Bud Hit The Nail On The Head | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bud Hit The Nail On The Head

I get the point. I wish the kid got to play but I am not going to criticize SS for that. It was his call and while I get the frustration its NOT reason for change.
I'm not sure what category to put this in.

It's clearly part of the character assassination that goes along with a firing, but this also can be included in poor game manager department.

Or maybe we just point and go 'meathead'...and call it a day.

Is this going to be another one of those "did you listen to Shafer" moments where, somehow, the quote was taken out of context?

Bud's metaphors are woeful and make him hard to read, but his take and his topic on this one seem spot on (was that out loud?)

Again, with 3 days rest, I can't believe Shafer said what he said. But I guess I should go look up the whole transcript.

I have to agree with Bud on this one. Shafer had no reason to keep Dungey out there, he should've known he was going to have to answer that question once he saw Dungey go down with the injury. He couldn't think of anything better to say other than "I thought we still had a chance to win." Did ya Scott? You're right, you were only down 31 with 4 and 1/2 minutes to play. I liked our chances if Dungey didn't get hurt.

I'm not sure what category to put this in.

It's clearly part of the character assassination that goes along with a firing, but this also can be included in poor game manager department.

Or maybe we just point and go 'meathead'...and call it a day.
I am okay with being meathead because while I want SS gone as HC he doesn't deserve his character questioned at all. The man is a good representative of the SU community he is just in over his head as HC a la Ray Handley.

I am okay with being meathead because while I want SS gone as HC he doesn't deserve his character questioned at all. The man is a good representative of the SU community he is just in over his head as HC a la Ray Handley.

This. Totally agree. He's a great guy, a great DC, but not a great HC.
It's too bad, I really wanted him to be successful here.

Quick story RE: walk ons.

Not the same situation, but in the final game of the year against ND where Reyes went nuts, my college roommate - who stuck around Syracuse to get his master's in neuroscience (what an idiot) and also walked on to the football team after having never played - went in for the final 3 offensive snaps.

His parents and grandparents grew up huge Tennessee fans, and traveled to the game. They saw him play in his only college football game.

You think that didn't mean anything to him?

This is the most over blown issue. People get freaking hurt, it's easy being a Monday Morning QB like Bud is. The Post Standard is trolling hard. I have no problem him being out there.

SUFan44 said:
Quick story RE: walk ons. Not the same situation, but in the final game of the year against ND where Reyes went nuts, my college roommate - who stuck around Syracuse to get his master's in neuroscience (what an idiot) and also walked on to the football team after having never played - went in for the final 3 offensive snaps. His parents and grandparents grew up huge Tennessee fans, and traveled to the game. They saw him play in his only college football game. You think that didn't mean anything to him?

Great story.

This is the most over blown issue. People get freaking hurt, it's easy being a Monday Morning QB like Bud is. The Post Standard is trolling hard. I have no problem him being out there.
the PS is definitely trolling considering all the comments they got after the game on Saturday. It's the same idiots, some of which probably post here, that continue to beat the drum in every single thread. I understand the position but why does it have to be hammered over and over and over again? Quoting Bud Poliquin? Give me a break, he wrote that article to generate clicks and nothing more. Let's rile up the boneheads with half a dozen user names on Syracuse.com so they can disparage everyone!

See I could understand leaving him in if that is what the HC did every week. However, the week before SS took ED out with 9 minutes down 45-15 to FSU.
No one questioned SS taking ED out that game. SS saying he thought SU could come back w/5 minutes left is idiotic and deserves to be ridiculed. SS double downing with this idea was not smart.

the PS is definitely trolling considering all the comments they got after the game on Saturday. It's the same idiots, some of which probably post here, that continue to beat the drum in every single thread. I understand the position but why does it have to be hammered over and over and over again? Quoting Bud Poliquin? Give me a break, he wrote that article to generate clicks and nothing more. Let's rile up the boneheads with half a dozen user names on Syracuse.com so they can disparage everyone!
Can you please answer this question when does the buck stop at Scott Shafer? I ask because your comments come across to me like people who want a new HC want to be miserable. I want to win football games. I find SS to be a good man but not a HC so what should be discussed on this board.

Syracuse football coach Scott Shafer might be talking his way out of a job

Syracuse, N.Y. — If Scott Shafer is, in fact, relieved of his duties in three weeks or so, the words that could be chiseled into his Syracuse University coaching tombstone might be these:

"I looked up at the clock and said, 'Hey, we can still get back in this game.'"

Shafer spoke those 17 potentially-fatal words this afternoon when he again discussed why he'd chosen three days earlier to leave his previously-concussed quarterback — the 19-year-old Eric Dungey — on that Louisville field with some 4½ minutes to play in an affair the Orange was losing 41-10.

And the disturbing thing is that Scott, who'd watched Dungey get smashed once more for no good reason and immediately thereafter get dispatched to the locker room, seemed serious. Which means he's either lost his senses or is very bad at arithmetic.

Either way, the man may be in the process of talking his way out of a job.

Get back in the game, huh? In addition to knocking off a few decades of the rosary, this is what SU would have needed to do to get back in Saturday's game against the clearly-superior Cardinals:

Score a touchdown, convert the two-point conversion and recover the ensuing onside kick. Then, score a touchdown, convert the two-point conversion and recover the ensuing onside kick. Then, score a touchdown, convert the two-point conversion and recover the ensuing onside kick.

And all in, say, three minutes.

That would have brought the score to 41-34, which would have gotten the Orange "back in the game" and given it the opportunity in, say, 90 seconds, to score yet another touchdown, convert yet another two-point conversion and win 42-41 as time expired.

Now, sure, football coaches are a weird bunch and they're wired to think that nearly all things are possible at nearly all times for their teams. But if you've listened to Scott Shafer — first on Saturday after SU's 41-17 loss to the Cardinals and then, again, earlier today — and you didn't hear Lloyd Christmas, you missed "Dumb and Dumber."

"So you're telling me there's a chance. Yeah!"

Of course, everybody respects the noble competitor who refuses to give up. We like to believe there's a little bit of Chuck Wepner, the ol' Bayonne Bleeder, in all of us. But jeez.

Last November, Shafer wouldn't put a loyal, walk-on, fifth-year senior lineman — who'd given his soul to the program and yet had never played a down — on the field for a "Rudy" moment in the final seconds of the season finale the Orange was losing 28-7 at Boston College.

And this November, Shafer wouldn't take a battered, struggling, true-freshman quarterback — who'd been knocked out of two previous games after taking blows to the head — off the field in the final minutes of the most recent mismatch the Orange was losing 41-10 at Louisville.

And in both instances, Scott's stated reason was that there was time enough to win. That makes the Syracuse coach, from one year to the next, a man of faith … or a man in need of a soft couch and a cold compress. Oh, and of a heart, too.

That submitted, here comes No. 1-ranked Clemson into the Carrier Dome. If the Tigers prove the odds-makers correct, and if they do knock off SU by four touchdowns, Scott Shafer will still be Scott Shafer … and you can attach the meaning of your choice to that.

Indeed, he'll likely declare that, even as the clock wound down — three … two … one … — on, oh, a 44-16 final score, his head was telling him there was a chance.

Some things are easier to predict than others.
If the current mindset is the Bud's ramblings are relevant, then the apocolypse is truly upon us......

when people start copying and pasting Poliquin columns I know that they've got nothing better to do but complain. This board is turning into Syracuse.com redux.
Can someone please start a Syracuse Fan board?

KellySyracuse said:

This is a discussion board and it seems that quite a lot of people want to discuss the status of our head coach. Can it get repetitive? Sure. But as long as people aren't taking personal shots at one another then they should be able to discuss things without being told to stop.

I've been a message board poster for a long time. And in that time there have been numerous occasions where I grew tired of a prominent discussion. So in those cases I'd dial back my participation on the board until the conversation turned in a different direction. I'd certainly encourage people to do that instead of constantly berating others to stop discussing what a lot of people clearly want to discuss.

This is a discussion board and it seems that quite a lot of people want to discuss the status of our head coach. Can it get repetitive? Sure. But as long as people aren't taking personal shots at one another then they should be able to discuss things without being told to stop.

I've been a message board poster for a long time. And in that time there have been numerous occasions where I grew tired of a prominent discussion. So in those cases I'd dial back my participation on the board until the conversation turned in a different direction. I'd certainly encourage people to do that instead of constantly berating others to stop discussing what a lot of people clearly want to discuss.
You monster

Good post. It's like anybody who wants shafer fired is miserable and a monster and not a fan!.

I have topics I don't really like to post or read on, others I do but a lot of stuff gets repetitive around here. It happens

Can you please answer this question when does the buck stop at Scott Shafer? I ask because your comments come across to me like people who want a new HC want to be miserable. I want to win football games. I find SS to be a good man but not a HC so what should be discussed on this board.
Not at all, but why do people feel the need to bring it into every single thread? Don't you think that anyone who has opened any number of threads over the past 2 months hasn't read how much you want to get rid of Shafer? But by all means, keep beating the drum.

I'm putting you on ignore mister.

Oh so if I understand what you're saying it's okay for a group of people to derail every discussion by shoehorning their obsession with firing Shafer and I should be the one to take a break?

Scooch said:
This is a discussion board and it seems that quite a lot of people want to discuss the status of our head coach. Can it get repetitive? Sure. But as long as people aren't taking personal shots at one another then they should be able to discuss things without being told to stop. I've been a message board poster for a long time. And in that time there have been numerous occasions where I grew tired of a prominent discussion. So in those cases I'd dial back my participation on the board until the conversation turned in a different direction. I'd certainly encourage people to do that instead of constantly berating others to stop discussing what a lot of people clearly want to discuss.

Problem is the people who want to harp on Shafer even in threads that have nothing to do with him. But every thread turns into it. Plus many times the "discussion" becomes childish.

Problem is the people who want to harp on Shafer even in threads that have nothing to do with him. But every thread turns into it. Plus many times the "discussion" becomes childish.
thank you