Bud Hit The Nail On The Head | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Bud Hit The Nail On The Head

I thought it was a well-written article. The part about the "Rudy-like walkon snub" offered context on some seemingly head-scratching actions undertaken by HCSS. Gratuitous? Probably. But not really off the mark, IMO.
The point about Shafer possibly talking himself out of a job is still valid however, and the article did well to illustrate that.
JMHO
No need for the walk-on stuff since he already wrote an entire bit about it. I know of a walk-on under GRob that never played a down in a game. Was recruited by GRob from another SU team and worked his tail off. Never played in a game despite the urging of fellow players to put him in. It's not that unusual.

OttoMets said:
Yeah, this is the problem. Shafer knows way more about football than I do. If he wants to leave his quarterback in or not give Pittsburgh a free touchdown, he probably has a good reason for doing so. But when he explicitly announces some absurd reasoning for doing those things, he makes it difficult on himself. This further calls into question his decision-making and critical thinking.

Agreed. But Bud seems to think he needs to be held responsible for playing the kid. He doesn't. He needs to be held responsible for his dumb reasoning for playing him.

Meh. Put me in the camp that would never want a coach who looks up at the scoreboard and concedes defeat. That's a loser mentality.

No we werent going to win but Dungey was rightfully still in the game trying to learn, move the offense and score more points. Build on some positives from his otherwise poor game. Kid needs reps, lville was still blitzing late. You don't get better on the bench.

Last edited:
Not at all, but why do people feel the need to bring it into every single thread? Don't you think that anyone who has opened any number of threads over the past 2 months hasn't read how much you want to get rid of Shafer? But by all means, keep beating the drum.
Unfortunately the status of our HC effects every single aspect of this program. It looks like we've got a dead man walking which casts a pall over every game, player personnel decision, recruit... I can't even read the Dome Reno thread w/o thinking how this can help offset the coaching instability in the minds of recruits.

Hey I love Shaf and his staff are great guys but we're looking at another 3 win season so quite frankly I don't know how anyone can talk about anything else

No need for the walk-on stuff since he already wrote an entire bit about it. I know of a walk-on under GRob that never played a down in a game. Was recruited by GRob from another SU team and worked his tail off. Never played in a game despite the urging of fellow players to put him in. It's not that unusual.

Looking past the fact that bud oversensationalized it, it happened a year ago. It was reported on a year ago. What is the point of bring that up now other than to pile on?

It wasn't for the fans it was for the player. You don't get it.

I understand who it was for. And if you took the time to read my post a few after that one, you would get that my comment had more to do with Bud using a year old piece he wrote with an agenda rather than standing up for the rights of walk-ons.

See I could understand leaving him in if that is what the HC did every week. However, the week before SS took ED out with 9 minutes down 45-15 to FSU.
No one questioned SS taking ED out that game. SS saying he thought SU could come back w/5 minutes left is idiotic and deserves to be ridiculed. SS double downing with this idea was not smart.

I'm not sure that I have ever read Bud where he takes the kind of stand he took in this instance.

It was a courageous column - it hits hard.

But it's fair and I think with respect to the Dungey situation, spot on - the kid should not have been in the game and the game was clearly lost at that point.

I'm not sure that I have ever read Bud where he takes the kind of stand he took in this instance.

It was a courageous column - it hits hard.

But it's fair and I think with respect to the Dungey situation, spot on - the kid should not have been in the game and the game was clearly lost at that point.

It's actually a relief to see the Syracuse.com sports opinion columnist express an opinion about the status of SS, which is arguably the top issue facing the program at the moment.

Bud has been seemingly unable to write about much other than Eric's injuries over the course of the year, to the point where it feels like he's stalking the kid harder than opposing linebackers do. And even though this column stems from that same obsession, the Syracuse.com opinion columnist ought to be expressing an opinion about whether the head coach should stay or go.

That's his job, and he finally displayed some cojones here.

It's actually a relief to see the Syracuse.com sports opinion columnist express an opinion about the status of SS, which is arguably the top issue facing the program at the moment.

Bud has been seemingly unable to write about much other than Eric's injuries over the course of the year, to the point where it feels like he's stalking the kid harder than opposing linebackers do. And even though this column stems from that same obsession, the Syracuse.com opinion columnist ought to be expressing an opinion about whether the head coach should stay or go.

That's his job, and he finally displayed some cojones here.

It looks just like all his other negative SU rants to me. If he wasn't on the staff there, he could be a great troll.

It looks just like all his other negative SU rants to me. If he wasn't on the staff there, he could be a great troll.

I think it's different. His usual approach is passive-aggressive snark, which is pretty cowardly. In this case he actually appears to be doing his job and taking a stand. Whether you agree with him or not, we should be seeing more of that out of Bud Poliquin or whomever Syracuse.com decides should be his replacement as sports columnist.

I think it's different. His usual approach is passive-aggressive snark, which is pretty cowardly. In this case he actually appears to be doing his job and taking a stand. Whether you agree with him or not, we should be seeing more of that out of Bud Poliquin or whomever Syracuse.com decides should be his replacement as sports columnist.
If he did his job every piece, I would have no issue with this one. When he manages to find something negative out of nothing all the time, I don't find it laudatory that he actually rightly points out a negative once in a while.

Meh. Put me in the camp that would never want a coach who looks up at the scoreboard and concedes defeat. That's a loser mentality.

No we werent going to win but Dungey was rightfully still in the game trying to learn, move the offense and score more points. Build on some positives from his otherwise poor game. Kid needs reps, lville was still blitzing late. You don't get better on the bench.

That's fine and all, but why did Mahoney come in against FSU with 6 minutes left and a similar score?

The stupid meathead steriod freak ahole from CMU changed the equation.

It would be one thing if we were just this team deep on QBs. But we've had what, one good QB season since 1998? And we've already lost 2 to injury this year? Now he has a freshman who could be the face of bringing the program back to life (again).

I guess if Shafer thinks he's getting fired anyway...what does he care about our future.

That's fine and all, but why did Mahoney come in against FSU with 6 minutes left and a similar score?

The stupid meathead steriod freak ahole from CMU changed the equation.

It would be one thing if we were just this team deep on QBs. But we've had what, one good QB season since 1998? And we've already lost 2 to injury this year? Now he has a freshman who could be the face of bringing the program back to life (again).

I guess if Shafer thinks he's getting fired anyway...what does he care about our future.
I don't think Shafer is yet conceding he will be fired.

If he did his job every piece, I would have no issue with this one. When he manages to find something negative out of nothing all the time, I don't find it laudatory that he actually rightly points out a negative once in a while.

I don't think either of us is here to make a general defense of Bud Poliquin. I'd like to see him replaced by someone who actually appears to be interested in the sport he's covering.

I don't think either of us is here to make a general defense of Bud Poliquin. I'd like to see him replaced by someone who actually appears to be interested in the sport he's covering.
I am with you on that. He covers SU sports and seems to have a total disdain for the money makers.

I don't think Shafer is yet conceding he will be fired.

I did notice his "my time here at Syracuse" phraseology in his post presser. He suspects Coyle won't keep him.