Buddy and Joe ... Covid Brothers | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy and Joe ... Covid Brothers

Nahiem Allyene went from 5 for 6 from 3 against us.
All clean looks.

Jalen Cone went 4 for 8 from 3.
He had forced shots.

I rewatched the game.

Those two who are playing this year made 9 of the 15 3’s VPI made.

They are going to rain 3 pt attempts against us.
are you talking about the first or second game against them from last year? in the second game, at their place, we pretty much controlled from start to finish... difference this year is Aluma, only guy they didn't have last year and he's a key addition for sure - he could do real damage inside a la Mballa or Brooks

are you talking about the first or second game against them from last year? in the second game, at their place, we pretty much controlled from start to finish... difference this year is Aluma, only guy they didn't have last year and he's a key addition for sure - he could do real damage inside a la Mballa or Brooks
This was the game at their place.

I was talking about. They made 15 3’s. With the stats I posted before.

Always feels like we see a post like this before a team goes off on their best shooting game of the season against us. Hope it doesn't happen. Also really don't want to see us get killed inside either.

I"m not saying it couldn't happen, I was just saying that the 3 point defense has been better than people think. Our worst defensive game against shooting was against Buffalo where they were 9-22.

This was the game at their place.

I was talking about. They made 15 3’s. With the stats I posted before.
I mean, they drained 15 threes and we only went 6/24 and we were still able to win.
with this team this year, how efficiently we score (more specifically, the rate at which we hit 3s) is more important than how porous our defense is - if our 3 shooters can make shots at a reasonable clip, we'll beat a team like Va Tech (a team that gave up 78 to Miami to squeak one out by 2pts a couple weeks ago)

I"m not saying it couldn't happen, I was just saying that the 3 point defense has been better than people think. Our worst defensive game against shooting was against Buffalo where they were 9-22.
UNC can’t shoot.
Pitt can’t shoot.
Defense shutdown Miami and BC.

I don’t think this defense has proven anything. I would say JB saying Buddy and Joe haven’t been the problem defensively is what has drawn this scrutiny.
It was a dumb comment. That plays into a lot of complaints about he treats certain players versus others.

If the center is the problem then why the hell did it take till Miami to give Edwards real minutes. If he isn’t perfect we get that but the minutes he plays will help the future and he doesn’t care about that. So then don’t complain about the center position defensively.

The HC needs to be consistent.

I mean, they drained 15 threes and we only went 6/24 and we were still able to win.
with this team this year, how efficiently we score (more specifically, the rate at which we hit 3s) is more important than how porous our defense is - if our 3 shooters can make shots at a reasonable clip, we'll beat a team like Va Tech (a team that gave up 78 to Miami to squeak one out by 2pts a couple weeks ago)
Listen I think we are decent team. I defended the team after the Pitt game when Brian wanted to make us out to be complete garbage.
I knew we weren’t bottom 5 bad.

I just saying VPI is going to attack us and attempt a lot of 3’s.

Listen I think we are decent team. I defended the team after the Pitt game when Brian wanted to make us out to be complete garbage.
I knew we weren’t bottom 5 bad.

I just saying VPI is going to attack us and attempt a lot of 3’s.
Right on. I too think they'll put up a ton of 3s - I guess I'm just saying, as shown w last year's game at their place, we can withstand them making 15 of them, esp if we are just somewhat efficient offensively

UNC can’t shoot.
Pitt can’t shoot.
Defense shutdown Miami and BC.

I don’t think this defense has proven anything. I would say JB saying Buddy and Joe haven’t been the problem defensively is what has drawn this scrutiny.
It was a dumb comment. That plays into a lot of complaints about he treats certain players versus others.

If the center is the problem then why the hell did it take till Miami to give Edwards real minutes. If he isn’t perfect we get that but the minutes he plays will help the future and he doesn’t care about that. So then don’t complain about the center position defensively.

The HC needs to be consistent.

UNC shoots better from 3 in conference plan that Virginia Tech does. I think at this point everyone realizes that Buddy and Joe should play a bit less, but it shouldn't control every conversation about the team as there are other issues that need to be fixed that don't include how much they play.

The real issue so far is rebounding and shooting percentage at the rim. That's why we lost to Pitt the first time and UNC. It's why I think we need to see more of Edwards.

UNC shoots better from 3 in conference plan that Virginia Tech does. I think at this point everyone realizes that Buddy and Joe should play a bit less, but it shouldn't control every conversation about the team as there are other issues that need to be fixed that don't include how much they play.

The real issue so far is rebounding and shooting percentage at the rim. That's why we lost to Pitt the first time and UNC. It's why I think we need to see more of Edwards.
How many 3 pt attempts is UNC shooting?
I watched their Wake game on Wednesday had Wake +11 and it seemed like Wake was trading a 3 for UNC making 2’s all night till wake got cold.

I don’t think UNC shoots a lot of 3’s. By design of their team.

I'd add our own 3pt shooting %, too - think you can point to that as a major factor in at least 3 of our losses (esp both Pitt games)

He’s unbelievable. We’re watching the games, chief. Alan has def had trouble learning the zone and his assignments. And the center spot has been the clear weakness. But we can all see how poor to average Buddy and Joe are on defense— slow on rotations, not identifying shooters and running them off their spots, not doing a good job trying to keep the ball out of the post, not fighting through screens at the top of the zone. They’re so often on the heels of their feet. At the very least they could keep their hands up at all times to block sight lines and be in better position to get deflections.

Last edited:
I think the COVID ate JB’s brain

Then it was just a stale snack...

hiyooooo.jpg

VPI takes 20.7 and makes 6.7.
UNC takes 18.9 and makes 6.4.
I prefer to look at KenPom’s 3PA/FGA metric (I think it provides more info than just looking at the raw totals). Here they are for Va Tech, UNC and SU this year:

• Va Tech’s 3PA/FGA: 41.8% (ranks 73rd highest out of 347 D-1 teams)
  • UNC’s 3PA/FGA: 27.7% (ranks 336th highest out of 347 D-1 teams)
  • SU’s 3PA/FGA: 42.2% (ranks 67th highest out of 347 D-1 teams)

Joe really has played well the last 2 games . He was hot vs Miami ... but today he didn’t force his shot, passed well, and was aggressive on D.

Ive been in the “Kadary and Buddy” camp ... but Joe has been impressive.

It is strange but very nice to have three solid guards to go to. Haven't had that since Dion "the Headcase".

What did the floor space look like today? Missed the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom