. Plus, they never had the scrutiny that Arod had.
I am the biggest A-Rod apologist there is (yes, we do exist), but he had plenty of protection in the line-up. Depending on the year, it was some combination of Sheffield, Matsui, Giambi, Abreu, Posada, etc. Those line-ups were stacked.

Of course, A-Rod’s bat wasn’t the only one that went silent in the post season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom