Buffalo Bills 2020 Thread | Page 46 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2020 Thread

can someone explain to me why they think the offense and team overall always comes out a house afire and then suddenly hits a dead spot? is there something schematic where we get a lead and start calling plays differently even early in the game? this is sort of stupid.

can someone explain to me why they think the offense and team overall always comes out a house afire and then suddenly hits a dead spot? is there something schematic where we get a lead and start calling plays differently even early in the game? this is sort of stupid.
Third Quarters are a major issue. I have no idea what the problem is.

I thought we might have kicked the habit when our Defense stopped them around midfield out of halftime and we went down for a TD, but to not avail as the rest of the quarter was another dumpster fire.

To make it even more strange is when it becomes do or die for the offense, they’ve come out and drove the field for a TD to put the game on ice.

Second half defense and third quarters are something we really need to get straightened out if we want to win this division.

It's really frustrating.

Just thinking, it always seems that when an offense really exposes the Bills defense that McDermott and Frazier can make the adjustments after a week or two and at least put a stop gap or plug on it. This game reminds of the Eagles game last year or the Saints game a couple years when our defense was just crushed. Now, we at least have an offense that can score some points to offset. Have to think that the Raiders will be trying much of the same that the Rams have exposed. Nickel corner was torched yesterday and the D Line has been pedestrian at best. Raider/ Titans/ Chiefs next three the Bills have their work cut out for them on defense

Epinessa was all over the field making plays but he looks pretty thin, like a taller linebacker or a power forward playing DE. I am not commenting on his performance as much but long term he needs to add some bulk especially lower body.

Imagine being a Jets fan with Mims never playing, meanwhile, in a draft where their GM was criminal for not taking two WR’s, the guy we grab to add to a loaded roster, balls out in a game where John Brown couldn’t really go.

Not sure if this was your point or not, but Mims isn't playing because he's on injured reserve.

Couple thoughts this morning:

1) Feels great to be 3-0. As Parcells said, you are what your record says you are. I guarantee that past Bills teams would have found a way to lose yesterday (and this version nearly did). But the upcoming schedule is a gauntlet; it could be easy to see things snowball had the Rams pulled that out.

2) For a brief moment I believed that Buffalo had solved the third quarter swoon but wow is this still a problem. I won't even venture a guess on the reasons but talk about a complete collapse. As we said after the Houston loss- you are who you are, and if the Bills can't fix this it will bite them when it matters most.

3) I'm perplexed at the defense collapsing like that- they looked all-world for the first 2.25 quarters and then looked like a Chan Gailey defense. Edmunds had a really rough game, let's hope that resolves itself once his health improves. Getting Norman back can only help the secondary. Chalk this one up to a well coached team on the other side making adjustments and Buffalo playing a little too lax with the lead. I would be shocked if McDermott isn't challenging them after the win- which is a great place to be.

4) That said, how good does it feel to have an offense that can win games for us? Finally- three consecutive 300 yard passing games. After watching Tyrod Taylor lead the universe in passes not attempted it's wonderful to watch a dynamic offense. But we really have to hope John Brown is okay so the full arsenal is on display. Gabe Davis, what a draft pick. Guy looks the part and is producing.

5) Bills 3-0; Patriots 2-1. Definitely won't be a cakewalk this year; going to need to take the crown from them.

6) At Vegas is a winnable game; would love to be 4-0 with Tennessee and Kansas City on the horizon. Of all the years to not be able to attend games...certainly not a tragedy given the very real tragedy of COVID but d@mn would it be great to attend some of these primetime games in person...

Not sure if this was your point or not, but Mims isn't playing because he's on injured reserve.
Yea.. that’s what I’m getting at.

Their GM went out and signed an injury prone flyer to replace Robbie Anderson, and then drafted Mims... that’s it... on a team desperate for playmakers in the deepest WR draft ever.

They’ve had bad luck, but they could easily have Gabriel Davis as well.

Not sure how they evaluate Darnold at all. His OL is terrible outside Becton, running backs are trash and his healthy WRs are Hogan and Berrios...

Yea.. that’s what I’m getting at.

Their GM went out and signed an injury prone flyer to replace Robbie Anderson, and then drafted Mims... that’s it... on a team desperate for playmakers in the deepest WR draft ever.

They’ve had bad luck, but they could easily have Gabriel Davis as well.

Not sure how they evaluate Darnold at all. His OL is terrible outside Becton, running backs are trash and his healthy WRs are Hogan and Berrios...

Yeah, unfortunately I think they need to move on from Darnold without really even knowing if he's the guy or not. They've just totally screwed the pooch with him. He's going to be due for an extension before you see him surrounded by a semblance of a functional team.

1) Feels great to be 3-0. As Parcells said, you are what your record says you are. I guarantee that past Bills teams would have found a way to lose yesterday (and this version nearly did). But the upcoming schedule is a gauntlet; it could be easy to see things snowball had the Rams pulled that out.

2) For a brief moment I believed that Buffalo had solved the third quarter swoon but wow is this still a problem. I won't even venture a guess on the reasons but talk about a complete collapse. As we said after the Houston loss- you are who you are, and if the Bills can't fix this it will bite them when it matters most.

3) I'm perplexed at the defense collapsing like that- they looked all-world for the first 2.25 quarters and then looked like a Chan Gailey defense. Edmunds had a really rough game, let's hope that resolves itself once his health improves. Getting Norman back can only help the secondary. Chalk this one up to a well coached team on the other side making adjustments and Buffalo playing a little too lax with the lead. I would be shocked if McDermott isn't challenging them after the win- which is a great place to be.

4) That said, how good does it feel to have an offense that can win games for us? Finally- three consecutive 300 yard passing games. After watching Tyrod Taylor lead the universe in passes not attempted it's wonderful to watch a dynamic offense. But we really have to hope John Brown is okay so the full arsenal is on display. Gabe Davis, what a draft pick. Guy looks the part and is producing.

5) Bills 3-0; Patriots 2-1. Definitely won't be a cakewalk this year; going to need to take the crown from them.

6) At Vegas is a winnable game; would love to be 4-0 with Tennessee and Kansas City on the horizon. Of all the years to not be able to attend games...certainly not a tragedy given the very real tragedy of COVID but d@mn would it be great to attend some of these primetime games in person...
The defensive issues make me more annoyed than they should given how much we’ve invested on that side of the ball.

Top 10 pick Oliver.
Round 2 pick Epenesa
Round 3 pick Harry
FA $$$ for Butler and Jefferson
Murphy with a sizeable cap hit
Hughes and Addison with decent contracts
1st Round Pick Edmunds
2nd highest paid CB
Poyer extension

Get it together... way too much talent for this garbage defense we’re seeing.

We may have been misled at how elite they are based on last years easy street of horrible QBs we faced, but my goodness...

To note.. every year under McD and Frazier, we’ve had a 2-3 game stretch where our defense looks awful and then it always gets fixed.

Last edited:
The defensive issues make me more annoyed than they should given how much we’ve invested on that side of the ball.

Top 10 pick Oliver.
Round 2 pick Epenesa
Round 3 pick Harry
1st Round Pick Edmunds
2nd highest paid CB
Poyer extension

We may have been misled at how elite they are based on last years easy street of horrible QBs we faced, but my goodness...

To note.. every year under McD and Frazier, we’ve had a 2-3 game stretch where our defense looks awful and then it always gets fixed.

Could not agree more, I think McDermott and Frazier will right the ship here.

Top 10 pick Oliver.
Round 2 pick Epenesa
Round 3 pick Harry
1st Round Pick Edmunds
2nd highest paid CB
Poyer extension

I think at least part of it boils down to the Rams simply being a good offensive team. Obviously the Jets are a laughing stock, but to put things in perspective, at least for now the Bills defense ranks #12 in points allowed per drive and #8 in yards allowed per drive. Certainly not as good as they were a year ago but still fine so far. Also had none of our LBs against Miami and Edmunds didn't really look right yesterday. I think the coaching staff and most of these players have earned the benefit of the doubt to give them some more time to settle in. The Rams were definitely able to expose some of our tackling issues though.

Last edited:
I think at least part of it boils down to the Rams simply being a good offensive team. Obviously the Jets are a laughing stock, but to put things in perspective, at least for now the Bills defense ranks #12 in points allowed per drive and #8 in yards allowed per drive. Certainly not as good as they were a year ago but still fine so far. Also had none of our LBs against Miami and Edmunds didn't really look right yesterday. I think the coaching staff and most of these players have earned the benefit of the doubt to give them some more time to settle in. The Rams were definitely able to expose some of our tackling issues though.

Agreed, a lot of the 2nd half had me thinking that maybe McVay is who the media has portrayed him as since he took over as the HC at the Rams. Last year they had a ton of injuries and I am certainly never overly impressed with Goff so it has to be something or someone probably Sean McVay. He looked to be two steps ahead of the Bills D the entire 2nd half. Donald is an absolute monster as well and his reputation as the best defensive player in the NFL is probably warranted

Maybe Star is a much more important piece than we all realized?

Space eaters are important, particularly against the run.

we were gashed in the run game even with Star in a few games last season.

The tackling is a serious issue and has been for a few years now.

good post. I’m probably in the minority here, but I don’t think that the defense played well yesterday in the first half, or in either the Jets or Dolphins games.

Edmunds just looks totally lost out there at times. And I’m not sure what’s up with Tre, but he’s been off this year.

good post. I’m probably in the minority here, but I don’t think that the defense played well yesterday in the first half, or in either the Jets or Dolphins games.

Edmunds just looks totally lost out there at times. And I’m not sure what’s up with Tre, but he’s been off this year.
Not sure what the coverage was on the Kupp TD, but seeing White 5 yards behind him as Kupp walked into the end zone wasn’t a great look.

Granted, Ramsey also gave up a TD to Diggs. If you have a CB that you only notice once or twice a game, they are probably doing more good than bad.

I actually agree that the defense has looked meh all year. Jets offense looked the best they’ve looked all year against us... “Fitz was on a heater”...“Rams offense is unstoppable”... at some point the excuses need to stop.

Can’t get gashed in the run game AND get smoked in the passing game. Pick a struggle.

we were gashed in the run game even with Star in a few games last season.

The tackling is a serious issue and has been for a few years now.

I don't think any fan of any team college or pro thinks that their teams tackling is above par. The way football is practiced these days probably has a lot to do with it but just seems everywhere I read tackling is the biggest complaint of fans, that and play calling.

I do agree that the D has looked pretty pedestrian this year but I think it will get better. Hopefully, Norman can help in the secondary as well. But the D line needs some push too. Seems all the pressure comes off designed blitzes.

Still 3-0 with a ton of work to do on defense but they are going to need to win a few this year as well

The LBs started selling out to stop run yesterday and that's when the Rams make you pay. The run defense is never going to be elite cause they invest in athletic D lineman instead of size. The pass defense needs to be better, they've been great in the first halves this year but need to step up in the second halves.

I don't think any fan of any team college or pro thinks that their teams tackling is above par. The way football is practiced these days probably has a lot to do with it but just seems everywhere I read tackling is the biggest complaint of fans, that and play calling.

I do agree that the D has looked pretty pedestrian this year but I think it will get better. Hopefully, Norman can help in the secondary as well. But the D line needs some push too. Seems all the pressure comes off designed blitzes.

Still 3-0 with a ton of work to do on defense but they are going to need to win a few this year as well

The D line has been a major major major issue. Whens the last time your heard Ed Olivers name or Hughes or god forbid Murphy. DT has been a struggle with Starr out, is Harry even playing? Gotta get more from these guys.

The D line has been a major major major issue. Whens the last time your heard Ed Olivers name or Hughes or god forbid Murphy. DT has been a struggle with Starr out, is Harry even playing? Gotta get more from these guys.
Ed Oliver always seems to grade out well whenever I read the All-22 and analytics reviews.

The DL actually ranked first in pressure rate through 2 weeks, but Sam and Fitz got the ball out quick enough to avoid sacks.

Against the Rams, the DL looked overmatched. The Rams OL is very good, and they mauled us in the run game and we weren’t getting any pressure with 4 man rushes, especially once their offense got rolling in the second half.

The Rams offense is probably going to steamroll a lot of teams this year, but that doesn’t excuse no punts and 4 TD drives in a row...coming off the heels of Fitz smoking this defense the week before.

They gave up 3 points to one of the best offenses in the league in the 1st half. If that's not playing well then man am I excited about the possibilities.

Was able to look it up and our offense is 2nd in the league in 1st half scoring (Possibly 1st depending on what Baltimore does tonight). But then drops to 20th in the 2nd half.

Defense - 1st in the league in 1st half scoring. 30th in 2nd half.

A lot of noise in those numbers with game flow while playing with the lead and also a small sample size but man are those drastically different numbers.

Last edited:
Was able to look it up and our offense is 2nd in the league in 1st half scoring (Possibly 1st depending on what Baltimore does tonight). But then drops to 20th in the 2nd half.

Defense - 1st in the league in 1st half scoring. 30th in 2nd half.

A lot of noise in those numbers with game flow and playing with the league and also a small sample size but man are those drastically different numbers.

For sure. 3rd quarter has to be horrendous. I know the offense has been great and the Bills are 3-0 but I thought yesterday was going to be a complete game and easy win for once. I give the Rams credit but still.

Tough 3 game stretch coming