Bubble Watch - Selection Sunday (Sit and Wait) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bubble Watch - Selection Sunday (Sit and Wait)

How the committee seeds Arizona and West Virginia may be a decent experiment on how they regard RPI vs. the other rating systems. These two teams are polar opposites with regard to the ratings. No one is talking about WVU getting a 2 seed but I could see it happening.

West Virginia

Sagarin - #4
KenPom - #5
BPI - #7
RPI - #24

Arizona

Sagarin - #19
KenPom - #22
BPI - #24
RPI - #2

How the committee seeds Arizona and West Virginia may be a decent experiment on how they regard RPI vs. the other rating systems. These two teams are polar opposites with regard to the ratings. No one is talking about WVU getting a 2 seed but I could see it happening.

West Virginia

Sagarin - #4
KenPom - #5
BPI - #7
RPI - #24

Arizona

Sagarin - #19
KenPom - #22
BPI - #24
RPI - #2
of the 5-6 times i have seen WV I wonder more just how they have won so many games.. There are games where they shoot well, but more often its juts helter skelter than good basketball.

West Virginia

Sagarin - #4
KenPom - #5
BPI - #7
RPI - #24

Arizona

Sagarin - #19
KenPom - #22
BPI - #24
RPI - #2
Totally agree that's something to look for. However, with Zona winning the PAC12 and WVU not winning the B10 - they will be 2 or 3 seed lines apart potentially

of the 5-6 times i have seen WV I wonder more just how they have won so many games.. There are games where they shoot well, but more often its juts helter skelter than good basketball.
They rely on rattling teams. If a team stays composed with a veteran backcourt - WVU is in trouble. Their offense is awful besides the layups they get from steals...

My grumpy comments on the selection process ...

I still don't get why away wins are important.

K State has a losing conference record, how should they be a part of the conversation?

Gonna be a LLLLLOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG day!

Orange-bubbles-theme-background-Vector.png

My grumpy comments on the selection process ...

I still don't get why away wins are important.

K State has a losing conference record, how should they be a part of the conversation?
The argument you'll hear is that tournament games are not at home (nor on the road). If team can just win at home (like us) the perception is we aren't as good as the wins we got at the Dome - since we haven't really been close to beating a good team away from home.

The argument you'll hear is that tournament games are not at home (nor on the road). If team can just win at home (like us) the perception is we aren't as good as the wins we got at the Dome - since we haven't really been close to beating a good team away from home.
If we played Colgate and Cornell on the road all would be well.

I have a bad feeling about today...

Frankly, I just don't want to play any NIT games.

At this point the facts are clear - it's all about how the committee will weight them. If they value road/neutral wins, we're clearly out. If they value wins against top competition, we're probably good. Personally, I expect to be out because the road/neutral record is so bad it gives them an easy way to dismiss us. But stranger things have happened (Tulsa).

At this point the facts are clear - it's all about how the committee will weight them. If they value road/neutral wins, we're clearly out. If they value wins against top competition, we're probably good. Personally, I expect to be out because the road/neutral record is so bad it gives them an easy way to dismiss us. But stranger things have happened (Tulsa).

If they ask a question about us to the committee chair about us being in/out it will be very simple.
  • IF IN - The high caliber of their wins outweighed their poor performance away from home and questionable losses. (RPI will not be mentioned or will be noted as irrelevant)
  • IF OUT - The poor rood performance combined with a number of questionable losses outweighed the high caliber of their home wins. (RPI will not be mentioned or will be noted as irrelevant)

Same answer, but as you said it all comes down to how they weigh things.

I agree but I think our 4-4 record against teams ranked 101-200 is what really hurts our chances. When you look at other bubble teams, our record is by far the worst. As others have said, it all depends on what criteria the selection committee deem to be most important. I believe we are definitely one of the 36 best non-conference winners but our results do not reflect that.

17 days ago John Gillon hit the spectacular buzzer beater to beat Duke. At that time there was a lot of optomism on the board. We felt great about our tourney chances. Many thought we were in if we just win one game against Georgia Tech or had very good chances. I was a little more reserved at 50/50. Just being cautious but I thought it could be up to 80% in 10 days time if things went right by the time we played Tech.

4 days later we played at Louisville. We predictably lost. This was not a problem. We would have to wait another 6 days to play Georgia Tech.

But in those 10 days between Duke and Georgia Tech the bubble seemed to take their head out of their collective asses. Vanderbilt made a sudden move up. Wake Forest made a big move with 2 top wins in the last week(Louisville and at Virginia Tech). Providence, Seton Hall and Marquette all seemed to benefit from some weakness from Creighton, Xavier and Butler, which made the Big East a 7 team league instead of a 5 ir 6 team league . Illinois started to make a serious move.

By the time we played at 4:00 on Saturday afternoon things had changed for the worse. A week earlier I had hoped to say this win would likely do it. But too much had happened. Either way it was a must win game. And we did what we needed to do in convincing fashion.

We had some good news on the last Sunday of the season when Illinois St lost to Wichita St. So we entered the tournament as the 2nd last team in on the bubble matrix. Very uncertain, but we could really use that game against Miami.

And we lost that game to Miami. Things are going to have to go good this week. And on Wednesday and Thursday things did not go well. We could have use some teams having a bad loss. But none did. Instead Xavier got a big win. And teams like TCU, Georgia, Cal, and Indiana all moved forward. And then to finish the day on Thursday Kansas St beat Baylor. We were now the last team in. And there was a number of new potential chasers. Some posters wanted to call things over on Thursday.

But it was not over. We were just hanging by a string. And then everything went very good on Friday. All the challengers behind us faded. Kansas St could not follow up the Baylor win. USC could not get a big win. The bubble busters stayed intact. Things were looking up as we entered today.

Today was all about avoiding bubble busters. And we got all we needed - Nevada won, Middle Tenn St won, the AAC went as planned. We may have avoided the entire tournament season without one bubble buster. And that is exactly what we needed after Thursday.

So 17 days later after that John Gillon shot, we are still in the same position in my view. I would say still at around 50/50.

Not much of a schedule for tomorrow. There is one game - Rhode Island vs VCU and as was debated today it's not clear who is the better team to lose.

It's now pretty simple. The bubble is pretty much done.

7 teams. 5 spots

VCU/Rhode Island loser
Wake Forest
Syracuse
USC
Kansas St
Illinois St
Providence (or other BET team)

I don't view Illinois St as a serious contender but as they still have about 25% on the matrix I think they should be included.

So Sunday is not a day for much watching. Just waiting.

Go Orange.

Thanks for the effort over the last few day jncuse much appreciated.

I do think we want VCU winning today though, they have a better bubble shot than RI IMO. anyways Go Cuse!

Current Matrix (83 brackets from today)

Not that it matters much anymore other than to show that their is really no depth outside the bubble. Probably won't change much entering tomorrow. Probably a few more will move to Rhode Island.

Marquette 99%
Vanderbilt 99%
Wake Forest 99%
Providence 95%
USC 91%
Kansas St 89%
Rhode Island 65%
----- IN/OUT -----
Syracuse - 31%
Illinois St - 22%

Georgia - 4%
Illinois - 2%
TCU - 1%
Iowa - 1%

what was the bracket matrix % of Cuse last year on Selection Sunday?

The more I think about it the more I think we're going to get killed for having two road/neutral wins all year.

That would be the committee chair's justification if SU gets left out.

If we see USC (Trojans) name pop up before ours, that will be the kiss of death.

People said that last year about some team I can't remember before the bracket got leaked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom