Bud Poliquin Retiring from P-S | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bud Poliquin Retiring from P-S

And so, as many have gone before him, the intrepid reporter, who enjoyed a whiz bang career in the city, borne of salt, finds his career, ballyhooed by some, reviled by others, at an end. And while many have disliked this laddy buck's stylistic idiosyncrasies, which set him apart from his fellow compatriots toiling in thankless obscurity behind steampunk typewriters, his op ed pieces never failed to elicit reactions from his central, New York, a,u,d,i,e,n,c,e. And at the end of the day, as the span of a career transitions from daytime to a plumb twilight, on ebon wings towards retirement, is that not the true measure of a journalist? The answer is no.

oscar.jpg

I assume this means he's leaving Bud and the Manchild, to which I call into frequently. I'll miss him. I didn't used to like him when I just read his columns but when I retired and started listening to the show, I got to like him and found him to be a nice, if somewhat eccentrics guy. He has a wealth of knowledge of sports on a personal basis. He never cared about the contests nearly as much as he cared about the people. His interests were much broader than sports. He didn't care about recruiting ratings, the NFL draft, breaking down games,. etc. He had met anybody and everybody you can name and his observations of them were always interesting.

He could be dismissive and that came across in print as arrogant or cold. But he was far from arrogant or cold that in person. He had his likes and dislikes. But he was fun to listen to in his interaction with Jim Lersch, "The Manchild". You could tell he liked people and enjoyed telling their stories. I think to him, that's what sports was really about. I will miss him.

Both are great journalists, love Brent. And personally I know Bud, he seems to be an old curmudgeon when you read his stuff, but he is actually a pretty nice guy, and has an amazing sports mind.

Neither is a great journalist. And Brent is not a journalist of any type.

I'm not quite sure what to call Brent. He is maybe an aggregator of information. An interaction facilitator. A moderator. A blogger.

He sure as hell isn't a journalist.

It's a murky line line these days, but it's a little like the old Potter Stewart standard about obscenity: "I know it when I see it."

Bud at least fell within the general bounds of what a journalist does, although at the leisurely-man's-opinion end of the spectrum.

He did play his part here for 36 years, and you have to respect that to some extent.

But as others have said, it became clear as more time went on that he didn't especially like sports. It might have been better for all of us if he'd realized that earlier in his career and decided to do something else.

His vulture-stalking of Eric Dungey and the concussion issue really turned me from slightly positive on him to solidly negative.

I think this retirement might have come a bit late, but I do hope that he is able to fill his days and nights with something he actually enjoys from this point.

He could be dismissive and that came across in print as arrogant or cold. But he was far from arrogant or cold that in person. He had his likes and dislikes.
That tells me one of two things: either he was trying purposely to come off as arrogant/cold, or he wasn't a good enough writer to state what he actually meant without coming off as arrogant/cold.

Personally, I never liked his style.

Seems as if he was born 50 years too late - "Hello Sweetheart, get me rewrite!"
hisgirlfriday2.jpeg

He was a click bait troll writer. Who wrote like he despised his audience and acted like he was objective.
Contrarian writers suck. I say hit the road Bud and hope we never hear from him ever again.
His coverage made liking sports miserable. These type of writers suck and the faster this style is gone actual sports fans can enjoy sports for the entertainment they are.
Bud did nothing in his writing to care what the fanbase truly thought and wrote to anger them and keep himself relevant.
There will always be contrarians in any field, and when one moves on, another will step in to fill the void.

I came to dislike Bud's style and many of his opinions, but no one ever forced me to read his columns or listen to his radio show, and nothing he did ever diminished my enjoyment for sports.

As others have pointed out here, he may have been better served covering something other than sports, or maybe living in a bygone era. I do wish him and his family happiness and good health.

I dislike his jaded outlook on sports...so many negative columns, so much of his life has been dedicated to tearing people and institutions down. I look to a good sports columnist as someone who loves sports, who is capable of expressing the passion and joy sports should bring to everyone who watches.

I dislike his writing style too. So many times I have wanted to strangle him when trying to read his convoluted prose.

But he was the last vestige of a writing style that used to be commonplace in the newspaper business and to me, his retirement officially ends an era when sport writers would embellish their work with showy flourishes and bring more to the table that simply reporting the facts. I guess I am a little sad to see that go.

By all accounts, he is a good guy, funny and entertaining in person and on the radio. Somewhere he just got into some bad habits with a keyboard in front of him. I blame UConn. 'It isn't his fault. He never knew!'

Anyway, I hope his replacement is someone who truly loves sports and specifically has a great passion for SU basketball and football. Someone who follows recruiting, knows the names of the head coaches for all the teams in the ACC, know the depth chart for football and who the top 5 targets are for the SU basketball program.

Please don't hire a tabloid hired gun who devotes their career to trying to sensationalize minor incidents and destroy the reputations and careers of good people.

I dislike his jaded outlook on sports...so many negative columns, so much of his life has been dedicated to tearing people and institutions down. I look to a good sports columnist as someone who loves sports, who is capable of expressing the passion and joy sports should bring to everyone who watches.

I dislike his writing style too. So many times I have wanted to strangle him when trying to read his convoluted prose.

But he was the last vestige of a writing style that used to be commonplace in the newspaper business and to me, his retirement officially ends an era when sport writers would embellish their work with showy flourishes and bring more to the table that simply reporting the facts. I guess I am a little sad to see that go.

By all accounts, he is a good guy, funny and entertaining in person and on the radio. Somewhere he just got into some bad habits with a keyboard in front of him. I blame UConn. 'It isn't his fault. He never knew!'

Anyway, I hope his replacement is someone who truly loves sports and specifically has a great passion for SU basketball and football. Someone who follows recruiting, knows the names of the head coaches for all the teams in the ACC, know the depth chart for football and who the top 5 targets are for the SU basketball program.

Please don't hire a tabloid hired gun who devotes their career to trying to sensationalize minor incidents and destroy the reputations and careers of good people.

The question is: will there be a replacement? Legitimate question with the way newspapers are run these days.

He was a click bait troll writer. Who wrote like he despised his audience and acted like he was objective.
Contrarian writers suck. I say hit the road Bud and hope we never hear from him ever again.
His coverage made liking sports miserable. These type of writers suck and the faster this style is gone actual sports fans can enjoy sports for the entertainment they are.
Bud did nothing in his writing to care what the fanbase truly thought and wrote to anger them and keep himself relevant.

The irony dripping from this post is unbelievable. I'm nearly drowning in it.

Neither is a great journalist. And Brent is not a journalist of any type.

I'm not quite sure what to call Brent. He is maybe an aggregator of information. An interaction facilitator. A moderator. A blogger.

He sure as hell isn't a journalist.

It's a murky line line these days, but it's a little like the old Potter Stewart standard about obscenity: "I know it when I see it."

Bud at least fell within the general bounds of what a journalist does, although at the leisurely-man's-opinion end of the spectrum.

He did play his part here for 36 years, and you have to respect that to some extent.

But as others have said, it became clear as more time went on that he didn't especially like sports. It might have been better for all of us if he'd realized that earlier in his career and decided to do something else.

His vulture-stalking of Eric Dungey and the concussion issue really turned me from slightly positive on him to solidly negative.

I think this retirement might have come a bit late, but I do hope that he is able to fill his days and nights with something he actually enjoys from this point.

Great post, I was scrolling through to say just that. Brent is a horrible writer who, unfortunately, happens to write for a living. But he sure isn't a journalist.

The question is: will there be a replacement? Legitimate question with the way newspapers are run these days.
I agree - this was more likely the end of a contract that was not renewed. Think the same thing happened when a much more talented Sean Kirst "retired" as well.

Like his work or not, he was always a nice guy. Sounds like he has been dealing with illness within his family. Too bad people are so mean.

I took my daughter to an event several years ago where he talked about writing as a career. He was charming as hell and great with the kids during the Q&A session that followed.

First Hopkins, then Lydon... now Bud.

What have the denizens of this fine, snow-drifted burg done to deserve such misfortune?

Plus the IMDB got rid of their message boards and ESPN is canceling "Sports Reporters".

I hate change! :(

By the way, Bud said today that he'll still show up on Bud and the Manchild. He's taking a vacation for a couple of months now that the basketball season is over. He'll come back for a three day a week schedule and might reduce that further later. (He owns a piece of the show so I guess he wants to keep it going.)

Plus the IMDB got rid of their message boards and ESPN is canceling "Sports Reporters".

I hate change! :(

By the way, Bud said today that he'll still show up on Bud and the Manchild. He's taking a vacation for a couple of months now that the basketball season is over. He'll come back for a three day a week schedule and might reduce that further later. (He owns a piece of the show so I guess he wants to keep it going.)

Stopped watching sports reporters after Saunders died. Can't stand that weasel Lupica.

Stopped watching sports reporters after Saunders died. Can't stand that weasel Lupica.
I liked it with Saunders better too. Still, very disappointed. Before I got rid of cable, I watched it religiously. My friend called it my Old Man Show.

He was at his best writing about Kathy Urshel, whom he truly admired. I knew Kathy when I was young enough to see all of the unimportant ways in which she was different than me.
His sports stuff was terrible, but when it came to Kathy, even the verbose and loquacious Bud could not find enough words.
His poignant and admiring pieces on Kathy helped to bring home the many important ways in which Kathy truly was different from me, and from most of us.

Last edited:
He was at his best writing about Kathy Urshel, whom he truly admired. I knew Kathy when I was young enough to see all of the unimportant ways in which she was different than me.
His sports stuff was terrible, but when it came to Kathy, even the verbose and loquacious Bud could not find enough words.
His poignant and admiring pieces on Kathy helped to bring home the many important ways in which Kathy truly was different from me, and from most of us.

I had to look her up: www.greatersyracusesportshalloffame.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom