BSC - Back to the Future? | Syracusefan.com

BSC - Back to the Future?

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
I have two thoughts about the BCS resolution.

First, once again, I can't wait to join the ACC!!!!!

Lets get this done!

I want to play Ga Tech, Clemson, FSU, NC, NC State, Va Tech, UVA, BC and the rest now!!!

This is the next phase of the historic SU Football Tradition - we are going to have fun and we are going to have success. And I can't wait for it to begin.

Second, it may not seem that way, but I think the new BCS plan is in some ways a return to the past.

Why? I think this was discussed a few days ago.

Everybody now has a theoretical chance to win the NC - even teams that do not play in the old five BCS conferences.

So, teams like BYU that have won in the past but had no chance under the present system, will now have a chance again.

And that chance will depenend in large part upon the strength of schedule - just like it did when the pollsters annonited the NC.

So, though there will be play-offs, more teams will have a chance and that is what we used to have.

I like the new system.

The new system is a good start. 4 teams is better than 2. 4 is not enough, however, and 16 is too many.
There will undoubtedly be a few snubs in the first few years that will make it clear to all that 8 is the answer.

Some evening out of the SEC elite (let them all have 1 or 2 conference losses) coupled with some OOC losses for those elite would be just the ticket. :)

I have two thoughts about the BCS resolution.

First, once again, I can't wait to join the ACC!!!!!

Lets get this done!

I want to play Ga Tech, Clemson, FSU, NC, NC State, Va Tech, UVA, BC and the rest now!!!

This is the next phase of the historic SU Football Tradition - we are going to have fun and we are going to have success. And I can't wait for it to begin.

Second, it may not seem that way, but I think the new BCS plan is in some ways a return to the past.

Why? I think this was discussed a few days ago.

Everybody now has a theoretical chance to win the NC - even teams that do not play in the old five BCS conferences.

So, teams like BYU that have won in the past but had no chance under the present system, will now have a chance again.

And that chance will depenend in large part upon the strength of schedule - just like it did when the pollsters annonited the NC.

So, though there will be play-offs, more teams will have a chance and that is what we used to have.

I like the new system.

The difference between the new and old is the selection committee. Polls will not dictate the NC match-up. Having a selection committee will add some bit of logic to the process. Teams that go undefeated will have a better chance to unseat a one loss SEC or Big12 team. Not saying it will happen, but they will have a better chance than they did with polls only.

This isn't true at all. In fact, just the opposite.

Under the BCS system, every team did have a theoretical chance to win the national championship. It was just extremely difficult.

Now that a committee that will be biased toward the powerhouse programs is in charge of choosing the participants as opposed to a much less partial formula, there is now less of a chance for the less prestigious schools to participate in the playoff and compete for the national title.

It was nearly impossible for the little guy to have a chance at the national title under the previous (current) system. Under the playoff system, it will be just as difficult if not more so.

A lot of things are going to depend on who is on the selection committee and how they're appointed. The devil is in the detail.

This isn't true at all. In fact, just the opposite.

Under the BCS system, every team did have a theoretical chance to win the national championship. It was just extremely difficult.

Now that a committee that will be biased toward the powerhouse programs is in charge of choosing the participants as opposed to a much less partial formula, there is now less of a chance for the less prestigious schools to participate in the playoff and compete for the national title.

It was nearly impossible for the little guy to have a chance at the national title under the previous (current) system. Under the playoff system, it will be just as difficult if not more so.

I think you're wrong.

There will now be more teams participating in the "play-offs" if that's right word.

Under the present (old) system, only two teams make the play-offs i,e. the NC game.

So, a team like BYU, that has a great season, has a shot now of getting into the play-offs with the added slots available.

It was always difficult for a team like BYU to win the NC - when the polls decided - but that possibility effectively ended once the BCS system was adopted.

The new system will once again give those kinds of teams a chance - and it will be based upon a review of that team's strength of schedule. The chance will not be easy - just like it was not easy in the old days.

The notion that it will now be more difficult than under the present system is inaccurate in my judgement.

I agree that the new system creates more opportunity for the "Little Guy" to play for the NC. Not much more of a chance, but more of a chance. They need to be one of 4 rather than one of 2. And then, of course, they need to win.

TGD looks like a visionary...these MetLife games will help build our SoS if/when we get into the top 10...our little brothers are starting to realize this in Storz and Jersey Shore. Cuse has a window now to grow and leave them in the dust.

The difference between the new and old is the selection committee. Polls will not dictate the NC match-up. Having a selection committee will add some bit of logic to the process. Teams that go undefeated will have a better chance to unseat a one loss SEC or Big12 team. Not saying it will happen, but they will have a better chance than they did with polls only.

An undefeated team, especially from the weaker of the Big 5 (Pac and ACC as of now), will absolutely get in before a 1 loss SEC team.

People forget that not too long ago a 1 loss WVU only had to beat a 4 win Pitt to get to the BCS title game.

The SOS component will have greater value now. Too many voters give the SEC a pass when they don't play an OOC schedule worth a $5 nosebleed ticket. Maybe Florida can play a real OOC game, possibly even one out of state! Last time they played an OOC game outside Florida they got their gator butts kicked out of the Dome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom