Buddy | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy

carey was 0-2 from the floor. not good but it's only 2 shots. buddy's 3-11 netted us just 9 points.
9 points is better than 0 but clearly taking a 11 shots to get there is not that efficient.

Problem with Carey was not so much the 0-2, it was that he had 4 turnovers. And no assists, rebounds, or steals, or anything positive. His stat line was brutal.

At least the bench played. You must be happy.:rolleyes:

Since Barrett and Jones played all 40, and our bench played a lot - he should be predicting a Syracuse win if the thing he’s been railing on in every post the last few years is really that important.

My theory on that is the players see Buddy playing and lost their desire due to it. It goes deeper than this one game, it's during practice too, players are likely asking questions to each other.

This theory is ridiculous.

Buddy's minutes, since Howard returned, with the exception of the second half yesterday, have dropped off precipitously. What would other players have to be upset about or are you arguing he shouldn't be getting minutes in blow outs either?

He has had double digit minutes 5x since Howard became available again.

Colgate
Northeastern
Arkansas State
St. Bonaventure
Ga Tech

Except for Ga Tech, these games were blow outs in which we should be trying to develop additional help. Who is upset, the walk-ons?

I don't see how posters and fans are upset at Buddy's usage yesterday. Where was Tyus? Where was Frank? Where was Elijah? If two of the three showed up yesterday, Buddy doesn't get thrown into a position where he puts up 11 shots. Blame those three for Jim leaning on Buddy as much as he did.

The fact that defense is even an issue shows how bad our offense is. Their bigs roasted us inside more than anything.

And you’re making excuses for Carey. He had 4 turnovers in 12 minutes. He’s a good athlete, but that’s it right now. He needs a ton of skill refinement and I’m not sure what changed Fromm UConn to now.

The only way this team is going to win consistently is with solid defense. Most of the squad can not shoot so they need to be stellar on the defensive end.

The only way this team is going to win consistently is with solid defense. Most of the squad can not shoot so they need to be stellar on the defensive end.

I agree with that and I hate to use the Q word, but it looked like some of our starters quit at the beginning of the second half because they were so frustrated on O.

Buddy is far from the reason su lost. Buddy is also very slow defensively and a liability often at that end. Both of those things can occur.

Fundamentals like footwork before the shot, how to come off screens in different ways, different ways to shoot off the dribble, off jabs, etc. sure.

But the actual shot? These guys have been playing the game and shooting the ball for so long at that point. Minor tweaks, ok. But it’s hard to change too much at that point IMO. It’s like relearning how to shoot.
Battles has totally changed (for the worse)

Buddy is far from the reason su lost. Buddy is also very slow defensively and a liability often at that end. Both of those things can occur.
Is it just me or does he stand and run flat footed? Proper technique would make a world of difference with his speed and quickness.

My theory on that is the players see Buddy playing and lost their desire due to it. It goes deeper than this one game, it's during practice too, players are likely asking questions to each other.

Oh, no disrespect, but I call bull on that. That is some weak ass sauce if the players think that way because Buddy is getting 8 minutes a game. Everybody else in the rotation plays more minutes than Buddy.

In case you - or more importantly, THEY - didn't notice, Battle is shooting 28% from three, Frank Howard and Oshae are both shooting 26% - ALL of them are shooting about 5 points WORSE than last year, and Carey is shooting 22% from three, worse than Buddy.

And everybody admits, even his detractors, that Buddy has a great stroke. So why the hell not give Buddy a chance to grow into a role that we very plainly NEED on this team?

I agree with that and I hate to use the Q word, but it looked like some of our starters quit at the beginning of the second half because they were so frustrated on O.

And whose fault is that? They could move without the ball and not just jack up threes. Just sayin'.

Honestly, I hope you're right but I think it was a mistake to bring in Buddy.

How good was Andy Rautins as a frosh? How good was Shakey Potatoes?

The only odd thing to me is that historically we've had some Frosh "shooters" that were pretty athletic, and they weren't really ever allowed to shoot through slumps. They weren't allowed to do that - they couldn't supplant returning players....under any circumstances. They pretty much got glued to the bench - even when we were somewhat desperate for shooting. I'm not sure why we're being more patient with Buddy.

He may "know" the game - but he's pretty subpar defensively, and JB's big reason for not playing anyone else is always that they suck at defense.

I don't really care though - I always felt like we needed to play these other guys as Frosh a bit more, so I can't complain now. And this team is a mess, so JB might as well have some fun and play his kid, because whatever he and the rest of the coaches are doing to/with everyone else is clearly NOT working as they're all turning into a dumpster fire.

Oh, no disrespect, but I call bull on that. That is some weak ass sauce if the players think that way because Buddy is getting 8 minutes a game. Everybody else in the rotation plays more minutes than Buddy.

In case you - or more importantly, THEY - didn't notice, Battle is shooting 28% from three, Frank Howard and Oshae are both shooting 26% - ALL of them are shooting about 5 points WORSE than last year, and Carey is shooting 22% from three, worse than Buddy.

And everybody admits, even his detractors, that Buddy has a great stroke. So why the hell not give Buddy a chance to grow into a role that we very plainly NEED on this team?

True, but he's also Coaches son and that usually causes issues unless they are clearly better. I noticed that one breakaway for GT showed Buddy under our basket, even Dakich mentioned it.. That is a sure hook for anyone else.

Same. Wouldn’t be opposed to seeing Braswell either.
there's zero reason braswell shouldnt be getting equal or more minutes than buddy based on performance.

at minimum - i am certain braswell would be better in a press - long fast and quick.

there's zero reason braswell shouldnt be getting equal or more minutes than buddy based on performance.

at minimum - i am certain braswell would be better in a press - long fast and quick.

Skills more important than athleticism. Long unskilled athletes are the reason our offense stinks.

Lol this is crazy talk.

Carey played the majority of those minutes before the extended run in the 2nd half. So did the rest of the team. The starters created the deficit.
carey has been yanked out of multiple games for SLIGHT mistakes - taking a shot late in the shot clock, shooting a 3 when wide open - if i was him and saw the leash buddy gets, i might be thinking twice.

IDK what is going in carey's head - but he was brash and full of swagger vs uconn - certainly raw and had mistakes - but also got some key buckets/steals too - now - he's tentative and not a threat at all.

i tink getting yanked out of games for shooting might be the issue here...

i prefer the original style he had earlier in the year to how he is playing now - is that due to coaching? fear ? a short leash playing mind tricks on him? idk.

he's not ready to be the main PG on a top 10 top 25 team - its good that he's being eased into a role next year - but he should be getting more than 10 minutes if buddy is getting 20, imo.

carey is shooting 41% FG this year - buddy is at 25% - its not even close.

Skills more important than athleticism. Long unskilled athletes are the reason our offense stinks.
skills aint helping in a press when you are too slow to jump passing lanes or recover when beaten - athleticism trumps skills while pressing 100% of the time.

See I think we are in desperate need of NOT TAKING 3 pointers.

Boeheim the Defensive Coach on zones: The three is a low percentage shot. That's not how you beat a zone. I want teams to shoot over the zone because more often than not, they'll miss and we'll win.
Boeheim the Offensive Coach on zones: Bombs away!

Can't believe a Syracuse beat writer won't point out this inconsistency.

People need to relax. Yesterday is the only game Buddy has got extended time. He made a couple of threes and JB hoped he might make a few. Carey wasn’t going to happen help our scoring.

The only odd thing to me is that historically we've had some Frosh "shooters" that were pretty athletic, and they weren't really ever allowed to shoot through slumps. They weren't allowed to do that - they couldn't supplant returning players...under any circumstances. .

Who is the returning player that has Buddy "supplanted"?

I must have completely missed that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom