Buddy and Joe ... Covid Brothers | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy and Joe ... Covid Brothers

Fun story: good friend of mine is Paul Harris’ Eskimo brother.

1611309277541.png

Not totally wrong, to be honest, but would probably amend to say "...not totally to blame..." A lot of points scored because the bigs are out of position, following the ball too far out, and are then out of position to rebound or recover to contest. That said, the ball often goes right by JG and BB to get there.

Not totally wrong, to be honest, but would probably amend to say "...not totally to blame..." A lot of points scored because the bigs are out of position, following the ball too far out, and are then out of position to rebound or recover to contest. That said, the ball often goes right by JG and BB to get there.
It was odd in those first two possessions where Kadary played that it didn't seem like the bigs were out of position at all...

I mean I *think* this is another case of JB doing a public over-the-top defense of players (a la "not 10 f___ games*) as the two guards have been (rightfully) getting alot of flack for their piss-poor D...
but still, what a thing to say. oof

Eh, kind of disagree here.

It would be one thing if he just said something like "listen, we've been limited with COVID and injuries, but Buddy and Joe are doing a solid job up top on D".

That would be a lie, but it would be acceptable, I guess. Public defense of his guys. I get it.

The issue is he specifically called out the front line. He didn't let it rest with just lying about Buddy and Joe.

I believe, if I'm remembering correctly, the GMac rant was just about GMac (granted, it wasn't a boost to the other players), he wasn't like DNic stinks, GMac rules.

I dunno, I think this was too far. World isn't ending, but I'm not a fan.

I think theres been a lot of over-analysis about the defense. It’s actually quite better than last year when you break down the numbers. Our 3 point defense has actually been excellent. 28% against. We are giving up less free throws than we ever have in the KenPom era and we are forcing more turnovers than last year. Our 2 point defense against stinks still and that’s Our biggest weakness.

Are the guards somewhat to blame? Sure, but Marek isn’t a rim protector and I think Edwards would help tremendously here.

I think theres been a lot of over-analysis about the defense. It’s actually quite better than last year when you break down the numbers. Our 3 point defense has actually been excellent. 28% against. We are giving up less free throws than we ever have in the KenPom era and we are forcing more turnovers than last year. Our 2 point defense against stinks still and that’s Our biggest weakness.

Are the guards somewhat to blame? Sure, but Marek isn’t a rim protector and I think Edwards would help tremendously here.
Interesting. I'm really curious to see if that's a direct impact from our defense, or if it's because shooting is just down due to Covid, etc. I would like to farm that research out. Any takers?

Our opponents help our stats.
Virginia Tech is going to make 12-18 3 point FGs tomorrow.

We haven’t played good teams yet.
Pitt the second time is probably the best team we played.

It was odd in those first two possessions where Kadary played that it didn't seem like the bigs were out of position at all...

Not arguing that KR isn't a better defensive player at all, and I agreed that JG and BB up top is creating some of the issues for the bigs. That said, you're blind if you don't see Jesse and Marek following the ball out and getting caught out of position for rebounds. Some of that is the overload of passes that get by JG/BB, but are we to expect that no passes enter the lane with KR in the game? Is there some sort of wizardry I'm missing here?

I’m going by KenPom and it’s adjusted for performance of teams.
Our defense doesn’t take the high post away.
Virginia Tech made 15 3’s against last year.
They are going to get the ball in the middle and get a lot of clean 3 pt attempts tomorrow.
We have to hope they are just average.
If they make more than 15 they will win.
If they make less than 15 we will win.

Our defense is not good when Kadary doesn’t play.
He helps the stats.

Virginia Tech has a couple of good shooters, but they are shooting 34% from 3 overall. They are shooting 54% from 2 though.

Virginia Tech has a couple of good shooters, but they are shooting 34% from 3 overall. They are shooting 54% from 2 though.
Nahiem Allyene went from 5 for 6 from 3 against us.
All clean looks.

Jalen Cone went 4 for 8 from 3.
He had forced shots.

I rewatched the game.

Those two who are playing this year made 9 of the 15 3’s VPI made.

They are going to rain 3 pt attempts against us.

Our defense doesn’t take the high post away.
Virginia Tech made 15 3’s against last year.
They are going to get the ball in the middle and get a lot of clean 3 pt attempts tomorrow.
We have to hope they are just average.
If they make more than 15 they will win.
If they make less than 15 we will win.

Our defense is not good when Kadary doesn’t play.
He helps the stats.
They aren't playing the same way they did under Buzz. Aluma and Radford aren't 3 point threats. They play 15 feet and in. Thats the strength of their team. We need to focus on Cattoor and Cone on the outside. Hopefully they put Cattoor on Buddy again. He ate him alive last season.

Also our 3pt% against in conference is better in conference than OOC. It's 24.4% in conference play and that includes BC and North Carolina who are in the top half of the conference in 3 point percentage.

The real weakness of the defense has been 2nd shots. We are the worst team in the conference in defensive rebounding which I think everyone knew.

Not arguing that KR isn't a better defensive player at all, and I agreed that JG and BB up top is creating some of the issues for the bigs. That said, you're blind if you don't see Jesse and Marek following the ball out and getting caught out of position for rebounds. Some of that is the overload of passes that get by JG/BB, but are we to expect that no passes enter the lane with KR in the game? Is there some sort of wizardry I'm missing here?
No, you're right. I was being sarcastic.

Many of our bigs do exactly as you say and chase the ball. I've often wondered if there is a designated 'hand-off' that is supposed to happen that rarely does.

Always feels like we see a post like this before a team goes off on their best shooting game of the season against us. Hope it doesn't happen. Also really don't want to see us get killed inside either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom