Buddy or Trevor | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy or Trevor

The coaching staff screwed Cooney.
They aren’t going to screw Buddy.
Cooney shouldn’t have had the burden he had because he wasn’t that type of player. Buddy won’t have that burden .
It’s simple if Cooney player less MPG he was fine. He just played superstar minutes which he wasn’t close to that type of player.
Buddy will never play superstar minutes for 3 seasons. He may get some games in the 30s as a upperclassmen but not as a Sophomore for 3 years in a row.

* Recruiting sanctions screwed our roster to where Cooney was often the only guy with a prayer of making a 20 footer.

We look well set up for Buddy to be a great piece, I agree. We’re going to have other shooters, other scorers, ball handlers, etc.

I think he will by the end of his career. That shot looks too pure for him not to be a major factor here.

As for this year: he’s our 4th guard. And we should remember that James Southerland once hit like 8 3’s in an exhibition very early in his career. Pretty sure he either sat the bench or redshirted that season? I don’t think Buddy will be scoring 20 or whatever in a real game this season. I think later in his career it will happen often though.

What are the chances Buddy gets more minutes than Carey?

What are the chances Buddy gets more minutes than Carey?

I heavily doubt it. Which excites me.

Though they both bring something that our team was missing last year. A guy who can really shoot it. And a guy who can get out in transition and finish and who can go by people off the dribble.

Buddy will start at the 2 next year IMO and will have more shooting talent around him than Cooney had most of his career.

I think they’re a little bit different players though. Buddy seems to have better basketball IQ.

Buddy will start at the 2 next year IMO and will have more shooting talent around him than Cooney had most of his career.

I think they’re a little bit different players though. Buddy seems to have better basketball IQ.

No offense to Howard and Battle. I think they will be a rock solid starting backcourt this year.

But the prospect of having a more traditional PG and SG in a Carey/Boeheim backcourt in the future excites me.

And I know Carey is a “scoring guard” but what I mean is he brings that dynamic speed and explosiveness off the dribble and in transition that we haven’t had in a long time. Lots of seasons of 6’4-6’7 “combo guards” at the point...with another similar guy at the 2 - often who is a pretty good but not great shooter.

I think a guy with dynamic ability in the open court and off the dribble with a deadeye great shooter next to him could be a heck of an offensive backcourt.

* Recruiting sanctions screwed our roster to where Cooney was often the only guy with a prayer of making a 20 footer.

We look well set up for Buddy to be a great piece, I agree. We’re going to have other shooters, other scorers, ball handlers, etc.
2014 we had Fair, Ennis.
2015 we had Gbinije was the only other threat.
2016 we had Gbinije, Lydon and Richardson who could shoot.

Cooney was asked to do too much.
Nice kid who got superstar minutes. The staff whiffed on having another option on the roster and this was before sanctions kicked in as really it’s been these past 2 years post Cooney they kicked in.
Johnson likely could have been that guy but he didn’t RS and the staff asked him to move on because of the sanctions.
Buddy will never have the expectations put on him that Cooney had.

Who you taking? I know Byddy has played only one exhibition game but...

Buddy has better offensive skills in every facet. Trevor is much better on defense and stronger.

What surprised me most about Buddy was his pull up!
How many final fours has Buddy played in?

Thinking at some point we see:

Buddy vs Matt Roe
Buddy vs Andy Rautins
Buddy vs Jason Cipolla
Buddy vs Marius Janulis
Buddy vs Carmelo
Buddy vs sherm
Buddy vs Pearl...

Then he’ll have his first 1-10, 0-7 from 3 with 5 turnovers and he’ll be the newly anointed “worst shooter we’ve ever recruited” and is only on the team because of his last name and should have gone D3.

Followed by his father can only recruit family members and should have hung it up years ago.

Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah, and fire Desko.

Buddy vs Carmelo
Buddy vs sherm
Buddy vs Pearl...

Then he’ll have his first 1-10, 0-7 from 3 with 5 turnovers and he’ll be the newly anointed “worst shooter we’ve ever recruited” and is only on the team because of his last name and should have gone D3.

Followed by his father can only recruit family members and should have hung it up years ago.

Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah, and fire Desko.

I was sticking to the “white guys that shoot 3’s” have to be compared to other “white guys that shoot 3’s” thing for now.

Wow talk about jumping the gun. Buddy had a nice game but let’s pump the brakes on this for a month or two

No offense to Howard and Battle. I think they will be a rock solid starting backcourt this year.

But the prospect of having a more traditional PG and SG in a Carey/Boeheim backcourt in the future excites me.

And I know Carey is a “scoring guard” but what I mean is he brings that dynamic speed and explosiveness off the dribble and in transition that we haven’t had in a long time. Lots of seasons of 6’4-6’7 “combo guards” at the point...with another similar guy at the 2 - often who is a pretty good but not great shooter.

I think a guy with dynamic ability in the open court and off the dribble with a deadeye great shooter next to him could be a heck of an offensive backcourt.

Carey is not a traditional PG. Time will tell if he can become one. His HS and AAU games he rarely got any assists. He is very capable of getting to the basket and at creating his own shot. But as a distributor and setting others up we’ll have to see.

Carey is not a traditional PG. Time will tell if he can become one. His HS and AAU games he rarely got any assists. He is very capable of getting to the basket and at creating his own shot. But as a distributor and setting others up we’ll have to see.

Right. I meant more in the sense of quickness and the ability to penetrate, and also to push in transition.

As great as Gbinije was for us and for all the positives Howard brings, you lose the speed and easy baskets and penetration when you play guys like that at point.

Historically (before the last 5 years or so) I think Howard would be a two at Cuse, and Mike would be more of a 2-3 like he was his first couple years here.

Wow talk about jumping the gun. Buddy had a nice game but let’s pump the brakes on this for a month or two
The last time I jumped the gun was Michael Gbinije
That worked out pretty well.
I talked with a few coaches who have worked both about last year.

G
Buddy vs Carmelo
Buddy vs sherm
Buddy vs Pearl...

Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah, and fire Desko.
Gerry's fault.

I think the better question is Buddy vs Dave Bing, who you got? I mean it has to be Buddy right? He has played no official games but has scored 19 points so far. That puts him on pace to score, over a 4 year career, a minimum of infinity points! That’s minimum!!1!!!

Not sure why I just read through nearly two pages of posts on a player that has not even played in his first official game at Syracuse yet but I did come up with an interesting question. Who gets credit for recruiting Buddy?

Not sure why I just read through nearly two pages of posts on a player that has not even played in his first official game at Syracuse yet but I did come up with an interesting question. Who gets credit for recruiting Buddy?
Has to be Pitino. JAB never would have met Julie if it wasn't for Pitino. Then they never would have begat Buddy. Any other questions?

Who you taking? I know Buddy has played only one exhibition game but...

Buddy has better offensive skills in every facet. Trevor is much better on defense and stronger.

What surprised me most about Buddy was his pull up!

Buddy is the more advanced offensive player. He can stop and pop. When Trevor was moving fast, he did not stop on a dime. He drifted as he shot. In addition, it seems that Buddy will be clutch; ice water rather than shaky potatoes. Trevor was bigger and stronger and probably a better defender.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom