Buddy’s letter to the fans | Syracusefan.com

Buddy’s letter to the fans

Well here we are.

Buddy needs to develop defensively and do more than just be a scorer. He has height to rebound and length to contest. He draws defenders when he penetrates for his 12-15 foot pull ups, time to start looking for Bourama and QG open down low as he draws the big.

He’s the best three point shooter in the ACC though, and is worth his minutes simply because he forces the defense to have at least one defender out to the perimeter on him at all times.

If his last name was not Boeheim.. he would have been recruited over and would be coming off the bench
Recruited over? No shot he’s a top 3 point shooter and double digit scorer.

Could we find a superior athlete and defender who could chip into his minutes? Absolutely and I hope we do.

Buddy has a lot to improve still to be a factor at all times.

If his last name was not Boeheim.. he would never have been recruited

Fixed!

First, my fix is likely quite true. :)

Second, Buddy is one likable kid. Off the charts likable, and I'm glad he's here. Much like Mookie Jones before him, I love me some shooters!

Third, the kid is pretty limited. Insanely limited up to this point in his career and his minutes make no sense on any justifiable level.

Fourth, are we really not recruiting any shooting guards until he's gone? He's not very good for a SG at most things that don't involve three point shooting. Perhaps none at this point. :(

Fifth, he's far exceeded expectations and should be roundly applauded by all for the strides he's already made! :)

Sixth, those strides have allowed him to reach the point where you could probably easily justify him averaging 20 minutes per game, or maybe even more!

Seventh, I mean, if your starting shooting guard, at this point, still tends to recoil in terror from hard pressure or a double team, and dribble backwards (like the kid that got cut trying out for your JV team in HS), and then just tosses a bounce pass to the other team - you got a shooting guard that can't play 40 MPG.
  • Best example of this late in the season was the first UNC match-up
Eighth, if he gets much, much, much, much faster and athletic perhaps he can be a serviceable 35-40 MPG type guy.

Ninth, he's not going to get much faster or athletic. At least I doubt it happens.

Tenth, we have to hope Kadary and Griffin are stupendous, or we may be in some trouble for at least a couple more years. A super dynamic PG/SF can offset a lot of Buddy's limitations. JGIII and an Eli-Light, cannot.

Fixed!

First, my fix is likely quite true. :)

Second, Buddy is one likable kid. Off the charts likable, and I'm glad he's here. Much like Mookie Jones before him, I love me some shooters!

Third, the kid is pretty limited. Insanely limited up to this point in his career and his minutes make no sense on any justifiable level.

Fourth, are we really not recruiting any shooting guards until he's gone? He's not very good for a SG at most things that don't involve three point shooting. Perhaps none at this point. :(

Fifth, he's far exceeded expectations and should be roundly applauded by all for the strides he's already made! :)

Sixth, those strides have allowed him to reach the point where you could probably easily justify him averaging 20 minutes per game, or maybe even more!

Seventh, I mean, if your starting shooting guard, at this point, still tends to recoil in terror from hard pressure or a double team, and dribble backwards (like the kid that got cut trying out for your JV team in HS), and then just tosses a bounce pass to the other team - you got a shooting guard that can't play 40 MPG.
  • Best example of this late in the season was the first UNC match-up
Eighth, if he gets much, much, much, much faster and athletic perhaps he can be a serviceable 35-40 MPG type guy.

Ninth, he's not going to get much faster or athletic. At least I doubt it happens.

Tenth, we have to hope Kadary and Griffin are stupendous, or we may be in some trouble for at least a couple more years. A super dynamic PG/SF can offset a lot of Buddy's limitations. JGIII and an Eli-Light, cannot.
Well said! I agree with you 100%

If his last name wasn’t Boeheim people would definitely give him a bigger leash
But would the coach give him as long of a leash if it wasn't? I don't have memories of too many other players that have blown so many defensive assignments without getting yanked and a talking to. Regardless, he has proven to be quite capable as a high level player.

I don't have any new thoughts to contribute.

That's not going to stop me though.

I like how Buddy can pile on the points when he's hot, I just wish he didn't play 40 minutes a game.

Last edited:
Well here we are.

Buddy needs to develop defensively and do more than just be a scorer. He has height to rebound and length to contest. He draws defenders when he penetrates for his 12-15 foot pull ups, time to start looking for Bourama and QG open down low as he draws the big.

He’s the best three point shooter in the ACC though, and is worth his minutes simply because he forces the defense to have at least one defender out to the perimeter on him at all times.

Is this based on statistics, or feelings?

Is this based on statistics, or feelings?
Based on having watched enough of the ACC this year to feel confident in saying so.

im one of Buddy’s most vocal critics, but the kid is a damn great perimeter shooter. If he’s not the best, hes top 3.

Based on having watched enough of the ACC this year to feel confident in saying so.

im one of Buddy’s most vocal critics, but the kid is a damn great perimeter shooter. If he’s not the best, hes top 3.

Fair enough - he's a 38% spot-up three point shooter.
So, feelings! :)

I think he's likely better than that as well if we're being honest, but he also has a pretty low-level of difficulty on his threes, as he's mostly just a spot-up guy.

If he went to any other school in the ACC he would be the skinny white kid who lights us up from deep every year and everybody would complain that we don’t recruit enough shooters

They say you can't teach quickness, for Buddy's sake I hope they're wrong. If anyone could I'd guess JAB would be as good a choice as any ! Hope it works out for him as he does seem like a really fine young man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom