Bubble Watch - Selection Sunday (Sit and Wait) | Syracusefan.com

Bubble Watch - Selection Sunday (Sit and Wait)

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
17 days ago John Gillon hit the spectacular buzzer beater to beat Duke. At that time there was a lot of optomism on the board. We felt great about our tourney chances. Many thought we were in if we just win one game against Georgia Tech or had very good chances. I was a little more reserved at 50/50. Just being cautious but I thought it could be up to 80% in 10 days time if things went right by the time we played Tech.

4 days later we played at Louisville. We predictably lost. This was not a problem. We would have to wait another 6 days to play Georgia Tech.

But in those 10 days between Duke and Georgia Tech the bubble seemed to take their head out of their collective asses. Vanderbilt made a sudden move up. Wake Forest made a big move with 2 top wins in the last week(Louisville and at Virginia Tech). Providence, Seton Hall and Marquette all seemed to benefit from some weakness from Creighton, Xavier and Butler, which made the Big East a 7 team league instead of a 5 ir 6 team league . Illinois started to make a serious move.

By the time we played at 4:00 on Saturday afternoon things had changed for the worse. A week earlier I had hoped to say this win would likely do it. But too much had happened. Either way it was a must win game. And we did what we needed to do in convincing fashion.

We had some good news on the last Sunday of the season when Illinois St lost to Wichita St. So we entered the tournament as the 2nd last team in on the bubble matrix. Very uncertain, but we could really use that game against Miami.

And we lost that game to Miami. Things are going to have to go good this week. And on Wednesday and Thursday things did not go well. We could have use some teams having a bad loss. But none did. Instead Xavier got a big win. And teams like TCU, Georgia, Cal, and Indiana all moved forward. And then to finish the day on Thursday Kansas St beat Baylor. We were now the last team in. And there was a number of new potential chasers. Some posters wanted to call things over on Thursday.

But it was not over. We were just hanging by a string. And then everything went very good on Friday. All the challengers behind us faded. Kansas St could not follow up the Baylor win. USC could not get a big win. The bubble busters stayed intact. Things were looking up as we entered today.

Today was all about avoiding bubble busters. And we got all we needed - Nevada won, Middle Tenn St won, the AAC went as planned. We may have avoided the entire tournament season without one bubble buster. And that is exactly what we needed after Thursday.

So 17 days later after that John Gillon shot, we are still in the same position in my view. I would say still at around 50/50.

Not much of a schedule for tomorrow. There is one game - Rhode Island vs VCU and as was debated today it's not clear who is the better team to lose.

It's now pretty simple. The bubble is pretty much done.

7 teams. 5 spots

VCU/Rhode Island loser
Wake Forest
Syracuse
USC
Kansas St
Illinois St
Providence (or other BET team)

I don't view Illinois St as a serious contender but as they still have about 25% on the matrix I think they should be included.

So Sunday is not a day for much watching. Just waiting.

Go Orange.

I know you have to include as part of that 7-team group, it's prudent to do so - but I'm not convinced at all that the loser of vcu/RI will get in - like I would probably move that team to #6 in the pecking order, just barely above Ill St

I'm a huge golf fan, and in particular a supporter of Canadian golfers on tour. So that will take my attention as I wait tomorrow.

Adam Hadwin has a 4 shot lead going into the last day of the event. It would be nice to see him win.

Patrick Cantlay winning would be a great comeback story. He's been through the ringer. And Wesley Bryan just needs to string together 4 rounds to break through. He's been real close since earning the immediate promotion from the Web.com tour. Once he wins, he could be another Justin Thomas.

Cue the trick shot videos...

and Palm still has Cal/georgia/Iowa ahead of SU. USC in easily. SU not even in the final 8?

after a complete re evaluation of the entire field i kept coming back to usc vs at large rhode island vs Kansas State for 2 last slots in Dayton and currently i have rhode island ahead barely based on non conference over both. I am going to sleep on K State Vs USC until tommorrow.

last 6 in:
Xavier
Wake Forest
Providence vs Syracuse
Rhode Island Vs Kansas State or Usc

If vcu loses to Rhode Island tommorrow end up in my field as the first member of the play in round.

last 6 in if Rhode Island beats VCu taking AQ bid:
Xavier
Wake Forest
VCU VS Kansas State or Usc
Providence vs Syracuse

Last edited:
17 days ago John Gillon hit the spectacular buzzer beater to beat Duke. At that time there was a lot of optomism on the board. We felt great about our tourney chances. Many thought we were in if we just win one game against Georgia Tech or had very good chances. I was a little more reserved at 50/50. Just being cautious but I thought it could be up to 80% in 10 days time if things went right by the time we played Tech.

4 days later we played at Louisville. We predictably lost. This was not a problem. We would have to wait another 6 days to play Georgia Tech.

But in those 10 days between Duke and Georgia Tech the bubble seemed to take their head out of their collective asses. Vanderbilt made a sudden move up. Wake Forest made a big move with 2 top wins in the last week(Louisville and at Virginia Tech). Providence, Seton Hall and Marquette all seemed to benefit from some weakness from Creighton, Xavier and Butler, which made the Big East a 7 team league instead of a 5 ir 6 team league . Illinois started to make a serious move.

By the time we played at 4:00 on Saturday afternoon things had changed for the worse. A week earlier I had hoped to say this win would likely do it. But too much had happened. Either way it was a must win game. And we did what we needed to do in convincing fashion.

We had some good news on the last Sunday of the season when Illinois St lost to Wichita St. So we entered the tournament as the 2nd last team in on the bubble matrix. Very uncertain, but we could really use that game against Miami.

And we lost that game to Miami. Things are going to have to go good this week. And on Wednesday and Thursday things did not go well. We could have use some teams having a bad loss. But none did. Instead Xavier got a big win. And teams like TCU, Georgia, Cal, and Indiana all moved forward. And then to finish the day on Thursday Kansas St beat Baylor. We were now the last team in. And there was a number of new potential chasers. Some posters wanted to call things over on Thursday.

But it was not over. We were just hanging by a string. And then everything went very good on Friday. All the challengers behind us faded. Kansas St could not follow up the Baylor win. USC could not get a big win. The bubble busters stayed intact. Things were looking up as we entered today.

Today was all about avoiding bubble busters. And we got all we needed - Nevada won, Middle Tenn St won, the AAC went as planned. We may have avoided the entire tournament season without one bubble buster. And that is exactly what we needed after Thursday.

So 17 days later after that John Gillon shot, we are still in the same position in my view. I would say still at around 50/50.

Not much of a schedule for tomorrow. There is one game - Rhode Island vs VCU and as was debated today it's not clear who is the better team to lose.

It's now pretty simple. The bubble is pretty much done.

7 teams. 5 spots

VCU/Rhode Island loser
Wake Forest
Syracuse
USC
Kansas St
Illinois St
Providence (or other BET team)

I don't view Illinois St as a serious contender but as they still have about 25% on the matrix I think they should be included.

So Sunday is not a day for much watching. Just waiting.

Go Orange.

Your gut feeling, is it a happy Selection Sunday for us?

I know you have to include as part of that 7-team group, it's prudent to do so - but I'm not convinced at all that the loser of vcu/RI will get in - like I would probably move that team to #6 in the pecking order, just barely above Ill St

VCU is a lock. They are 26-7 with a top 25 RPI.

Current Matrix (83 brackets from today)

Not that it matters much anymore other than to show that their is really no depth outside the bubble. Probably won't change much entering tomorrow. Probably a few more will move to Rhode Island.

Marquette 99%
Vanderbilt 99%
Wake Forest 99%
Providence 95%
USC 91%
Kansas St 89%
Rhode Island 65%
----- IN/OUT -----
Syracuse - 31%
Illinois St - 22%

Georgia - 4%
Illinois - 2%
TCU - 1%
Iowa - 1%

Patrick Cantlay winning would be a great comeback story. He's been through the ringer. And Wesley Bryan just needs to string together 4 rounds to break through. He's been real close since earning the immediate promotion from the Web.com tour. Once he wins, he could be another Justin Thomas.

Cue the trick shot videos...

Hadwin has the Sunday chokes like all seemingly all Canadian Golfers. Whether it's him or DeLaet or Mike Weir post Masters, they all struggle on Sunday's relative to the field.

Hadwin is 24th in scoring average this year, but 92nd in the final round.

Current Matrix (83 brackets from today)

Not that it matters much anymore other than to show that their is really no depth outside the bubble. Probably won't change much entering tomorrow. Probably a few more will move to Rhode Island.

Marquette 99%
Vanderbilt 99%
Wake Forest 99%
Providence 95%
USC 91%
Kansas St 89%
Rhode Island 65%
----- IN/OUT -----
Syracuse - 31%
Illinois St - 22%

Georgia - 4%
Illinois - 2%
TCU - 1%
Iowa - 1%
Photobucket burning couch

Photobucket burning couch

It's really not that bad. We only need to be viewed as better than one team by the committee. And there is nobody from below us that would be the team to knock out that team above the line.

Our odds are higher than 31%.

Anybody know if they are still planning the 2 hour selection show?

I remember when I was younger when the show was 30 minutes long and it seemed to pass too quick. The one hour show made sense. Last year's two hour version (or was it 2:30) was painful until the brackets got released before the second region.

I would have loved to find out live that we were the last team announced in the field. It would have been such an exciting moment. Then again, waiting an extra hour for that would have been ridiculous.

Hopefully CBS tightens up its format this year... and no Charles Barkley on the selection show FFS.

You have to wonder (mainly with a guy like Palm regarding a team like USC) - does he really view beating Washington and Oregon State on the road as more important than beating Duke, FSU, UVA at home?

I mean we beat 2 of the ACC bottom feeders on the road - our problem is we couldn't beat good teams on the road. But if they are saying beating an awful team on the road means something, then we got screwed because the ACC was so good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom