Buffalo Bills training camp: Doug Marrone grows irritated | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills training camp: Doug Marrone grows irritated

He doesn't "bully the media." Marrone's problem is that he cares too much about what he tells the media, and gets frustrated when he can't answer a question to the extent that the media wants him to answer it. He obviously needs to do a better job with this.

That's irrelevant to OrangeFoo's point. People are saying Marrone is "in over his head" as an NFL football coach simply because he got frustrated with incessant media questions about the same topic he had already answered numerous times. The fact that those legends with great track records have a history of also getting frustrated with the media and lecture them on occasion is proof that the "in over his head" argument is BS.
I wonder how those "legends" handled the press in July of their first NFL season? That would be interesting to know.

He doesn't "bully the media." Marrone's problem is that he cares too much about what he tells the media, and gets frustrated when he can't answer a question to the extent that the media wants him to answer it. He obviously needs to do a better job with this.

What's the story with him and DWebb? Does anyone really know?

What's the story with him and DWebb? Does anyone really know?
All I know is that DW repeatedly sought to find out from HCDM what the problem was but DM rebuked him.

I find it interesting that JB can fly off the handle at the press for questions almost exactly like the ones Marrone did and no one says he is over his head or he better look out because the press will eat him up. Yet when Marrone does the same thing it's a huge deal. For instructional purposes everyone should watch videos of Belicheck and Popovich with the press... those guys are in over their head too right?

Double standard much? I think all of the ladies here need to move on and cut their losses with Marrone. Maybe we should have a Syracusefan group cleansing ritual where we all burn our autographed photo's of Marrone in a flame of purification.

Hey! I need to get one of those--and I promise I won't burn it!

I'm in the "Thanks, Doug" camp. He resurrected a dying program. (Thank you, Doug!) So he's moved on--good for him. Maybe we should all consider doing the same?

how predictable was this? It's only going to get worse (better)...

Doug is in over his head. Just answer the damn question. If you have to answer the same question 5 times so be it. Giving a lecture to the media (who has been there before you and will be there after you) is just flat out dumb! Those are the people you need on your side especially since your team isn't very good at all

He is certainly not over his head.

He has a great deal of NFL experience - he had great success as OC for the Saints.

He will do well in Buffalo just as he did very well at Syracuse University - he was a great coach on the Hill.

But he is clearly sensitive to the press, which will be more intense in his present situation than it ever was in CNY.

He has a great deal of NFL experience - he had great success as OC for the Saints.

He will do well in Buffalo just as he did very well at Syracuse University - he was a great coach on the Hill.

But he is clearly sensitive to the press, which will be more intense in his present situation than it ever was in CNY.

Don't think for a second that the media doesn't play a role in whether a coach stays or goes.

If he doesn't succeed in his first three years and continues to have issues dealing with the media, it's all she wrote for Dougy.

He was an offensive coordinator that didn't call the plays. I disagree that he will do well in Buffalo. I also think if he can't handle the press in training camp then he is in for a rude awakening about a month from now.

He was an offensive coordinator that didn't call the plays. I disagree that he will do well in Buffalo. I also think if he can't handle the press in training camp then he is in for a rude awakening about a month from now.
He won't be calling the plays in Buffalo. Head coaches rarely do.

If he doesn't succeed in his first three years and continues to have issues dealing with the media, it's all she wrote for Dougy.

3 years? HA! Mike Mularky got 1 year. Todd Haley won the AFC West and was fired mid-way through the next season. Doug isn't getting 3 years. If they are really bad this year he won't be around next season. He has 2 years and he better make the playoffs once if not he won't see year 3. This is the NFL. It's big business these days...win or go home!

And not to be morbid, but if 94 year old Ralph Wilson dies in the next year or so...that team will be sold and the new owner will clean house and bring in his own front office, which will be the end of Doug's time in Buffalo regardless of what is record is.

He won't be calling the plays in Buffalo. Head coaches rarely do.

In the NFL many head coaches call plays. Shannhan, Payton, Reid, McCarthy just to name a few on offense. On defense Rex calls his own plays. There are more those are just off the top of my head.

Don't think for a second that the media doesn't play a role in whether a coach stays or goes.

half of me thinks he will be successful at the next level DUE TO his all business like wound tight personality as it seems well suited for success in the NFL, but the other half thinks he's going to fail because of his all business wound too tight personality and will literally drive himself over the brink.

If things don't go his way early look out for the Marrone implosions with the press to get interesting.

I know.

And you didn't think he could coach the Orange either.

And you were wrong about that.

In the NFL many head coaches call plays. Shannhan, Payton, Reid, McCarthy just to name a few on offense. On defense Rex calls his own plays. There are more those are just off the top of my head.

Morningwig called the plays in Philly for many years.

"Calling plays" is in many respects a misleading component to football coaching.

The game plan is the game plan - the calls are made based on the game plan, which seeks to develop calls for every down and distance situation.

I know.

And you didn't think he could coach the Orange either.

And you were wrong about that.

Not wrong at all. I think he was a terrible game coach at SU and he benefited from being in a horrible football conference.

So did Chan Gailey. That went well.

Not wrong at all. I think he was a terrible game coach at SU and he benefited from being in a horrible football conference.
head-in-sand_21.jpg

3 years? HA! Mike Mularky got 1 year. Todd Haley won the AFC West and was fired mid-way through the next season. Doug isn't getting 3 years. If they are really bad this year he won't be around next season. He has 2 years and he better make the playoffs once if not he won't see year 3. This is the NFL. It's big business these days...win or go home!

And not to be morbid, but if 94 year old Ralph Wilson dies in the next year or so...that team will be sold and the new owner will clean house and bring in his own front office, which will be the end of Doug's time in Buffalo regardless of what is record is.

Well Mularkey actually was there two full season: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Mularkey

But silly little facts shouldn't matter when someone has a point to make. Anyway. If Chan Gaily and Dick Jauron lasted as long as they did Doug Marrone with certainly get his 3 years. And say Doug has a decent record in Buffalo, you really think new ownership would fire him "regardless of what his record is?" You really are just throwing things out there huh?

Buffalo wont be "really bad" this year. maybe 7-9 but not "really" bad.

Yeah, he was terrible in those eight games SU won last year including that win against that awful Louisville Cardinal squad.

And he was terrible in those wins against Missouri of the SEC and WVU of the Big XII.

Doug is very close with Bills' management. He will have at least 3 years unless he goes 4-28 in yeras 1 & 2, which he won't.

I realize that the NFL is all business, but don't say things like he has 2 years or bust. Russ Brandon loves Doug.

Well Mularkey actually was there two full season: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Mularkey

But silly little facts shouldn't matter when someone has a point to make. .

I was talking about Mularky's time in Jacksonville last year. :rolleyes:

And say Doug has a decent record in Buffalo, you really think new ownership would fire him "regardless of what his record is?" You really are just throwing things out there huh?

It's happened before in the NFL. Lovie Smith won 10 games last year and was fired. Todd Haley won the AFC West and didn't make it a full year the following season. Norv Turner went 8-8 and 7-9 (both "decent") his last two seasons...fired! Jim Caldwell won 10 games in Indy in 2010, one bad year in 2011 due to Peyton getting hurt and he was FIRED! Wade Phillips won the NFC East in 2009, fired mid-way in 2010. 2001 Tony Dungy went 9-7...FIRED that offseason. People with "DECENT" records and coming off "decent seasons" get fired all the time in the NFL. And guys who have 1 bad year are always canned.

I realize that the NFL is all business, but don't say things like he has 2 years or bust. Russ Brandon loves Doug.

What makes you think a new owner would keep Russ Brandon? When a new owner takes over he cleans house top to bottom. Look at Cleveland last year as a prime example!

What makes you think a new owner would keep Russ Brandon? When a new owner takes over he cleans house top to bottom. Look at Cleveland last year as a prime example!

You should let Ralph know when he's dying, he might appreciate it.