Buddy or Trevor | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy or Trevor

Waaaaaaay too early. But Boeheim did stuff against that D-III opponent that I don't remember Cooney doing in his first three years, if at all. He looks like a more well-rounded and intelligent offensive player. Again, way too soon to tell, but I've got higher hopes than I had a week ago.

Let's see how he does against the Dolphins tomorrow. Then we'll talk.

HOW MUCH DO YOU NEED TO SEE BEFORE YOU'RE COMFORTABLE DECLARING THAT AN UNPROVEN FRESHMAN IS BETTER THAN A THREE-YEAR STARTER WHO WAS PART OF TWO FINAL FOUR TEAMS?

TWO exhibition games???
I don't know about better, but I can tell you this, I like the look of Buddy's game a bit more already.

HOW MUCH DO YOU NEED TO SEE BEFORE YOU'RE COMFORTABLE DECLARING THAT AN UNPROVEN FRESHMAN IS BETTER THAN A THREE-YEAR STARTER WHO WAS PART OF TWO FINAL FOUR TEAMS?

TWO exhibition games???
I don't need to see anymore. Buddy is no shakey potatoes as far as I'm concerned.

How about we let him play at least one regular season game (or for that matter, one season) before we compare him to a guy who stands 3rd in career 3 pt shots made, and is top 10 in games played for Syracuse? View attachment 142728

Seriously, some postings seem almost “RussianBot-like” on this forum.
The kid has played ONE(1) exhibition game, & some are ready to poop all over Trevor Cooney in their rush to overreact?
Cooney played in 2 FINAL 4’s- can Buddy finish a regular season game before we start w/ the comparisons?
Ridiculously premature, guys. Sheesh

Seriously, some postings seem almost “RussianBot-like” on this forum.
The kid has played ONE(1) exhibition game, & some are ready to poop all over Trevor Cooney in their rush to overreact?
Cooney played in 2 FINAL 4’s- can Buddy finish a regular season game before we start w/ the comparisons?
Ridiculously premature, guys. Sheesh

Yes. With enthusiasm!
I'm not sure what 2 SU Final Fours have to do with Trevor Cooney's skills or Buddy Boeheim's skills...

Yes. With enthusiasm!
I'm not sure what 2 SU Final Fours have to do with Trevor Cooney's skills or Buddy Boeheim's skills...
Point being, we cannot make a comparison of said skills with a data set of one exhibition game, versus full seasons ending in FF’s.
Trevor was good enough to play on, and contribute to those teams.
Buddy has played in ONE (1) EXHIBITION GAME, FFS!
He’s not yet faced an ACC defense and produced, not to mention seen a Big Dance atmosphere. What if he freezes under pressure?
What was it about the other night that could convince any sane person that a comparison should even be suggested- what, because they’re both white guys who can shoot?

Last edited:
The coaching staff screwed Cooney.
They aren’t going to screw Buddy.
Cooney shouldn’t have had the burden he had because he wasn’t that type of player. Buddy won’t have that burden .
It’s simple if Cooney player less MPG he was fine. He just played superstar minutes which he wasn’t close to that type of player.
Buddy will never play superstar minutes for 3 seasons. He may get some games in the 30s as a upperclassmen but not as a Sophomore for 3 years in a row.
I have never seen a player run as much as Cooney did on offense. He was constantly running around screens trying to get open. I don't know how he had the strength to get off a shot late in games. I was never a huge fan of Cooney but his style of play certainly impacted his overall performance -- negatively.

Point being, we cannot make a comparison of said skills with a data set of one exhibition game, versus full seasons ending in FF’s.
Trevor was good enough to play on, and contribute to those teams.
Buddy has played in ONE (1) EXHIBITION GAME, FFS!
He’s not yet faced an ACC defense and produced, not to mention seen a Big Dance atmosphere. What if he freezes under pressure?
What was it about the other night that could convince any sane person that a comparison should even be suggested- what, because they’re both white guys who can shoot?

I agree that we can't make a comparison based on one game, much less one played against D-III kids. I think the comparison of two starting off-guards of extremely recent vintage is fair, though. We just can't draw any reasonable conclusions from it yet.

I have never seen a player run as much as Cooney did on offense. He was constantly running around screens trying to get open. I don't know how he had the strength to get off a shot late in games. I was never a huge fan of Cooney but his style of play certainly impacted his overall performance -- negatively.

He was running the offense the coach instituted. Don't blame the player for that. Triche used to run the same plays, resulting in too many off balance shots going away from instead of toward the basket. Rautins the same.

He was running the offense the coach instituted. Don't blame the player for that. Triche used to run the same plays, resulting in too many off balance shots going away from instead of toward the basket. Rautins the same.
I wasn't blaming anyone, player or coach. Just stating what I saw. I don't remember Triche and Rautins running off screens to the extent Cooney did, but you could be correct.

It’s more fun to make an early projection then to say Hughes is better than Ron Patterson

Many went to the first practice with melo
You could tell he was the best

it’s not that difficult to see Buddy has more skill than Trevor and has a good chance to have a more productive personal career.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the better question is Buddy vs Dave Bing, who you got? I mean it has to be Buddy right? He has played no official games but has scored 19 points so far. That puts him on pace to score, over a 4 year career, a minimum of infinity points! That’s minimum!!1!!!

Those two are close, but I'm going with Bing (at least until after Tuesday).

Cooney has two final fours though, so obviously Cooney is better than both. Combined. No comparison needed.

TWO FINAL FOURS!

Two.

Not one.

Not zero.

Two.

Los Ultimos Cuatro! Dos!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics