Buh Bye Fab | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Buh Bye Fab

Just think: if Fab and Dion both somehow come back (unlikely) and Noel comes here, we could potentially have three lottery picks next year.

Just think: if Fab and Dion both somehow come back (unlikely) and Noel comes here, we could potentially have three lottery picks next year.
I'd feel bad for the cupcake teams we face in november.

good season yes. dominating no. ewing,sampson,olajawan,okafor to name a few.big $$$. a whole nutha league.

melo is in a crucial point in his formational curve. He is unlike most players in that he gains an immense amount of value both skill and knowledge wise with every single game he plays. he has much more to gain coming back than most players with more youth bball experience.

i think it will end up costing him millions if he leaves early.

He has looked flat out unbelievable lately... even the post move where he was blocked, and other thatwas a little strong looked good... I'm sure NBA scouts are taking note... How many 7 footers are in the league that can do what he can do? I don't see how he isn't a lottery... He really needs touches from here on out... Might be hard to get him touches vs a Lville, but against others, absolutely!
I think the BE defensive player of the year is going to be Dieng or Melo. Thought Dieng probably outplayed Melo on defense...4 blocks to 1, a couple of the blocks were really impressive, though Dieng was also beaten down the court by Melo several times in glaring defensive lapses. Dieng has more blocks per game than Melo as well.

But conference awards often serve more as a way to honor the victors than to honor the possibly more deserving. If Syracuse wins the conference and UL finishes in 5th or 6th, Melo will likely get defensive player of the year. That would be two in a row for Syracuse. First time that has happened since Etan Thomas won the award both his junior (98-99) and senior (99-00) seasons. I don't think any other players from Syracuse have ever won this award...

I think we have to look at each player based on their drive and ability to get better, so far Fab has shown that he has both the drive and the ability to get better. Regardless if he comes back here another season or if he goes pro, I actually think he is going to turn out to be a pretty good pro. May not be instantly, but unlike some players that have left to go pro, he is one that you can just tell hes works hard, first by the work he's put in to be in shape and secondly by the improvement of the product you see on the court, can't say I had that same feeling when Donte left early.

I bet he'll be more productive than Greg Oden and that dude was picked #1 overall. :)

hey i don't begrudge any 1st rounder leaving early. all i'm saying is he's not ready.and he'll sit.a lot.

You forgot: He'll make millions doing so.

http://nbadraft.net/2012mock_draft

Projected at #20 and the 4th Center off the board. (Drummond, Leonard, Zeller)

Waiters at # 17 and Joseph #23.

When was the last time we had three guys go in the first round in the same year?

you guys kidding? Fab was the best player on the court... Ricky would take Fab over Dieng in a heartbeat

And he tried ...

When was the last time we had three guys go in the first round in the same year?

To me it's all about how they preform in the tournament if he keeps getting better toward the end he will sky rocket up the charts into the top 10 IMO. NBA guys are going to love his upside since he hasn't been playing that long. I still believe Drummond goes before him but I could see him jumping the other two

Not sure, but we had two go in the top 6 two years ago and neither are doing much, one isn't playing at all two years removed. If these two soph's leave early, I anticipate a comparable plight. KJ will struggle immensely in the NBA until he works on his handle and improves it considerably, otherwise, his NBA career will be very short lived...

I've been very stubborn about Fab staying, because I've been hung up on things he doesn't have yet (established baby hook is one).

But ya' know what, virtually every game he shows some improvement or brings out something new and I think we should enjoy watching this kid this year ... next year he'll be in the league. JB said as much in the presser (Dion's gone too).

Some examples in the last 3 games ... against GT, Fab pulls a shot-fake (on Sims, I believe), puts it on the floor and dunks. The rest of the game, Sims, who is an experienced low post player, basically gets shut down while Fab is on the court. Fab goes for 11/7 with 6 blocks.

Next, against UConn, he's up against one of the top NBA post prospects. He comes out and sinks three jumpers in a row, one from just inside the arc. But he gets beat down the court a couple of times by Drummond (who is an Ox), just barely missing a block of Drummond's transition dunk, and logs 22 minutes with foul trouble. Still goes 4 for 7 and 3 blocks.

Last night at the Dumb Dumb ... brutal defensive game against another long 7 footer. But Fab avoids fouls and plays 37 minutes. Goes for 11/6, including a new move -- Fab puts it on the floor, drives to the rim and almost pulls an NBA forward lay-in move. Beats Dieng down the floor at least twice for big transition dunks.

Fun to watch, and I think we'll see him get much better down the stretch.

This.

I mean, people, Daniel Orton averaged 13 minutes a game for Kentucky and got drafted in the 1st round (29th Overall).

7 foot centers are never ready for the NBA. Because they get paid. Who was the last 7 footer that got drafted that had an instant impact?

If your a 1st round pick, it is NEVER a bad decision to leave early. Everyone likes to cite guys improving their draft statuses, but everyone likes to forget about names like Chris Marcus, Chris Thomas, etc. who didn't declare when the iron was hot and then got derailed by injuries or poor play. The move to come back to college ends up costing those guys millions.

Honestly? Dwight Howard. But then again, hes a freak of nature. Fab is gone. Let's stop kidding ourselves. Barring a major injury hes a lottery pick. If he continues on his progression from the beginning of the year to now, by the time its draft time, hes a top 15 pick, give or take a few spots.

Fab cannot rebound yet. He will be a flop if he goes pro next year. The reason he can't rebound is his second hop is aweful and he has week hands. Love him as a soph in College but slow down on the pro thing, enjoy the year.

I don't think Joseph gets drafted. The other two guys are virtually first round locks. The plays Dion is making at the end of games lately when he drives and finds guys can't be hurting.

I don't think Joseph gets drafted. The other two guys are virtually first round locks. The plays Dion is making at the end of games lately when he drives and finds guys can't be hurting.

Kjo will get drafted, late first early second

We can all see Fab has only scratched the surface. I'm sure NBA scouts can see that too. He doesn't need college ball. He's a pro, he will benefit greatly from 24/7 hoops, coaching and training. And he'll be rich. Sky is the limit. He has the gifts. Appears he has the drive.

Yes, there is an immediate financial benefit to coming back and going top 5. And it's substantial. But if you are gonna go top 15 or 20? You go.

I look at these mock drafts and some have ridiculous players going ahead of him. Patrick Young comes to mind. Melo also seems like a guy who will kill it in individual workouts. I just don't see how he isn't a top 15 pick. And rising.

We can make a friendly wager on this in the future. Joseph in the first round especially is laughable.

Likely ? No but to say its laughable is laughable..just need one team to like you...hes a very good player were not talking about billy celuk here

Whenever I see these threads I just think BJ Mullens. That guy got draft 24th and is playing 22 minutes a game. That is enough for me to think Melo gets drafted first round and could get minutes and a 2nd contract after 3 years in the NBA

This.

7 foot centers are never ready for the NBA. Because they get paid. Who was the last 7 footer that got drafted that had an instant impact?.

Greg Monroe... Demarcus Cousins... both of those guys are pretty nasty right now. Monroe might be the most underrated player in the league.

From an outsiders prospective. Fab could definitely be drafted in the first round this year. He has a good amount of potential still and looks like he has some great stuff to work with. He has some flaws which wouldn't be as big a deal if he were 18 but at 22ish, it doesn't help.

I think he could end up like Tyson Chandler type player on the right team and with the right coach and PG.

Fab has shown to be a defensive force and a solid rebounder. He has shown he can finish at the rim and has solid shooting mechanics.

I haven't seen much of a face-up or post-up game from him at all. Most of his game is dunking putbacks or dunking easy passes. I'm not denigrating him, just stating what I have seen. If he shows he can do either of those (post/face up) then he would likely be a lottery pick. He had a good game shooting against UConn and his 3 jumpers against UConn looked good, but with such a small number made of that nature this season, it seems a bit fluky. This doesn't make it a negative, but I don't think it's something you point to and say, "he will hit the 18 footer in the NBA". It's a positive he has good shooting mechanics though.

His playing the zone is a bit of a concern because zone defenders stats (blocks esp.) can be skewed quite a bit. The plus is that the NBA is playing more zone now than ever before (though in a different way than at Cuse). A second thing that would concern me is his foul trouble. He gets in a lot of foul trouble and plays limited minutes which may be masking his flaws.

He also gets up and down the court well for a 7 footer, maybe not as fast as Anthony Davis or Drummond but pretty fast. Most importantly, he doesn't walk/move like an old man (Oden/Thabeet).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom